GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally don't have to worry about where I park now!

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
So I had to take an emergency trip up to the SF Bay Area (sudden death in the family) and, while I was up there on the 101 north of the Golden Gate Bridge, one exit away from the one I was going to take, I got rear-ended by a driver who said she was "spaced out due to the traffic" which was odd since it was STOP-AND-GO!!! You kinda have to be paying attention so you can go and stop and go and stop... Ugh. My guess is that, since we were just at an exit and the right hand lane had emptied a bit, she must have thought it opened up and sped up only to find my car stopped in front of her. Wham!

It felt like she really rammed into me and I expected to see the whole back end smashed in but when I got out, it looked like this:

1623891873731.png

I was stunned that it didn't look damaged. Upon closer inspection, the left side of the bumper cover is popped out, there's a crease in it on the sill just to the right of center, there are marks where her grill impacted the bumper, the license plate lights are broken (still functional) and that's about it.

1623891980359.png

1623892048726.png

No telling yet how it looks BEHIND the bumper cover but I'm sure it's crushed though the outside seems to be dimensionally correct. Either she really didn't hit me that hard or the car is more resilient than I expected.

This is the front of her car (a rental Hyundai Kona):

1623892299473.png
The honeycomb pattern is what's showing on my bumper. Her license plate hit mine I guess but what's interesting is how her lower grill is way more damaged than my diverter. I don't know how that happened as mine appears untouched. I guess the Golf bumper crushed and rolled under and popped right back up. I guess she did not hit me as hard as it felt. I'm sure there's more damage you can't see.

Anyway, she did not have a California driver's license, only an ID card, she could not find her insurance and the car is a rental. As well as being kind of out of it. Not sure how you can rent a car without a valid driver's license but I guess that's a thing. She probably shouldn't have been on the road. Regardless, my insurance company, the ever-more-expensive-than-I'd-like AAA is handling it all so I'm OK there. AAA does not attempt to get diminished value from the other party so I have to do that myself by contacting them and that will be fun. My car only has 12,000 miles on it after 3 years, 3 months so it's fairly low in my opinion and has clearly lost value. If I keep it a long time, that's probably not really an issue but if I wanted to sell it in the near future, this won't help.

Oh, and instead of driving 72-75MPH the whole way up and back I set cruise at 70 and I got better mileage than usual, 32 instead of 28 with one stretch calculating out to 37 (a short stretch of 230 miles that only took 6 gallons. Also, these 19" wheels SUUUUUUUCK. I hit four, count 'em, FOUR potholes on the freeway and I expected to find at least 2 dented wheels but they miraculously stayed round. I've decided to drop down to 18's at the earliest opportunity.

So, that was last week for me. Good times.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
She was probably texting or something on her phone. I don't think the damage is anywhere near enough to get diminished value. And you do have to have a driver's license and proof of insurance to rent a car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don’t like how u handled yourself. That lady gave u enough reason to be a tiny bit more irrational.
That's putting it mildly. No police report. I'll be surprised if his insurance company gets a single penny from her.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That's putting it mildly. No police report. I'll be surprised if his insurance company gets a single penny from her.
Dunno about that tbh. Considering how cheap that repair would be. Lady had no license in a rental and no proof of any damn thing. And in bumper to bumper traffic just eating shit. That’s wild

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
That’s a call to cops and an ambulance ride. I learned long ago to stop messing around in these situations. Insurance companies will rake you over the coals first chance they get, so yeah, I’m done being nice for others negligence.
Exactly... My lesson on insurance is that if it can ever be traced back to you via the dmv, just don't claim a thing and if it's someone's else's fault (and you're NOT in an idiotic no-fault state) call the cops immediately.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I don’t like how u handled yourself. That lady gave u enough reason to be a tiny bit more irrational.
I think I've seen too many "Karen videos" by now to know you should never fly off the handle if you can help it. Just calmly take pictures, get their info, see if any witnesses will come forward and, if necessary, call the cops. In this case, no one was hurt (the seats in the R really did their job) and I did not want to wait there for a half hour for the CHP to arrive so I got all the info she had (she really was a bit out of it and was looking on her phone for her insurance info for 10 minutes and I did not want to badger her so I got what I could including her ID card, her AAA membership card, the registration of the rental car and the rental car company's insurance card that was in the car.) The guy at AAA said I got enough for them to make a solid claim against the rental car company's insurance if the driver had none.

