GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender subwoofer mods

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you are going to add a sub not sure why you'd add the Fender sub. Add a real sub.

I was originally thinking about the fender, which is why I followed the thread. In the meantime I upgraded the fractory speakers and they sounded so good, I'm not sure I want to do the fender. I'm looking at one of the other spare tire subs, because I needed to be able to remove it easily.

I'm wondering now if the OBD11 tweaks could help fine tune things.

On a side note, I've been trying to find a wrecked GTI to get the Helix amp out of it.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Ok this isf weird.

Somehow I missed that first post last year. I eagerly set out to make the change via OBDeleven (the 2nd gen dongle and iOS). But no "47 - Sound System" listed, only the 5F module and another one simply called "Radio". Neither had the low frequency setting. So while I was in there, I made a few changes via 1-touch apps (yeah, I know) - seat belt warning, and something else seemingly innocuous that I don't recall). I go to start the car afterwards, and it doesn't completely turn over. Wut? Whatever I did somehow changed the behavior of the start button - now instead of working as it always did, where one brief press started the motor, now I have to hold it down to get the engine to crank. I guess all those warnings about avoiding using the 1-touch apps were good advice. Hopefully nothing else was monkeyed with that shouldn't have been. Now I have to try to figure out how to change it back.

Has anyone made this low frequency change on a '19 R via OBDeleven? I still have an original Android-only dongle and a tablet that I can try that one with, though I suspect it's the newness of the car and not an app or OBDeleven issue that's not giving me the necessary option.. ?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Can't help with the start button but I stopped using OBDeleven after I somehow ended up with a "Radio" module. I never used the 1-touch apps because I had read their changes didn't get recorded in the history. I only used it to clear faults and to manually change coding on my AID and MIB after I added the MOST line. No amount of de/re-registering modules in the gateway (or anything else I felt comfortable doing) got rid of the "Radio" module. It wasn't gone until I replaced my gateway (for something unrelated) and I haven't plugged in the OBDeleven since.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have the mystery "radio" module too. Obviously a new module didn't magically get added to the car, so it's some sort of OBDeleven quirk, so I'm not going to worry too much about that. But I would like to make the low freq mod and get my start button back to original operation. Gotta do some digging and figure this out.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Ok this isf weird.

Somehow I missed that first post last year. I eagerly set out to make the change via OBDeleven (the 2nd gen dongle and iOS). But no "47 - Sound System" listed, only the 5F module and another one simply called "Radio". Neither had the low frequency setting. So while I was in there, I made a few changes via 1-touch apps (yeah, I know) - seat belt warning, and something else seemingly innocuous that I don't recall). I go to start the car afterwards, and it doesn't completely turn over. Wut? Whatever I did somehow changed the behavior of the start button - now instead of working as it always did, where one brief press started the motor, now I have to hold it down to get the engine to crank. I guess all those warnings about avoiding using the 1-touch apps were good advice. Hopefully nothing else was monkeyed with that shouldn't have been. Now I have to try to figure out how to change it back.

Has anyone made this low frequency change on a '19 R via OBDeleven? I still have an original Android-only dongle and a tablet that I can try that one with, though I suspect it's the newness of the car and not an app or OBDeleven issue that's not giving me the necessary option.. ?

for the 47 - sound system, you have enable it for coding under gateway list coding. When you’re in the module screen, there’s an edit button at the top right. From there you can enable it. Just make sure to untick it after coding.

For your start button issue, are you sure you might not have just drained your battery down a little too much?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
for the 47 - sound system, you have enable it for coding under gateway list coding. When you’re in the module screen, there’s an edit button at the top right. From there you can enable it. Just make sure to untick it after coding.

Ah, thanks, I'll give it a go in the morning

For your start button issue, are you sure you might not have just drained your battery down a little too much?

Nah battery is fine. Behaved the same strange way after a long drive too. Something definitely changed. I've heard of other saying their start button functioned that way (having to hold it while engine cranks) but neither this car nor my previous ('16) R were that way from the factory - just one short press did the job.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ah, thanks, I'll give it a go in the morning

Nah battery is fine. Behaved the same strange way after a long drive too. Something definitely changed. I've heard of other saying their start button functioned that way (having to hold it while engine cranks) but neither this car nor my previous ('16) R were that way from the factory - just one short press did the job.

I had a VR6 Corrado that had the same issue, dealer kept telling me it was normal. It wasn't . Even showed them other GTI's and Corrados on the lot didn't do it. Bought the Bentley manual and started digging. It turned out to be the fuel pump not holding residual pressure.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Well.. tried old dongle with Android, new with iOS & Android, and I can't get at module 47.. just not there and can't edit to add it. Frustrating! When I try to edit to add it, this is all I get. Same list of modules with the old dongle under Android.

IMG_0081.PNG

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Well.. tried old dongle with Android, new with iOS & Android, and I can't get at module 47.. just not there and can't edit to add it. Frustrating! When I try to edit to add it, this is all I get. Same list of modules with the old dongle under Android.

View attachment 195696
Select (19) gateway.... it’ll populate with a large number of possible modules and you should be able to select (47) sound system in there

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
So I found out what the VCDS/OBD11 mod does. It moves the points on the EQ (Treble-Mid-Bass) around so you can adjust them differently on MIB. By changing it from 100-50hz, you are basically moving the bass EQ adjustment and the subwoofer volume in the MIB menu to a lower frequency. Moving it to 50 made the Fender system much less muddy and sounds beautiful. I actually might move it back up a little to around 60hz.
Did you ever try changing it to 60Hz? I just came across this thread and I was wondering how to improve the stock Fender system without having to do any hardware mods. While the Fender sounds decent, I want something better and more accurate.

NasssTNate

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE 2017
Just bought a GTI but previous owner took the sub speaker out of the spare tire enclosure. Anyone in the Denver area have the OEM fender sub they dont want anymore? Before I upgrade I just want to try the stock sub, mostly for convenience right now.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
I got the stock fender sub sitting on the shelf upgraded to a Memphis Audio sub in stock box if you interested in stock sub send me an offer