GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Filler Foam for Dents

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have a dent in the passenger side rocker panel. Instead of getting Oettinger style sideskirts to cover it, I want to explore the option of using a foam that I can fill the dent with. Has anyone ever used this approach? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You need filler not foam to fill a dent and depending on the size of the dent depends how good it will look. After filling it will need to be primed, painted, blended and then top coated to protect it.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
If your rocker is dented where most of the gtis get rocker dents, it's a real pain in the ass to have the dent pulled. Most shops recommend weld a tab and pull it out since it's thick steel there.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You mean fill the inside to pop it out?

No, just fill in the space created by the dent.

If your rocker is dented where most of the gtis get rocker dents, it's a real pain in the ass to have the dent pulled. Most shops recommend weld a tab and pull it out since it's thick steel there.

I figured doing it the proper way is a huge pain. Did you ever go through with the procedure?

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Better off taking it to a body shop and having it dent pulled with a stud welder and have it repainted. What you are thinking about doing will look like hot garbage. Foam is only good for cars where doing the repair correctly isn't worth it, and even then it's bad.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I hear ya. I was so pissed when i first found it. Worse still was not knowing which shop did it, as it seemingly showed up after being at two shops within a month of one another.
Same here. The big one I got I know for sure was not my fault, and damn it's ugly. I'll go buy one of your glasses to drown the pain.