GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FCP Euro -- Returning Fluids

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
It's more just the ignorant or flat out stupid things that people feel they are justified in spewing when they don't understand things as a whole.

FCP will rarely be the cheapest place to purchase your parts, if you're looking to save money in the now you'll have much better luck with ECS, USP motorsports, Shop DAP and a dozen other sites. These people have been in business since 1986, so I'm inclined to believe they've figured out how to make money and offer their sweet, sweet return policy. I'm not trying to say anyone is stupid, I'm just trying to educate them to their ignorance in attempting to shame people people for taking advantage of a policy that is a main selling point for that company. Their return policy is plastered all over their website, they full expect people to choose them because of the buy once, cry once mentality and they are making money off it.

I appreciate education and take no offense to it. 🤓 (y)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
What's next, people discover that autozone recycles your oil for free?

Someone, somewhere is taking the oil to re-use or re-refine. FCP clearly isn't hurting. Love using them to justify the expensive consumables like $40 spark plugs and $90/l brake fluid.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
That equation is incomplete. You've spent $1800 in purchases, then returned $400 worth of product. If we assume that the company is operating at a net profit margin of 10% (overly generous considering much larger parts companies struggle to achieve even half that: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AAP/advance-auto-parts/profit-margins) they have lost $220 overall (and climbing as you plan to return more product) The company would now need to make an additional $2200 in sales just to break even in profit to cover your return. Realistically the loss is even greater because I haven't even factored for the labor costs needed to process your return, send you out new product, inventory adjustments and ordering, etc. They are absolutely 100% losing money when people return products that can't be resold.

Most people will never return what they bought. So while FCP has to refund warranty returns (and lose money by definition), most people will never take advantage of the offer. Fcp has plenty of customers, some of which are drawn in by the warranty, but (shocker!) end up never using it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
My thoughts too. It's like that MoviePass company that you pay like 12 bucks a month for unlimited movie watching. Obviously they went under.

Just how long can this company give out free oil before they have to change policy or they go under? I understand a nice gesture of support they want to show, but isn't this almost taking advantage to the extreme? To the point where you're hurting a business that is trying to be one of the better ones with their return policy? In turn ruining it for everyone else?

Like if I bought my 2k turbo and it blew eventually and I could return it to them. That is pretty damn cool. Yet Joe and Schmoe here ran them out of business because they continued to return their 60 dollar oil changes :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (read this last portion with anger if you choose. It was meant for both ways ) :LOL:

If two guys Joe and Schmoe run fcpeuro out of business just by returning oil, I'll buy them a keg of rum.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
What's next, people discover that autozone recycles your oil for free?

Someone, somewhere is taking the oil to re-use or re-refine. FCP clearly isn't hurting. Love using them to justify the expensive consumables like $40 spark plugs and $90/l brake fluid.

That's actually where I typically bring my oil since it's the closest drive for me.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
75e83ff89169d629457a1b3cc9d2d579.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That equation is incomplete. You've spent $1800 in purchases, then returned $400 worth of product. If we assume that the company is operating at a net profit margin of 10% (overly generous considering much larger parts companies struggle to achieve even half that: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AAP/advance-auto-parts/profit-margins) they have lost $220 overall (and climbing as you plan to return more product) The company would now need to make an additional $2200 in sales just to break even in profit to cover your return. Realistically the loss is even greater because I haven't even factored for the labor costs needed to process your return, send you out new product, inventory adjustments and ordering, etc. They are absolutely 100% losing money when people return products that can't be resold.
The part you are missing is that I've bought a ton of crap "while I'm there" that isn't elgible or may never be returned b/c I don't "use it up". Also, how do you quantify all the sales they will get from folks reading this post? Yes, they do in-fact lose money everytime I return something and they refund my money (but remember, I still paid for the first part that I don't get refunded) but clearly they have done the math here and have reported record growth in the last few years...that isn't b/c they lose money refunding folks for their oil change kits.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
FCP's Lifetime Replacement is not the same as returning a 1/2 bottle of wine to Costco b/c you can and it gives you free wine as many commenting are insinuating. FCP has carefully marketed their replacement policy in hopes of getting more people to visit their site and make purchases. If they offer this "crazy deal" and don't follow through by taking back what they encourage you to do, it will fall on it's face. Clearly, on average, most folk aren't returning everything they buy (b/c most people don't keep their cars long enough for a lot of it to need to be replaced) and are also buying things (like additives) that can't be retuned and have large profit margins. The other trick is that you have to buy a new part first, then return the old part - this also plays in that some won't follow through boxing up old parts and schleping to the UPS Store to pay for shipping when the new part comes even if that was the original intention.

Here is my FCP Euro to-date list for my 3 VWs. I have also included my total spend to-date with FCP Euro. It's a great deal but akin to saving ~20% (for my spending at least) which many do with sales, rebates, etc. anyway from other vendors.

Capture.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Seems like a lot of hassle for engine oil.
To each their own with saving money and I don't disagree - it has a hassle factor and that is why many won't use this. Really it's like rebates...some think it's a hassle, I like taking 5 min to save some money and mail it in.

Last edited: