GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Favorite tools? Tool collectors? Trades?

GTI*59

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' MK7 GTI 6MT
Anyone collect nice tools? Hand tools, power tools, digital tools, diagnostic tools, ... what do you like?

Here are a few I've become fond of from working on my GTI and venturing into carpentry.
  1. M12 Stubby 3/8" impact hands down. Sunex master socket set to go with it like bread and butter. Swivel sockets are a godsend. Very little fatigue after bigger jobs like intake manifold and intercooler.
  2. Metabo 300Nm 1/2" impact for bigger duty fasteners. Being German enginerded it feels quite in character working on a GTI.
  3. M12 Surge driver for things around the house and for brittle interior fasteners. Lotta T25s hold our interiors in place.
  4. Metabo 200Nm driver for beasting through lag screws, bolts, studs, and so on. Mostly for woodworking.
  5. SK ratchets and chrome sockets. 1/4" is my go to for a lot of things. The clicky little bastard can take a beating.
  6. Precision Instruments split beam torque wrenches. 3/8" and 1/2". Accurate, tough and low maintenance. Going straight to SnapOn's manufacturer with this one.
  7. Klein for pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, pry bars. Every Klein tool comes with a secondary feature as a hammer lol.
  8. Klein clampmeter for electrical stuff, though I'm not experienced enough to take full advantage of mine. Continuity test and non-contact voltage features have saved me a shitton of time figuring out problems.
  9. GearWrench ratcheting combination wrenches have been pretty handy in some oddball situations. Mine don't have enough teeth for my liking. Looking to try a set of ratcheting flex heads.
  10. Trim remover set! They somehow manage to rip and pull apart trim without damage.. for the most part.
  11. Harbor Freight calipers cause rulers are wastes of time lol.
  12. Sawzall for when I need to destroy stuff.
  13. String. One of the most powerful and oldest tools in human history.

These are few stand out tools I use often as a hobbyist.

On my wish list are: angle grinder/die grinder, Knipex stuff to check in on the hype, offset wrenches, DA polisher, and Launch X431 diagnostics which I'll very likely settle for OBD11 or VCDS instead.

Anything you can't live without?
I'm not particularly brand loyal cause every company makes something uncharacteristically crap.
Let me know if you wanna trade or buy anything I may have.
I like trying new tools and keeping things fresh.

cb1111

I've decided years ago that cheap tools are actually very expensive. My favorite tools are Wera, Felo and Wiha for most hand tools, Irega for adjustable wrenches, Wright for wrenches, Grip-On for locking wrenches, NWS and Knipex for stuff like linemans and pipe wrenches. Megapro screwdrivers for the car. Hazet makes great sockets for lug nuts and Gedore makes a great line of automotive tools. Almost nothing from China.

Milwaukee for power tools and everything goes into a Proto rolling chest.

Decent tools make everything easier - even putting an Ikea cabinet together.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I splurged on ratchets to replace my early 90s vintage craftsmans.

07B0B406-3BF8-49E8-8222-ACCEA0AC23B1.jpeg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Facom socket sets & ratchets..Laser tools VW special tools & breaker bars....& Bosch pro (blue) power tools.....the rest is Geodore, Knipex, Draper, & various others..

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I am a tool collector/enthusiast.

Some of my favorite work tools:

DBAA4C6A-DB71-48C0-8A50-B69BA67ED167.jpeg

4E6DAC4F-F60A-477C-81D3-327C9EC91362.jpeg

34994EF9-5AED-4CA8-8649-16F6C5A01C55.jpeg

Love my Knipex stuff!! Cobra pliers are so much better then channel lock style ones.

734164B2-D9E8-494C-8403-9166BD1610D9.jpeg

GTI*59

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' MK7 GTI 6MT
I splurged on ratchets to replace my early 90s vintage craftsmans.
Those are pretty. I'll try snapon if my SKs ever break.

I've decided years ago that cheap tools are actually very expensive. My favorite tools are Wera, Felo and Wiha for most hand tools, Irega for adjustable wrenches, Wright for wrenches, Grip-On for locking wrenches, NWS and Knipex for stuff like linemans and pipe wrenches. Megapro screwdrivers for the car. Hazet makes great sockets for lug nuts and Gedore makes a great line of automotive tools. Almost nothing from China.

Milwaukee for power tools and everything goes into a Proto rolling chest.

Decent tools make everything easier - even putting an Ikea cabinet together.
Agreed. Some of my Pittsburgh tools won't budge. Not complaining though lol.

Facom socket sets & ratchets..Laser tools VW special tools & breaker bars....& Bosch pro (blue) power tools.....the rest is Geodore, Knipex, Draper, & various others..
Good tools for good work. I've spent lots of time reading through your guides. Thank you.

Wera drivers and bits are definitely a cut above.
I've heard. My Makitas are holding strong for now.

I am a tool collector/enthusiast.

Some of my favorite work tools:

Love my Knipex stuff!! Cobra pliers are so much better then channel lock style ones.
I recently picked up a nice little tool haul from an older gentleman who's soon retiring. His Knipexs were the few he wouldn't part with. He just wanted to show off lol.
I love my set of Kleins but I'll try Knipex when the time comes.
Channellocks and Dewalt ride in the car as emergency tools.