I did ask several times "You don't have a wallet with a license or insurance info in it????" etc. She kept saying "I DO!" but never produced any of it.
Even though SoCal AAA is different from NorCal AAA, the claims adjuster said he'd have no problem talking to the rental car company/insurance as they do that all the time so there should be no worry. Plus I have uninsured motorist coverage on my policy and I'm covered no matter what. AAA has always been good in the past when I've gotten hit before. No reason to believe they'll fail to get paid off for my repairs.
That’s a call to cops and an ambulance ride. I learned long ago to stop messing around in these situations. Insurance companies will rake you over the coals first chance they get, so yeah, I’m done being nice for others negligence.
The impact really felt harder than it must have been so it was likely more of a shock than anything. Neither me nor my nephew have felt any pain at all so no need to go to the hospital. That being said, we do have some time to see how it goes and get back to AAA for medical coverage if necessary. I wanted to call the CHP to see if they could cite her for not having a license or insurance on her but, as noted above, I did not want to wait and it really wouldn't have done me any good other than to feel some satisfaction at her misfortune. I was up there for my brother-in-law who passed away a couple hours before and I was driving my nephew home so neither of us were in the mood to be sitting there any longer than we had to.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I think I've seen too many "Karen videos" by now to know you should never fly off the handle if you can help it. Just calmly take pictures, get their info, see if any witnesses will come forward and, if necessary, call the cops. In this case, no one was hurt (the seats in the R really did their job) and I did not want to wait there for a half hour for the CHP to arrive so I got all the info she had (she really was a bit out of it and was looking on her phone for her insurance info for 10 minutes and I did not want to badger her so I got what I could including her ID card, her AAA membership card, the registration of the rental car and the rental car company's insurance card that was in the car.) The guy at AAA said I got enough for them to make a solid claim against the rental car company's insurance if the driver had none.

I did ask several times "You don't have a wallet with a license or insurance info in it????" etc. She kept saying "I DO!" but never produced any of it.

Even though SoCal AAA is different from NorCal AAA, the claims adjuster said he'd have no problem talking to the rental car company/insurance as they do that all the time so there should be no worry. Plus I have uninsured motorist coverage on my policy and I'm covered no matter what. AAA has always been good in the past when I've gotten hit before. No reason to believe they'll fail to get paid off for my repairs.

The impact really felt harder than it must have been so it was likely more of a shock than anything. Neither me nor my nephew have felt any pain at all so no need to go to the hospital. That being said, we do have some time to see how it goes and get back to AAA for medical coverage if necessary. I wanted to call the CHP to see if they could cite her for not having a license or insurance on her but, as noted above, I did not want to wait and it really wouldn't have done me any good other than to feel some satisfaction at her misfortune. I was up there for my brother-in-law who passed away a couple hours before and I was driving my nephew home so neither of us were in the mood to be sitting there any longer than we had to.
Nope. No ones asking u to be nosey for no damn reason. Nope.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I don't think she hit you very hard judging by how in tact the front end of that Hyundai is. The front end of modern cars crumple if you look at them wrong so the fact that that one is basically ok means you probably weren't hit super hard.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Luckily it was all contained in the bumper area. No damage to the hatch. Then you'd be looking at all kinds of issues.
I'm sure the actual bumper underneath is bent a little at least.
No way to rent a car anywhere without a license, so not sure about that. Surprised your Insurance will pay with no police report.
Good luck with repairs.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Insurance pays for hit and run right? My policy covers uninsured motorists. I would defiantly be nervous to file a claim saying someone hit me but I did not get any info from them though.

I had an “individual” almost rear ended me yesterday while they were on their phone. In those cases I like to stick my phone out the window and violently shake it. I guess that gets the point across because they slowed down and switched lanes.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
It’s _____ist/phobic in CA to require a license for anything.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Luckily it was all contained in the bumper area. No damage to the hatch. Then you'd be looking at all kinds of issues.
Actually, I spoke too soon. I did not inspect it close enough before and now see the hatch does have a crease in it so that will have to be repaired. It opens and closes fine and the gaps around it seem unaffected so it's likely not too damaged but you never know. We'll see what the estimates say need to be done. My honest opinion is they'll try to tap it out but will fail or maybe they'll try to sand it, bondo it and paint it before they replace the entire hatch. I'll have to have a good talk with them when they take a look.

It can be seen here in this area under the reverse camera a bit left of center:

1623979274680.png

I didn't really scrutinize it when I got home figuring it would all be taken care of anyway but I'll have to give it a through inspection, take pictures and decide what I'm going to point out to the shop.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I had a similar encounter. Replaced hatch, bumper cover, and all elements relating to rear bumper assembly. Still ended up costing a few thousand if I remember correctly.
But this was about 6 years ago now. I had only had the car for a few months when it happened.

1624019371022.png

One random thing I remember is that after I got the car back from the shop. I had this weird rattling that had never been there before. Turns out, my exhaust had popped out of one of the hangers towards the front.
It was a pretty mild impact, but still enough to knock it loose. I think I hvae seen at least one other person mention that, so something to remember....