GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

feeling guilty...forgot about oil change

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I only hit 5K miles since my last oil change but I just realized it has been 14 months. For most of the pandemic I was stuck in town and only have a few mile drive to work. Typically I am one of those people who does routine maintenance early. Most people seem to recommend doing oil changes more frequently the less you drive (in mileage). Think any harm was done? The oil level is fine and it doesn't appear more dirty than I'd expect before an oil change. This upcoming year I will definitely be driving more but probably not over 10K. Should I be on a 6-month schedule regardless of mileage? I am a bit confused as to why more frequent changes are recommended the less miles you drive (with synthetic).

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I’m gonna be honest I don’t pay attention to the “expiration” dates of oil, I just go by mileage on the engine. I mean if you left your Golf sit for 5 years then yeah, I might change the oil when I started it up again. But 2 months over the 1 year mark? Absolutely not, lol. I would not worry. In my opinion it’s just a marketing tactic to get people to buy more oil. Shameful really because it’s no good for the environment.

My opinion is, I think you should change your oil because it has 5000 miles on it, but not because it’s been in the engine for 14 months.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
If you’re checking the oil level, and you’re not driving short trips every time you take it out (less than 20 mins or so), it should be just fine. I think the main concern is moisture building up in the oil that does not get burned off when the car is sitting and is only driven short distances. Oxidation can also occur, as well as fuel dilution (typically is worse in engines of vehicles that are only taken on short trips). But these shouldn’t be too bad I would say with a quality oil.

I’m sure others will chime in, but I’d say it’s fine as long as oil levels are good, and you’re taking the car on trips that get everything up to proper temp.

Change it once a year if it makes you feel good, other than that just use a quality oil and change it based upon mileage.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
If you’re checking the oil level, and you’re not driving short trips every time you take it out (less than 20 mins or so), it should be just fine. I think the main concern is moisture building up in the oil that does not get burned off when the car is sitting and is only driven short distances. Oxidation can also occur, as well as fuel dilution (typically is worse in engines of vehicles that are only taken on short trips). But these shouldn’t be too bad I would say with a quality oil.

After learning about the short trip/moisture build up issue a couple years ago at least 2-3 times a week I basically go on a joy ride hoping it will burn it off. It is hard for me without going out of my way because I live so close to everywhere I need to go.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Modern synthetic oils are all fine for extended use, especially lack of during COVID. I've gone 3,000, 5,000, 10,000 and in one case 15,000 miles between oil changes and not one car's engine in 40 years has ever failed. As long as you have oil IN the car, you should be fine. It still works. Maybe not as good as brand new oil but 5,000 miles and 14 months is not going to kill your car unless you really drive it hard and that's not the case here.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
You're fine. Change it as soon as you can, but going 2 months over isn't going to hurt anything. Going a year or two over, or especially thousands of miles over... That will cause problems.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have the stuff for an oil change on an auto delivery every 6 months from Amazon. So it just shows up on my door and I get it done. Usually works out to be around 5k - 6k miles in-between.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
As long as you got the oil up to 219 degrees when you did drive, it'll be ok. Even if not, 2 months isn't going to hurt anything.

Moisture in the oil gets burned off at about 219 degrees and it's impurities and condensation in the oil sitting over long periods that would damage the internals.