GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally don't have to worry about where I park now!

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Wasn’t trying to attack you at all, sorry if I spun it that way. I was not on the scene so, who knows, maybe I would have handled in the same way. 🤷‍♂️
No no, it wasn't you, it was krvnked who made the comment I was referring to. My reply to you was below that one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
I was dumbfounded by this. So I’m required to have it, I just get screwed for using it. Got it.
Yeah, I realize this is a possibility but I do have auto, home, flood, and umbrella policies with the same company so if they bend me over I'll take my $7k/year elsewhere. In this case, California is not technically a no-fault state so the other driver's insurance is *supposed* to pay and my company is merely the broker for that; should be no money out of my or my insurance company's pockets. I do have "uninsured motorist" coverage which is of course paid by my insurance company if necessary so I suppose they could use that against me but, in this case, the rental car was covered by their policy and should be paying. It's been weeks and my agent has not given me any cause for concern..... Yet.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
No no, it wasn't you, it was krvnked who made the comment I was referring to. My reply to you was below that one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Yeah, I realize this is a possibility but I do have auto, home, flood, and umbrella policies with the same company so if they bend me over I'll take my $7k/year elsewhere. In this case, California is not technically a no-fault state so the other driver's insurance is *supposed* to pay and my company is merely the broker for that; should be no money out of my or my insurance company's pockets. I do have "uninsured motorist" coverage which is of course paid by my insurance company if necessary so I suppose they could use that against me but, in this case, the rental car was covered by their policy and should be paying. It's been weeks and my agent has not given me any cause for concern..... Yet.

That’s what I did. I left to another company, a National one at that. Saved $1k/year and have a ton more benefits with it. Win/win. I hope it all works out in the end for you.

Madrv1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Had a lady tell me she was going to the house to get her license and insurance. I called the cops and turns out she didn't have either. Felt bad for her but I didn't want to get caught with the bill.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Well, in the interest of "closure", I got my car back and it's fine. Shop did a good job. Paint is fine, gaps are fine, no leaks, everything works as it should, no rattles, etc.

The final tally is as follows:
  • Repair and repaint the hatch (includes removing and reinstalling any necessary parts)
  • Replace diverter
  • Replace bumper/cover including painting with all appropriate flex additives, etc.
  • Replace rear impact bar
  • Replace right hand guide bracket (not sure which item this is but it was apparently bent)
  • Replace R logo (not sure why they couldn't reuse the old one)
  • Any other remove/replace items such as parking sensors which did not need to be replaced
Total was 29.8 hours at $2567, all paid for by the other insurance company. All parts replaced were OEM VW parts. Paint used was OEM Lapiz Blue. So I'm satisfied with the repairs which, considering how hard the impact felt, were not as bad as I thought.

Diminished value? Sure but I don't really care. This is my daily driver and I don't treat it as a collector car. Unless I absolutely have to have something else for some reason, I intend to keep it a while at which point the diminished value is less applicable. Very low miles, regular maintenance and a regularly cleaned and waxed (ceramic coated) car will tend to make up for that in my opinion.

Accident on Carfax? Yeah. Again, not that big a deal if I keep the car a long time. I have pictures and any reasonable person can see the car was not significantly damaged so if they just have to have a couple grand taken off the price, so be it. Again, I did not buy it for an investment so I can easily make that money back by eating generic Pop-Tarts for a while.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Well, in the interest of "closure", I got my car back and it's fine. Shop did a good job. Paint is fine, gaps are fine, no leaks, everything works as it should, no rattles, etc.

The final tally is as follows:
  • Repair and repaint the hatch (includes removing and reinstalling any necessary parts)
  • Replace diverter
  • Replace bumper/cover including painting with all appropriate flex additives, etc.
  • Replace rear impact bar
  • Replace right hand guide bracket (not sure which item this is but it was apparently bent)
  • Replace R logo (not sure why they couldn't reuse the old one)
  • Any other remove/replace items such as parking sensors which did not need to be replaced
Total was 29.8 hours at $2567, all paid for by the other insurance company. All parts replaced were OEM VW parts. Paint used was OEM Lapiz Blue. So I'm satisfied with the repairs which, considering how hard the impact felt, were not as bad as I thought.

Diminished value? Sure but I don't really care. This is my daily driver and I don't treat it as a collector car. Unless I absolutely have to have something else for some reason, I intend to keep it a while at which point the diminished value is less applicable. Very low miles, regular maintenance and a regularly cleaned and waxed (ceramic coated) car will tend to make up for that in my opinion.

Accident on Carfax? Yeah. Again, not that big a deal if I keep the car a long time. I have pictures and any reasonable person can see the car was not significantly damaged so if they just have to have a couple grand taken off the price, so be it. Again, I did not buy it for an investment so I can easily make that money back by eating generic Pop-Tarts for a while.
That’s actually very reasonable considering the work and parts replaced.

As for the R logo, it is more work to clean the emblem and add new tape Than it is to get a new one. So the price of labor is likely more than the emblem. any time I have seen a body shop reuse and emblem, it falls off.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
That’s actually very reasonable considering the work and parts replaced.

As for the R logo, it is more work to clean the emblem and add new tape Than it is to get a new one. So the price of labor is likely more than the emblem. any time I have seen a body shop reuse and emblem, it falls off.
Yeah, that's probably right. I know when I got the PPF installed the guy said it was way easier for him to remove and reinstall the side logos than cut the PPF to fit around them and the 3M tape he used was as good or better than the OEM so that's what he did. But I can see an extra few tenths of an hour being added to the bill if they did this so you're on the money no doubt.