Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
Looking to pickup a catch can and have narrowed it down to what I think are the top 5 on the market. Wondering what you guys are running/like the most. If it is not listed above in the poll select other and drop it below.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Can someone who actually has an OCC comment and tell us what if anything catches.

Its hard to see evidence of needing one when one doesnt have an OCC to look into for evidence.

I dont have one either. I was of the logic that its a waste of money. Then i saw pics of ppl catching from 1/4-1/2 cup of oil in 3k miles daily driving and stock cars too, two different platforms.

It may depend also on oil one uses, but i havent the data to back it up. Its just an assumption.

I still dont have one. I was contemplating double OCC from Radium Engineering, to answer your question specifically for my WRX.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Can someone who actually has an OCC comment and tell us what if anything catches.

Its hard to see evidence of needing one when one doesnt have an OCC to look into for evidence.

I dont have one either. I was of the logic that its a waste of money. Then i saw pics of ppl catching from 1/4-1/2 cup of oil in 3k miles daily driving and stock cars too, two different platforms.

It may depend also on oil one uses, but i havent the data to back it up. Its just an assumption.

I still dont have one. I was contemplating double OCC from Radium Engineering, to answer your question specifically for my WRX.

I have the Spulen OCC and I empty it every 1000 miles. Maybe has 1/2 ounce of black watery blowby. I had carbon cleaning done at 50,000 miles and the before borescope showed that I didn't really need it done very much. On a GTI if you don't get the type of OCC system that deletes the PCV valve it won't catch anything. I don't know what type of system your Subie has. The Veloster Turbo I had before the GTI didn't have a factory system like VW so the OCC in that car was very inexpensive and didn't require deleting the PCV valve.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I think the MK7 PCV system is pretty well off, so a catch can is not super necessary. But... the PCV system can be overwhelmed with high boost and hard braking and turning. This is really the only reason I purchased a catch can setup and I made sure I got one that replaces the whole PCV valve. I went with the CTS catch can because I got a really good deal on it and I will be installing it in the spring with my EQT XL turbo. ED at EQT has dug into the OEM PCV valve and was exposed some of its flaws that can cause issues even at stage 2 levels.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
For me and my situation, it was necessary to get one that replaced the weak PCV system so I picked up the Spulen OCC and it works. I empty it every Sunday and there is always a couple of fluid ounces in there from just daily driving. If I'm doing a couple of WOT pulls for data logging, I'm emptying it more than once a week. It also stopped the slight oil leak that I had going down the top side of cylinder 1 and 4 spark plug. The stock PCV valve can't handle high boost/pressure.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Some owners are trying a different pcv (from a different model car S3). It supposedly fixes the accel/braking issues.
Part #: 06K 103 495 BL

Trying to find some GTI/R owners running it and making sure its just not an S3 thing.

Attachments

• 48398460_2789719451041965_1280018580557004800_o.jpg
    48398460_2789719451041965_1280018580557004800_o.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I actually see more smoke with it than stock. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention before. It's only if I take a cloverleaf at speed then nail it once on the highway. It's not a smokescreen but a decent puff. It does smell less like burning when I go WOT for more than 5 seconds.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I think the MK7 PCV system is pretty well off, so a catch can is not super necessary. But... the PCV system can be overwhelmed with high boost and hard braking and turning. This is really the only reason I purchased a catch can setup and I made sure I got one that replaces the whole PCV valve. I went with the CTS catch can because I got a really good deal on it and I will be installing it in the spring with my EQT XL turbo. ED at EQT has dug into the OEM PCV valve and was exposed some of its flaws that can cause issues even at stage 2 levels.

Would you happen to have the ED EQT OEM PCV link? Been looking for it for a while and can't seem to find it anywhere.

The biggest issue with the OEM PCV is high boost. 28-29+ PSI and it starts to fail. The issues are not always obvious and it isn't always a case that oil goes to the TIP.
Short of that the OEM PCV is by far the better option. Currently I am running the Spulen V2 since changing tunes and while it is pretty good, it isn't perfect and has some questionable details but it is one of the better ones out there with the CTS looking good too. Many of the PCV plates are nothing alike and there really isn't THAT much good info out on them out there. Most people are better off staying below 28 PSI and using the OEM PCV plate.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Some owners are trying a different pcv (from a different model car S3). It supposedly fixes the accel/braking issues.

Trying to find some GTI/R owners running it and making sure its just not an S3 thing.

Stick with the BM part. It is better. It will vent boost just fine as long as you are below 28 PSI.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie

06K-103-495-BL
so is this the correct one for a 2015 gti s? on the website it says it fits golf and r but doesnt list the gti thanks

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Stick with the BM part. It is better. It will vent boost just fine as long as you are below 28 PSI.
Why would someone wanna be stuck below 28 psi? Lol

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Spulen all day.

The new PCV from what I've seen/heard doesn't really fix the issue.

If you're a normal driver, all vanilla. You won't need one or notice a difference.

If your go for high performance, HPDE, time attack, whatever you need a proper one.

Spulen and RL both replace the PCV plate n do the work needed to keep the motor running at full speed with high-G forces.

I've had one for 3 years now. The lines are tight, the gasket is well made, and the plate is amazing with additional boost tap ports.

I do empty it, on track at least 2 times a day.

Normal driving, maybe once a week but its rarely full.

I'm FBO, hybrid turbo, pro tuned. Even when I was stock with a Jb4 the problem was the same.

I do use Liqui Moly 5w-40 with m0s2 to help keep things healthy as I put this motor through hell.

When using mobile 1 I would have to empty every 2 sessions on track. With LM I can get 3-5 depending on how hard I push. With the v2 baffles system, I can do a solid 5 sessions before I empty (still not full, just habit) Does that matter? to me yes. Can I explain why with science? No.

I just know the car likes it.

I'll drop this here at the end for you to check out we talk about the Spulen version a bit more.