GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally Got High Beam Assist (Light Assist) Working

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Here's what worked for me. Note: I used the latest version of VCDS available today. Be careful, and I can't guarantee you won't F*** Up something. You need a working knowledge of how this stuff works, and I didn't include minor steps. Car is 2016 U.S.-market R with DAP and DSG. If you have manual I think it's the same.

To Activate High Beam Assist (Light Assist)
Open controller 09 - Central Electronics
Security Access 16 – enter 31347 and press Do It
Adaptation 10 – use channel drop down box, go to:
IDE08786-ENG116637-Assistance light functions-Menuesteuerung Fernlichtassistent
Change Stored value from Not Present to present. Press Do It.

Open Controller A5 – Frnt Assist / Driver Assist
Security Access, use code suggested by VCDS
Go to Coding
Open Long Coding Helper
Go to Byte 2
Use drop down box to change to Light Assist. Default is Inactive. Exit. Do It

Go back to the Central Electronics module, enter the security code
Go to Coding, Long Coding Helper
Go to Byte 2
Change from Bi-Xenon w/o Light Assist to Bi-Xenon with Light Assist, Exit, Do It

Open Infotainment menu by pressing Car, Setup, Lights. Light Assist should be there with the box already checked. Turn headlight switch to Auto, flick left stalk forward. You should see a headlight icon with an “A” in it in your MFD to the left of the trip odometer. When you get to about 35 MPH the high beam should engage unless there’s too much light around. When you drop to about 15 MPH or if there’s too much light around the headlights should dip. The MPH's are approximate. I'm going by dmc's instructions from VWVortex, and he's in Canada. If anyone wants to change the MPH to the exact speeds feel free to do so.

And again, many thanks to dmc on Vortex for figuring this out.

dmc1

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad you got it working!

Note that the above procedure is only valid for MY2016 vehicles equipped with 5Q0-980-653-G at controller address A5.

I have successfully programmed this on a Canadian MY2017 7 R with 3Q0-980-654-G at address A5, substituting the Long Coding step as follows:

Open controller [A5-Frnt Assist/Driver Assist]
Open [Coding-07] and use the Long Coding Helper
For MY2016 equipped with 5Q0-980-653-G:
Set Byte 2 to 01 Light Assist AFS: High Beam Assist (HBA)
For MY2017 equipped with 3Q0-980-654-G:
Set Byte 21 to 20 Light Assist AFS: High Beam Assist (HBA)

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Glad you got it working!

Note that the above procedure is only valid for MY2016 vehicles equipped with 5Q0-980-653-G at controller address A5.

I have successfully programmed this on a Canadian MY2017 7 R with 3Q0-980-654-G at address A5, substituting the Long Coding step as follows:

Open controller [A5-Frnt Assist/Driver Assist]
Open [Coding-07] and use the Long Coding Helper
For MY2016 equipped with 5Q0-980-653-G:
Set Byte 2 to 01 Light Assist AFS: High Beam Assist (HBA)
For MY2017 equipped with 3Q0-980-654-G:
Set Byte 21 to 20 Light Assist AFS: High Beam Assist (HBA)
So my 2017 R will work if I follow this, then? No fault codes or anything?

dmc1

Passed Driver's Ed
So my 2017 R will work if I follow this, then? No fault codes or anything?

In Canada, some MY2017 cars supposedly will already have Light Assist. The one I worked on didn't, and this was the change I noted. Light Assist is working fine on that particular Canadian MY2017 vehicle.

If you have the same A5 controller with part number 3Q0-980-654-G, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
In Canada, some MY2017 cars supposedly will already have Light Assist. The one I worked on didn't, and this was the change I noted. Light Assist is working fine on that particular Canadian MY2017 vehicle.

If you have the same A5 controller with part number 3Q0-980-654-G, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Yeah, VCDS says that's my exact controller number. Enabled it. How do I know it works? I know on my previous 2015 Golf Highline, it had Light Assist from the factory and it would show a high beam icon in the MFI with an "A" in the middle of the high beam logo and the auto high beams would then work normally. Will this do the same thing?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yeah, VCDS says that's my exact controller number. Enabled it. How do I know it works? I know on my previous 2015 Golf Highline, it had Light Assist from the factory and it would show a high beam icon in the MFI with an "A" in the middle of the high beam logo and the auto high beams would then work normally. Will this do the same thing?

Yes.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Doesn't work. Double checked to see if it was enabled and it was. Did testing tonight and pissed of a ton of people driving in the oncoming lane. So no, 2017's are pretty tough on getting past VW's programming..

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Doesn't work. Double checked to see if it was enabled and it was. Did testing tonight and pissed of a ton of people driving in the oncoming lane. So no, 2017's are pretty tough on getting past VW's programming..

I didn't actually try it yet, but some have noted the "factory" settings for when it detects or doesn't detect light are not one size fits all, at least not for them. I believe there are many tweaks to adjust for the amount of light and the speeds it takes to turn them on or off. Seems you need to VCDS for all of them. Would have been nice if there was sensitivity and speed adjustments in the Infotainment, like you can do for Sound.

There's a setting for "urban" but I couldn't find the one where you can adjust for either lumens or lux. Try searching on Vortex. It's up there.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Yes, I made sure it was spotless. I kinda figured it wouldn't work. I just couldn't see it having the proper hardware without that camera behind the rear view mirror, which my 2015 Golf had. Oh well, switching high beams is of no big deal on your own.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Go back to the Central Electronics module, enter the security code
Go to Coding, Long Coding Helper
Go to Byte 2
Change from Bi-Xenon w/o Light Assist to Bi-Xenon with Light Assist, Exit, Do It

When I get to this portion of the coding, I only have "Halogen w/o Light Assist" for an option, no Bi-Xenon options at all. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Thanks

Golf R1

Ready to race!
I didn't actually try it yet, but some have noted the "factory" settings for when it detects or doesn't detect light are not one size fits all, at least not for them. I believe there are many tweaks to adjust for the amount of light and the speeds it takes to turn them on or off. Seems you need to VCDS for all of them. Would have been nice if there was sensitivity and speed adjustments in the Infotainment, like you can do for Sound.

There's a setting for "urban" but I couldn't find the one where you can adjust for either lumens or lux. Try searching on Vortex. It's up there.
Finally got around to this last weekend. Coding instructions were perfect, thanks. Worked on my 2016 DAP. Have only tested it a few times, but having a hard time getting it to work. Thinking I live near too much light. Need to find a dark road away from street lights to further test. Would be nice to tweak the sensitivity as you've suggested. Did you find a way to code it?

rsw81

Stupid question (potentially), but does high beam assist work on non-DAP cars or was this part of the DAP package?