GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Faster then a Mustang GT?

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
One of the first cars I had the opportunity to race, was a newer Mustang GT. We were both on the freeway, late at night, and no traffic. We raced 3 times. I was surprised how even we both were, as I thought the Mustang would be much faster.

I won 1, neck & neck on second, and he won by a nose. Very even races.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Love that they have the weight of the base Golf listed instead of the Golf R.
Imagine if the Golf R was actually 3080lbs.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Love that they have the weight of the base Golf listed instead of the Golf R.
Imagine if the Golf R was actually 3080lbs.

As it is its a go-cart.. not sure why really since the weight is within 200 - 300 of the Mustang GT.. and the GT has the better engine. The only conclusion is that AWD kicks in and makes the difference.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
AWD definitely helps. Newer Mustangs definitely have an issue launching with the soft rear subframe/components and wheel hop.

Once you hit past the 0-60 marks the Mustang really does go (look at the 0-80 and 0-100 times).

The rolling tests make sense too since the GT is N/A and 6th gear is insanely long. That's a common trend amongst turbo vs N/A cars even using the shorter gears.

I'd like to see the numbers with the tests in a lower gear (3rd/4th/5th) and see what happens. There's no way I'd do a rolling race against another car at that speed in those gears.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
AWD definitely helps. Newer Mustangs definitely have an issue launching with the soft rear subframe/components and wheel hop.

Once you hit past the 0-60 marks the Mustang really does go (look at the 0-80 and 0-100 times).

The rolling tests make sense too since the GT is N/A and 6th gear is insanely long. That's a common trend amongst turbo vs N/A cars even using the shorter gears.

I'd like to see the numbers with the tests in a lower gear (3rd/4th/5th) and see what happens. There's no way I'd do a rolling race against another car at that speed in those gears.

The Mustang won’t ever need an engine replacement unless it’s supercharged lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
The Mustang won’t ever need an engine replacement unless it’s supercharged lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never huh?

The Gen 2 and Gen 3 Coyote's are pretty stout motors. 600-650 whp on a stock block w/ boost and very limited issues is pretty common.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
Except a tendency to consume lots of oil.

From everything I've seen it's not as big of an issue as people think. You can point out countless oil consumption issues across various manufacturers too (especially forced induction from the factory).

The weakest point (and it's still questionable depending on how you drive/rev) is the oil pump gear/crank sprockets. Seems more of an issue when revving it out past 7500 consistently. But for the most part there's plenty of people running FI on those motors with no issues till about 650 or even more whp.

The 2.3 ecoboost in the Focus RS - that's a different story.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
From everything I've seen it's not as big of an issue as people think. You can point out countless oil consumption issues across various manufacturers too (especially forced induction from the factory).

The weakest point (and it's still questionable depending on how you drive/rev) is the oil pump gear/crank sprockets. Seems more of an issue when revving it out past 7500 consistently. But for the most part there's plenty of people running FI on those motors with no issues till about 650 or even more whp.

The 2.3 ecoboost in the Focus RS - that's a different story.

I had several friends into Mustangs and the only internal component people routinely broke were oil pump gears. It was always either blower cars, or cars launching off a high (5000+ RPM) launch limiter.

A few of them scattered bottom ends at high power levels but detonation was always a factor. One of the issues with boosting them is you really should stay E85. High compression + boost and pump gas really hurts long term reliability.

twisted42

I had a 2016 Mustang GT and it wasn't the engine that was the problem... it was everything around it.
I had what I would call a medium problem with oil consumption, but it wasn't the main issue. The electronics, all of the computer stuff was a real issue. In 2.5 years of ownership it was in the shop for 8 weeks and still didn't run right. Transmission was an issue and the shifter was terrible.
Glad to be rid of it.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
I had a 2016 Mustang GT and it wasn't the engine that was the problem... it was everything around it.
I had what I would call a medium problem with oil consumption, but it wasn't the main issue. The electronics, all of the computer stuff was a real issue. In 2.5 years of ownership it was in the shop for 8 weeks and still didn't run right. Transmission was an issue and the shifter was terrible.
Glad to be rid of it.

I'm at 4 years now and for the most part it's been fine. Some consumables here and there (wheel bearing/hub on the rear) and brakes/tires.

The shifter/transmission is definitely not the best. I much prefer the R trans in comparison. It's loud, clunky, and you have to manhandle it a bit. Clutch feeling is next to zilch. But you get that V8 revving to 7000 and damn you almost forget it all.

Haven't had any issues with oil or electronics at all.

Suspension needed a lot of help from the aftermarket (still in progress) to get the wheel hop/stability in check.