GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally decided on where to mount my bass control knob.

BearInTheCorner

AudioControl ARC1 knob fits perfectly in this spot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_185101.jpg
    IMG_20200206_185101.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20200206_185042.jpg
    IMG_20200206_185042.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 355

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Both these spots are better than mine, in the little cubby below the HVAC controls. My knob is on a little unit that also includes the LED for power and a clipping indicator for my amp. Initially I wanted to be able to see that clipping indicator while I got used to the sound of my new sub, a shallow mount, Stereo Integrity BM MkV. The sound it makes when clipping is very subtle compared to all the other subs I've owned and I didn't want to damage it. Now I can hear it though, and reaching in there to adjust the bass level is kind of a drag.

StealthGTI... Did you disassemble your remote knob and extend the wires for the pot or is there space under that little closeout?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Sort of...

StealthGTI... Did you disassemble your remote knob and extend the wires for the pot or is there space under that little closeout?

"Disassemble" is a strong word. ;-) I opened the case that it was in and fastened the knob and circuit board behind the panel, like this:

I had to scrape some material from behind the trim piece to make it thinner. Otherwise, it fits fine. The "wiring" is super-easy, just a modular cable that came with the knob. Also, I replaced the original knob with a smaller one: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-blue-insert-control-knob?variant=20332152773. I painted the end of it black.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sort of... "Disassemble" is a strong word. ;-) I opened the case that it was in and fastened the knob and circuit board behind the panel, like this...
Gotcha, unfortunately my remote amp control is at least twice that size. I doubt it will fit as cleanly as yours did in that spot, plus I need to do something with the LEDs. The company that makes my amp sells the remote units separately for pretty cheap though. I may order one and pull it apart to see what I can do.

Clean installs though... yours and the OP.

BearInTheCorner

I have seen a few around with the dimmer switch in this location, my interior lights are controlled via the infotainment system.

It's quite possible that I had seen a post you made Cuzoe, it was a location I had considered. I set my amp up with an oscilloscope to ensure no clipping, I just wanted the bass knob for days when I don't want as much boom (I only have a single 8" so it's not that loud to begin with).
Same for your post StealthGTI, I had definitely seen yours, although I have the electric handbrake so no such location available for me. I purchased a spare trim piece to drill a hole in so if I ever want to go back to stock I can. From memory StealthGTI you had a pretty substantial audio setup in your trunk?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just a little...

From memory StealthGTI you had a pretty substantial audio setup in your trunk?

Voltage distribution upper left, ham radio lower left, subwoofer in the middle, sound equipment upper right, and lockbox lower right...

I still have a spare tire...

I guess this is my "bass port." HAHA!