GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally Got High Beam Assist (Light Assist) Working

rodon

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally got around to this last weekend. Coding instructions were perfect, thanks. Worked on my 2016 DAP. Have only tested it a few times, but having a hard time getting it to work. Thinking I live near too much light. Need to find a dark road away from street lights to further test. Would be nice to tweak the sensitivity as you've suggested. Did you find a way to code it?

Maybe it is set to ‘very sensitive’ now?
On my MY 19 R, there are two sensitivity settings from the factory, which you can switch between by holding the stalk forward for 30 seconds. The hi beam/A icon flashes to confirm the change. I only found this out by RTFM’ing.
That said, I find the most sensitive option to be useless for me. My commute involves some very dark back roads, and the hi beams will switch on and then go right back to low if there is a road sign to reflect light (does not ever do that on the ‘low sensitivity’ setting). But it might be useful for in-town driving.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Maybe it is set to ‘very sensitive’ now?

On my MY 19 R, there are two sensitivity settings from the factory, which you can switch between by holding the stalk forward for 30 seconds. The hi beam/A icon flashes to confirm the change. I only found this out by RTFM’ing.

That said, I find the most sensitive option to be useless for me. My commute involves some very dark back roads, and the hi beams will switch on and then go right back to low if there is a road sign to reflect light (does not ever do that on the ‘low sensitivity’ setting). But it might be useful for in-town driving.

Wow I didn’t know this! Thanks I’ll try it.

Sent from Winterfell using Ravens.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Wow I didn’t know this! Thanks I’ll try it.

Weird. Didn’t work for me. Do you hold it forward from off (A showing) or forward from on (A not showing)?

chahrichakib

Manually change Byte 2 from 1A to 2A.
2B would be a manual car if memory serves correctly.
If that doesn’t work it’s 3...pretty sure it’s 2.
The menu basically just changes the Byte.
From xA with x representing the bit, being:

0= halogen
1= xenon (car without camera used for lane assist)
2 = xenon w/high beam assist (car with camera)
3 = xenon w/dynamic light assist (special camera and headlights)

I also got the advanced high beam assist stuff to function which is cool.

hello revolver66.I have the same problem.I can not activate the light assist. I tried to apply the modifications of your coding on the module 09, but the bytes are not the same ones as on your photo. I send you a picture maybe you can help me. This is a golf tdi model 2016 usa version, manufactured in Mexico.
IMG_20191109_204853.jpg

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Which year do you have?

Sorry, I somehow missed your reply until today...

I have a 2013, however my camera is retrofitted and it's from the newer, facelift mk7.5.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
hello revolver66.I have the same problem.I can not activate the light assist. I tried to apply the modifications of your coding on the module 09, but the bytes are not the same ones as on your photo. I send you a picture maybe you can help me. This is a golf tdi model 2016 usa version, manufactured in Mexico.View attachment 159719
I’ll try to pull it up when I am near my PC.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Sorry, I somehow missed your reply until today...

I have a 2013, however my camera is retrofitted and it's from the newer, facelift mk7.5.
Interesting! That’s a first I have heard. Did you write a thread about this?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Weird. Didn’t work for me. Do you hold it forward from off (A showing) or forward from on (A not showing)?
Interested in this as well. First I’ve heard that there are multiple sensitivity settings from the factory.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Here's what worked for me. Note: I used the latest version of VCDS available today. Be careful, and I can't guarantee you won't F*** Up something. You need a working knowledge of how this stuff works, and I didn't include minor steps. Car is 2016 U.S.-market R with DAP and DSG. If you have manual I think it's the same.

To Activate High Beam Assist (Light Assist)
Open controller 09 - Central Electronics
Security Access 16 – enter 31347 and press Do It
Adaptation 10 – use channel drop down box, go to:
IDE08786-ENG116637-Assistance light functions-Menuesteuerung Fernlichtassistent
Change Stored value from Not Present to present. Press Do It.

Open Controller A5 – Frnt Assist / Driver Assist
Security Access, use code suggested by VCDS
Go to Coding
Open Long Coding Helper
Go to Byte 2
Use drop down box to change to Light Assist. Default is Inactive. Exit. Do It

Go back to the Central Electronics module, enter the security code
Go to Coding, Long Coding Helper
Go to Byte 2
Change from Bi-Xenon w/o Light Assist to Bi-Xenon with Light Assist, Exit, Do It

Open Infotainment menu by pressing Car, Setup, Lights. Light Assist should be there with the box already checked. Turn headlight switch to Auto, flick left stalk forward. You should see a headlight icon with an “A” in it in your MFD to the left of the trip odometer. When you get to about 35 MPH the high beam should engage unless there’s too much light around. When you drop to about 15 MPH or if there’s too much light around the headlights should dip. The MPH's are approximate. I'm going by dmc's instructions from VWVortex, and he's in Canada. If anyone wants to change the MPH to the exact speeds feel free to do so.

And again, many thanks to dmc on Vortex for figuring this out.
Is it normal to not have the A5 module? I have a 2019 SE with DCC and Front adaptive lights. I could not locate this A5 module. I was able to locate menuesteurerung Fernlichtassiestent under the central electronics module. Please advise.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Manually change Byte 2 from 1A to 2A.
2B would be a manual car if memory serves correctly.
If that doesn’t work it’s 3...pretty sure it’s 2.
The menu basically just changes the Byte.
From xA with x representing the bit, being:

0= halogen
1= xenon (car without camera used for lane assist)
2 = xenon w/high beam assist (car with camera)
3 = xenon w/dynamic light assist (special camera and headlights)

I also got the advanced high beam assist stuff to function which is cool.

After having my windshield replaced I’m getting an error.