GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FBO Mk7 MQB?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
So lately I have heard the term FBO thrown around a lot on various platforms, not just this one. My question is what do you consider to be full bolt on for our platform? Is there a cut and dry list for what parts you need to be considered full bolt ons? I think FBO means intake, exhaust, intercooler, and (maybe) HPFP. Would you consider motor/trans mounts as part of this list? Technically an IS38 or a hybrid would be considered a “bolt-on” part but that doesn’t usually come to mind when someone says FBO on this platform. Just thinking out loud here. What do you guys think makes one of our cars “FBO”?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
In my opinion FBO means stage 2 and supporting mods.

Beyond that you'd call it a (insert name of turbo here) car which would also imply all supporting mods are done as well.

So in my case id call my car FBO. Its APR stage 2 with my FMIC, TBE, DKM MS twin disk, Injen intake with a grille scoop, all three BFI mounts, pointless APR turbo inlet I got for free, plus all the brakes and suspension goodies. Its much easier to just say FBO lol

When I do a bigger turbo ill say "its a EFR7163 Gti" or whatever I end up with

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
DSG MQB FBO - IMO
Intake or Modded stock.
TIP
TMD
Discharge piping
IC
Throttle piping
Downpipe
Mounts

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Full bolt on, everything you can bolt on, being added items to what the car came with. Not replacing the turbo. Replace the turbo then its X turbo, FBO (supporting mods)

What you can add that helps performance:
CAI (or performance dropin filter)
IC,
Tune,
Clutch or DSG tune
Full Exhaust (downpipe, Catback)

I don't know lol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Personally, I hate the term because it's way too ambiguous. I've heard people say their gti with a downpipe and stage 2 tune is fbo, and I've heard people refer to my track car with 80k in track prep as fbo.

The rest of the car world laughs at Subaru and VW guys for calling them “stage ____”.

Saying FBO is just a humble way of saying it’s lightly modded without setting up a press conference to list off all of your mods.

Calling your car Track Prepped would be an acceptable substitution as well, of course that varies widely but most enthusiasts would gather that like my car that means suspension/braking mods as well as power mods aimed at track day use.

Probably the biggest joke in the industry are guys with bolt ons who claim they drive a “built Mk7”, built CTSV, or whatever they drive. If it doesn’t have aftermarket forged internals, valvetrain and a big turbski or supercharger it’s not “built” yet you see that term thrown around lightly which gets laughed at.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
The rest of the car world laughs at Subaru and VW guys for calling them “stage ____”.

Saying FBO is just a humble way of saying it’s lightly modded without setting up a press conference to list off all of your mods.

Calling your car Track Prepped would be an acceptable substitution as well, of course that varies widely but most enthusiasts would gather that like my car that means suspension/braking mods as well as power mods aimed at track day use.

Probably the biggest joke in the industry are guys with bolt ons who claim they drive a “built Mk7”, built CTSV, or whatever they drive. If it doesn’t have aftermarket forged internals, valvetrain and a big turbski or supercharger it’s not “built” yet you see that term thrown around lightly which gets laughed at.
I kinda laugh at the stage xxx too, but it's commonplace here and I didn't want to start a war 😂. Agree 100%, no built internals/trans, it's just bolt ons. I just tell people my car is stock because it would take me an hour to go over everything that's done lol

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
Man, coming form a world of naturally aspirated cars growing up, FBO means a lot different than what it does on FI cars.. I mean, you could go as far as saying a lightweight flywheel and poly motor mounts were part of FBO in the late 90's early 00's. Intake headers and exhaust were NOT FBO BITD.

Too many damn acronyms.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
ehh for us IS12 (GSW/AT) guys... FBO really must mean is20 or is38 with supporting mods. I would never call an IS12 car FBO

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Turbo Inlet Pipe
Turbo Muffler Delete.

I didn't realize you were answering someone's question, and thought you were saying a TIP and TMD qualify for being FBO...