GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failing to get info from Bilstein Re: B4 & B6

beanbag

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hello folks,
I am trying and failing to get info from Bilstein regarding specs for these two shocks. Filled out contact form - no reply. Called Poway office - long time hold, no callback.
All I know is the general platitudes that the B4's are supposed to be OEM-like and B6 have more damping (i.e. comfort -> normal, normal -> race, etc)
Bilstein specs the same B4 and B6 shocks for the Golf R and GTI, even though they come stock with different shocks and spring rates. So it must be some kind of "ehh, close enough, f**k off".
I have Mk7.5 Golf R and want to get new (custom) springs with Ground Control adjusters, slightly stiffer, and new DCC shocks, ideally with a touch more damping as well. (damping proportional to sqrt(spring rate))
At least from searching forums and internet, I found out what the stock spring rates and lengths are. So choosing new springs I can go off of that.
Questions are: Does the B4 have more or the same damping as stock Golf R damper?
What % more damping does the B6 have? I really need the % value to tell if it's going to be over / under damped.
For reference, the stock springs with new stock dampers has pretty close to the "right" amount of damping in Normal mode.

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
The DCC damper have plenty of range, i suspect they are the same part number across the range as software can be changed much easier than hardware.

See https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...rt-active-suspension-controller.382469/page-5, post 72.

@Cliff had great success back in the day but i doubt you need a new damper unless yours are bad. A call to ground control may yield better info too.

if you are still curious, I was able once able to get someone at Bilstein (Mooresville, i think) to give me some general info, B6 are 10-15% stiffer then B4
They did not know how B4 compared to stock, I have heard 10% allot of places on the internet but seen no real data.

Take it with a grain of salt but Neuspeed has damping data listed for Bilstein B6 on their website. (it is in N/mm at 20.5in/s) I extrapolated and visually matched this to a rear damper plots posted in the dsc sport thread and got the following best guess curves for B6s and koni sports data for comparison (email and they gave 5, 8, 13 in/s info). They are close match so I assume my B6 guess is close. koni SA included for others.

1718119047869.png

Last edited:

beanbag

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thank you for the info. Where on neuspeed's web page is the Bilstein damping info?
I don't think the B16 referenced in that thread is the same as the B6 (without perch), as the B6 are twin tube and B16 are mono tube. No wonder the DCC only works in one direction on B16.
Good suggestion to try calling the other Bilstein locations. "Back in the day" the North Carolina location was for circle track and Poway was street cars.

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
Fronts,

https://neuspeed.com/collections/vo...cts/bilstein-monotube-strut-front-35229872919

Looks like the info is no longer there for the rears

I just used the b16 i for for shape and coincidentally the softest setting of the b16 matches the quoted rear rate for the b6, i was assuming bilstein didn't venture too far off.shape wise. One day ill pay for

Normally for bilstein produce b4 is the only twin tube the rest should be monotube,

There was some debate on there b16 damptronic i dont remember the outcome

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
I had bilstein b4 on my golf R, they were horrible, i found them very underdamped especially in the rear. Bilstein also has horrendous customer service, my shocks with 85,000km were firmer than the b4. They for sure use a shot gun approach with their products. It essentially fits and they don’t really care. They provide no specifics and whoever answers the phone over there knows next to nothing about their products.
Also the quoted 10% stiffer always raised my suspicions. They never specifiy for which model of car that there shock is 10% stiffer.

Last edited:

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
The DCC damper have plenty of range, i suspect they are the same part number across the range as software can be changed much easier than hardware.

See https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...rt-active-suspension-controller.382469/page-5, post 72.

@Cliff had great success back in the day but i doubt you need a new damper unless yours are bad. A call to ground control may yield better info too.

if you are still curious, I was able once able to get someone at Bilstein (Mooresville, i think) to give me some general info, B6 are 10-15% stiffer then B4
They did not know how B4 compared to stock, I have heard 10% allot of places on the internet but seen no real data.

Take it with a grain of salt but Neuspeed has damping data listed for Bilstein B6 on their website. (it is in N/mm at 20.5in/s) I extrapolated and visually matched this to a rear damper plots posted in the dsc sport thread and got the following best guess curves for B6s and koni sports data for comparison (email and they gave 5, 8, 13 in/s info). They are close match so I assume my B6 guess is close. koni SA included for others.

View attachment 306081
The dcc dampers are different across range if your referring to golf r vs gti. Its not just a matter of software they are different part numbers.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I had bilstein b4 on my golf R, they were horrible, i found them very underdamped especially in the rear. Bilstein also has horrendous customer service, my shocks with 85,000km were firmer than the b4. They for sure use a shot gun approach with their products. It essentially fits and they don’t really care. They provide no specifics and whoever answers the phone over there knows next to nothing about their products.
Also the quoted 10% stiffer always raised my suspicions. They never specifiy for which model of car that there shock is 10% stiffer.
I agree with this observation. I remember asking them about my B14s and I pretty much got a non answer from their support. I decided to get a set anyways because everyone said how good the B14s were. Yeah.... No. Either I messed up or I'm getting a lot of secondary motion even though I got plenty of travel for the springs and they're only 1 year old.

Stay away from Bilstein. Koni is supposed to be better. Or if you're not tracking, keep it stock. VW spent millions developing the suspension compared to these aftermarket companies.