GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally drove one

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I so wish that were true.

It is true.

It's not any stupider than ripping out a perfectly good exhaust on a brand new car, then spending hundreds of dollars on a new one that's louder but offers no performance gain.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
It is true.

It's not any stupider than ripping out a perfectly good exhaust on a brand new car, then spending hundreds of dollars on a new one that's louder but offers no performance gain.

Haha good point

And it is the engine sound, as you say, it's just played through louder because cars today are so well insulated.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, me.
It IS your engines sound played back to you.
It's not a vibrating disk.

It's playing YOUR engine.

It is a sound file playing, not YOUR engine.

It IS a vibrating disk. There is a spinning weight that vibrates the soundaktor to a certain frequency. That's how speakers create sound after all, they vibrate. :rolleyes:

Edit: Apparently not a spinning weight as I've seen reported before, but actually a driver. Never the less, it vibrates.

Last edited:

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
It is a sound file playing, not YOUR engine.

It IS a vibrating disk. There is a spinning weight that vibrates the soundaktor to a certain frequency. That's how speakers create sound after all, they vibrate. :rolleyes:

Yeah and the sound it's playing is your engine. Just like when my speakers are spitting out Give It Up, that's KC and the Sunshine Band ya dig

:cool:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yeah and the sound it's playing is your engine. Just like when my speakers are spitting out Give It Up, that's KC and the Sunshine Band ya dig

:cool:

You can make it play whatever sound you want it to play. In our case, it's a sound file that plays the sound of an engine! (Not really YOUR engine, ya dig?) :eek:

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
You can make it play whatever sound you want it to play. In our case, it's a sound file that plays the sound of an engine! (Not really YOUR engine) :eek:

Hm well whatever engine it is, sounds great. Not like anyone knows the difference. Every car company does this now anyway.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Daryll Harrison, Volkswagen Brand Public Relations Manager, says these claims about the Soundaktor are false. “The Soundaktor amplifies actual engine sound in the cabin of the car. It does not re-create nor utilize pre-recorded sound."

Could be lying I suppose. More indicative of how far engines have come that they actually need to find ways to build in sound because they're so efficient.

Haven't seen anyone disprove his claim either so unless anyone can show me that, sit down lol.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Daryll Harrison, Volkswagen Brand Public Relations Manager, says these claims about the Soundaktor are false. “The Soundaktor amplifies actual engine sound in the cabin of the car. It does not re-create nor utilize pre-recorded sound."

Could be lying I suppose. More indicative of how far engines have come that they actually need to find ways to build in sound because they're so efficient.

Haven't seen anyone disprove his claim either so unless anyone can show me that, sit down lol.

If it's not an audio file, then I stand corrected. I made that conclusion based on Car and Driver and the fact that in VCDS you can do an output test to test the range of the Soundaktor. VCDS only allows for that test and volume adjustment, there isn't any long coding either.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

Whatever the sound is, it sounds manipulated somehow. I'd guess there is a certain frequency it is calibrated to. The Soundaktor makes my engine sound have a deeper tone. Also, the R has a different tone than GTI with Soundaktor on. I haven't heard a R with Soundaktor turned off, but I'm not convinced that two same EA888 2L engines can sound much different. I'd be curious to install a Soundaktor from a R into my GTI and see if that changes the tone.

Whatever the case, if you enjoy it and like fake engine noises, good. I feel that it adds drone, especially on the highway since I like to keep my car in sport mode. Since I have a 2015, I can't turn it down individually through the cars menu.

Streetfighter1

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not getting this whole sound file thing. Why wouldn't the car's engine make noise? If you push it into sport mode. Doesn't make sense to me?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I set it in sport mode and forget it. Since I VCDS'd the soundaktor off, the only things sport does for me are tighten the steering wheel (still wish it was tighter) and make the throttle response closer to what it should be (still wish it was quicker)

Boogy's GTI

Ready to race!
"I feel that it adds drone, especially on the highway" .

This is the main reason I disabled it. Down low it sounds pretty good but once your on the highway it add's an awful drone when combined with my AWE Exhaust.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Whatever the case, if you enjoy it and like fake engine noises, good. I feel that it adds drone, especially on the highway since I like to keep my car in sport mode. Since I have a 2015, I can't turn it down individually through the cars menu.

It doesnt add drone. It only make sound when you're past like 25% throttle

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
It doesnt add drone. It only make sound when you're past like 25% throttle

OK kid whatever you say.... obviously you've been on a road trip with me before and heard that what I heard is not true.

IowaGTI

Ready to race!
If that is real engine noise I wonder how they pick it up? It's obviously filtered, I wish it really sounded that meaty, on the outside.