GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fine Metal Shavings in DSG Fluid

ASRman

Just had my first DSG service done on my 7.5 R as it's coming close to 40k and I like to be safe rather than sorry. Tech noted some very fine metal shavings in the oil which I presume are from a hard break in procedure. The car drives absolutely fine and have noticed no jerky changes however I'm concerned as to the presence of the fine metal found in the oil.

Question is, is this normal? Interested to know if others have or haven't noted the same on replacement of DSG fluid.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
small amounts, especially at the first service is normal, as long as it isn't excessive or big shards its normal.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Bringing this one back from the dead. I did a DYI service today and noticed small specs of metal in the fluid. Where’s the line in this being normal vs. abnormal? The filter was clean, no metal.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Bringing this one back from the dead. I did a DYI service today and noticed small specs of metal in the fluid. Where’s the line in this being normal vs. abnormal? The filter was clean, no metal.
Have you ever noticed it on previous fluid changes? Since the filter was clean it doesn't seem like a problem unless it just started which there's no way of knowing.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Have you ever noticed it on previous fluid changes? Since the filter was clean it doesn't seem like a problem unless it just started which there's no way of knowing.
This is the first one I've done myself, the previous three were all done at VW/Audi shops and they didn't say anything. After seeing this thread, I'm going to try to put it out of mind knowing that I've meticulously kept up with maintenance and have no drivability issues.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is the first one I've done myself, the previous three were all done at VW/Audi shops and they didn't say anything. After seeing this thread, I'm going to try to put it out of mind knowing that I've meticulously kept up with maintenance and have no drivability issues.
I did a used oil analysis on the DSG fluid that came out of mine at its first change at 40K. Lots of metal which is normal in a trans. I'll post it tomorrow.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here is my VW factory fill DSG fluid UOA. I'll do one on the Liquimoly fluid in there now soon when I change it out. Read the notes that Blackstone has.

OilReports-page-001 (1).jpg

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Totally normal. I had a Trans fluid service done at a dealer on my old Rabbit (90,000 miles) and they found same thing and said I needed a new transmission.
Guess what, it's still going at 155,000 and trans works fine. People get so worked up over the slightest thing. It's a machine, it is going to wear.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Totally normal. I had a Trans fluid service done at a dealer on my old Rabbit (90,000 miles) and they found same thing and said I needed a new transmission.
Guess what, it's still going at 155,000 and trans works fine. People get so worked up over the slightest thing. It's a machine, it is going to wear.
Just read BS's commentary in my UOA above - says it all...transmissions make a lot of metal. I mean it's gears litterally grinding together.