GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally drove one

1SLOW2.01

Ready to race!
So I ordered my car in March without ever seeing a MK7 in person and finally got to drive the one today. I was worried it would be a little too sedated and refined for my taste and be a little boring. Holy shit was I wrong. I put the car in sport mode and had an absolute blast. All I ask is for my car to put a smile on my face and I had a shit eating grin the entire time. Now I can't wait to get my car next month and hit the autobahn. If you are on the fence and just browsing the forum, you have to go drive the car.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Yep. Sport mode really makes this car come alive. I have it in that mode often, and I drive a ton daily. Just depends what you're looking for. Refined, fun, either way, the ultimate hot hatch if you ask me.

mkygod

Ready to race!
Yep, regular mode feels so sedated by comparison. I call it Nanny mode.

I just wish there was a mode in between regular mode and sport mode. Something that has the throttle response of sport mode, but shifts early like regular mode for fuel economy.

sublime1996525

Yep, regular mode feels so sedated by comparison. I call it Nanny mode.

I just wish there was a mode in between regular mode and sport mode. Something that has the throttle response of sport mode, but shifts early like regular mode for fuel economy.

Umm isn't that why there is the customizable mode?

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Umm isn't that why there is the customizable mode?

yeah use individual mode. You can make some aspects sport, like engine sound, while keeping steering regular, say.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
yeah use individual mode. You can make some aspects sport, like engine sound, while keeping steering regular, say.

You mean there are still owners who didn't disable the vibrating disk on the firewall that has nothing to do with the engine?

mkygod

Ready to race!

Yes, I do use individual mode all the time. However it seems that the "Engine" setting affects both throttle response and gear changes for DSG GTI's.

Normal: slow throttle response + auto gear changes at low RPMs
Sport: fast throttle response + auto gear changes at high RPMs

What I want: fast throttle response + auto gear changes at low RPMs

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You mean there are still owners who didn't disable the vibrating disk on the firewall that has nothing to do with the engine?

Yeah, me.
It IS your engines sound played back to you.
It's not a vibrating disk.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, I do use individual mode all the time. However it seems that the "Engine" setting affects both throttle response and gear changes for DSG GTI's.

Normal: slow throttle response + auto gear changes at low RPMs
Sport: fast throttle response + auto gear changes at high RPMs

What I want: fast throttle response + auto gear changes at low RPMs

how about engine setting in SPORT in regular D (not S)? when in auto D will shift early to optimize fuel economy regardless of engine setting, although i guess that kinda defeats the purpose of having the engine setting in SPORT...

then again the only time i use auto is when i WANT better mpg, so i can count on one hand the number of times i've used S in auto in the year+ i've owned my car. any spirited driving is done manually. the beauty of the DSG!

personally, for me the SPORT engine setting is a little too touchy or on/off feeling, like you are getting 50% throttle from 25% pedal movement. i prefer the more linear feel of the throttle response in normal. you have to put the pedal down a little more to get the same oomph, but i feel like it's closer to a 1:1 ratio, as in you get out what you put down if that makes any sense...

Boogy's GTI

Ready to race!

mkygod

Ready to race!
how about engine setting in SPORT in regular D (not S)? when in auto D will shift early to optimize fuel economy regardless of engine setting, although i guess that kinda defeats the purpose of having the engine setting in SPORT...

then again the only time i use auto is when i WANT better mpg, so i can count on one hand the number of times i've used S in auto in the year+ i've owned my car. any spirited driving is done manually. the beauty of the DSG!

personally, for me the SPORT engine setting is a little too touchy or on/off feeling, like you are getting 50% throttle from 25% pedal movement. i prefer the more linear feel of the throttle response in normal. you have to put the pedal down a little more to get the same oomph, but i feel like it's closer to a 1:1 ratio, as in you get out what you put down if that makes any sense...

Hmm, ill try that.

In terms of throttle response, i do feel that Sport is quicker responding (aka less lag) and not just map trick that gives you 50% from 25% pedal movement which is what a Pedalbox/Remus Responder device does.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie