GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FEELER: fair price for 2021 GTI Autobahn DSG with mods

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
I'm thinking about selling my deep black pearl '21 GTI Autobahn with 13,493 miles, DSG, 18" forged Belvedere wheels, homelink mirror, and monster mats

GMP Performance in Charlotte professionally installed the following modifications:

APR Stage 1 ECU ... APR Stage 1 TCU
APR CatBack ....... APR Carbon Fiber Intake (closed)
APR Intercooler ... APR Wheel Spacers (12mm front and 17mm rear)

Online Prices seem to be $36,000 - 38,000 on Autotrader, but that does not account for mods . . . not sure if mods add to resale or not.

This car is just bad to the bone.

Any thoughts about price?

IMG_E9341.JPG

IMG_9337.JPG

IMG_9343.JPG

IMG_9326.JPG

IMG_9413.JPG

Last edited:

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
In general mods tend to decrease value unless you find the unicorn of a person who wants them. Its almost always more profitable to put everything back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts separately. Not to mention with the tune, the powertrain warranty is now in jeopardy which could turn some people off from the purchase.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
In general mods tend to decrease value unless you find the unicorn of a person who wants them. Its almost always more profitable to put everything back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts separately. Not to mention with the tune, the powertrain warranty is now in jeopardy which could turn some people off from the purchase.
Exactly this, I sure as hell wouldn't may at or above a fair price if the engine/trans/ecus have been modified on this new of a vehicle. Also with the catback, not everyone wants a loud exhaust

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Honestly, list you car on cars & bids website, with a Reserve. If you don't know, that site is literally a hub for enthusiasts. There will likely be more than a few interested parties. Detailed pics including underbody, and a couple of driving videos. It wouldn't surprise me if your car fetched near 40k, maybe more considering the popular mods. Do a fresh polish on the paint and detail, and have stupid good pics. Who knows? There is an AE-86 Corolla on there already at 18k. People pay for desirables and cars that are tastefully modified. If I'm wrong and you get shitty bids I will send you a 12 -pack lol. Also there is a couple dealers in the Dallas area that thrive on modified cars just like yours. They will pay top dollar and the market in that area is stupid. My buddy in Dallas traded his cornflower blue DSG car with APR everything and got like $37k for it. Dealers hold back too, so they can make money off of it. They put his GTI on the lot after servicing it out the next day and it sold like 5 minutes later.

https://hotrides.com/

https://rpmgaragetx.com/

My grandpa used to say all the time: You can't get a bite if you don't fish.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
This shows how crazy the used car market has gotten. There was a 2021 GTI Autobahn at my local BMW dealer in March of 2021 with 1,200 miles for $29k. 18 months later and the same car with 10x the mileage is selling for mid-high 30's according to your post.
Anyway, did you get a quote from Carvana and see what they would give you? Otherwise I agree with Epic Tech to try and list on Cars & Bids.

I've been thinking about selling my R in this hot market but I keep snapping back to reality once I drive it.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
I just bought a '19 GTI SE 6MT, no mods, 4000 miles. $31,500 which seemed fair. They had a '21 Autobahn with like 12K miles, for $33K I think, but I didn't want to touch it because it was modded (springs, some aero, wheels, tint, exhaust and probably tune at least). Mods will add value to the right buyer but you'd be better off putting it back to stock I think

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I just bought a '19 GTI SE 6MT, no mods, 4000 miles. $31,500 which seemed fair. They had a '21 Autobahn with like 12K miles, for $33K I think, but I didn't want to touch it because it was modded (springs, some aero, wheels, tint, exhaust and probably tune at least). Mods will add value to the right buyer but you'd be better off putting it back to stock I think
Man, that's wild -- I bought that exact year, trim, and mileage in November 2020 for almost $5k less than that. The market is nuts.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Dont forget geographic location matters as well.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
These cars are hot right now, I would just wait for the right buyer..... but not too long before things start to cool off. I guarantee you someone would be happy to get it with these mods, you have the typical mods any enthusiast would eventually buy and install, its not like its got an upgraded turbo, a water-meth setup or rebuilt motor, a twin disc clutch or something, he just put an exhaust and tune. Half of the people on this forum have that on their cars already... its honestly a no brainer....

On a newer car like yours with very low miles, its a bit tougher because you hurt the warranty so early, but someone will want it nevertheless. The hassle, time and cost to turn the car back to stock and then sell everything here at half the price it cost you new over the course of years.... look at all the threads here of people trying to get rid of mods after selling the car lol.... Also the car is tuned, even if you tune it back to stock the car will be flagged when scanned and will not have powertrain warranty...

Better be upfront about it, just put it up for sale by owner, have all the documentation of all the mods, the shop that did it etc, and all the other service docs for the buyer... it will be fine, hell list it for the $38k....
All my VWs I bought them stock and sold them "tastefully" modified.... plenty of people love to buy cars previously owned by ("adult") enthusiasts.... your car is so clean and pristine, a lot of people will be asking for it.

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
These are great comments. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to tune it back to stock because I don't care for the giant wall of torque the APR tune delivers, which makes part-throttle pulls a little tricky as torque comes online and then valve timing changes at about 3,000. One minute it's pulling moderately, the next instant it's at the redline. Honestly, I'd rather have a slower car than a twitchy car.

If I decide to sell it, I'll disclose the tunes and will have them reinstalled if the buyer wants before we close the deal.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
These are great comments. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to tune it back to stock because I don't care for the giant wall of torque the APR tune delivers, which makes part-throttle pulls a little tricky as torque comes online and then valve timing changes at about 3,000. One minute it's pulling moderately, the next instant it's at the redline. Honestly, I'd rather have a slower car than a twitchy car.

If I decide to sell it, I'll disclose the tunes and will have them reinstalled if the buyer wants before we close the deal.

Nice car. Used car market in general is hot. Your mileage is going to be good as 2023 model hit. You will have a 2 year old car with under 7K miles per year driven. That is the big plus. The mods, will not raise the core value of the car. With the pricing you are looking at most buyers are likely to need financing and with interest rates going up considerably there will be fewer buyers to qualify.

The tunes I would just leave in place. If you are worried about powertrain warranty, switch to from APR Stage 1 to APR Plus which is powertrain warranty friendly. As an APR owner I believe the tune is free and you just pay the dealer cost to install. Either way you are not going to get an extra money back on these and will turn off rather than turn on most buyers.

If you saved your stock parts and do the work yourself it would be best to sell the intercooler, cat back and intake. That should get you somewhere close to 1500 to 2000 back. If you have to pay pro labor to do the work it becomes a much less viable path in terms of your overall profit from the sale of the car and its parts. I suspect the car sold by private seller will still get you around 36K to maybe 38K not knowing what your market is and assuming the car looks to be in "excellent" condition in person.

Good luck with your sale. Personally I would just keep it as you have it dialed in. I believe you can also easily deal with the complaint you lodged about the throttle feeling like it is off then suddenly full power. That is a software issue and intentional. It is possible to make the throttle more linear. I did it with my MKV build. Check in with APR it is likely an option. Usual throttle is non-linear to make seem faster by making it go to fuller throttle with less pedal.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
The throttle pedal software is adjustable with VCDS or OBD11. I did mine with OBD11, its just one of the preconfigured apps and I think its 10 credits.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking about selling my deep black pearl '21 GTI Autobahn with 13,493 miles, DSG, 18" forged Belvedere wheels, homelink mirror, and monster mats

GMP Performance in Charlotte professionally installed the following modifications:

APR Stage 1 ECU ... APR Stage 1 TCU
APR CatBack ....... APR Carbon Fiber Intake (closed)
APR Intercooler ... APR Wheel Spacers (12mm front and 17mm rear)

Online Prices seem to be $36,000 - 38,000 on Autotrader, but that does not account for mods . . . not sure if mods add to resale or not.

This car is just bad to the bone.

Any thoughts about price?

View attachment 260527

View attachment 260523

View attachment 260524

View attachment 260525

View attachment 260526
Mods don't add to value, if anything, they decrease value. Mods also cut the pool of potential buyers. Beautiful car and good luck with the sale, it someone is looking to buy and mod, it would be a perfect find.

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
The throttle pedal software is adjustable with VCDS or OBD11. I did mine with OBD11, its just one of the preconfigured apps and I think its 10 credits.
I did that with OBDeleven and the difference didn't amount to a fart in a windstorm.