GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
That’s laying the ground work of “doing you a favor.” Some of these people act as if the internet just doesn’t exist.
Just got the call from my service advisor. She said "yeah the housing was fucked. We're replacing it and we have it in stock" and proceeded to ask how I liked the gti because she just bought one.

relive

Ready to race!
I asked the dealer to send me a photo of the thermostat housing while it was on the lift, and this is what they sent me. There is no residue anywhere in the photo, but I can't tell exactly what I am looking at. Can someone confirm if this is the thermostat housing?

IMG_2012_20210226_161037.jpg

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I asked the dealer to send me a photo of the thermostat housing while it was on the lift, and this is what they sent me. There is no residue anywhere in the photo, but I can't tell exactly what I am looking at. Can someone confirm if this is the thermostat housing?

View attachment 206668
What is the trail of residue on the lower right quadrant? Right under the smaller of the two hoses.

relive

Ready to race!
What is the trail of residue on the lower right quadrant? Right under the smaller of the two hoses.
Here's a slightly angle that they sent me. Doesn't show the residue that may be in the first photo. Can't really see much in either photo, though. Is it concerning enough to you that I should take it back and have them take another look?

IMG_2011_20210226_161037.jpg

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Here's a slightly angle that they sent me. Doesn't show the residue that may be in the first photo. Can't really see much in either photo, though. Is it concerning enough to you that I should take it back and have them take another look?

View attachment 206678
A731346A-CFC6-41D0-9B78-B988C7E5DE2B.jpeg

here is the mark I’m questioning. It’s hard to tell in the photo, but it COULD be coolant. It’s a typical spot for it to run down. Mine was similar. Mine was pooled up on the oil pan rail. It can never hurt to have someone look at it. Dealers seem really resistance to fixing what is a widespread problem.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Got the car back. Looks like they only replaced the thermostat housing so let's hope that's it. Spilled a bunch of coolant around under the hood too. View attachment 206681
Mine was similar. Kept smelling coolant after and it was really annoying. Get a spray bottle with dish detergent and water and just saturate the areas with coolant and be done. I didn't even rinse it. No smell after that.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Amazingly the Carmax warranty I purchased is covering $1600 in repairs, they didn't even question it. I was planning on cancelling this because I thought it was a waste of money, but it already exceeds what I originally paid for it.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 83

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Does Carmax do the work?
No, the work is being done at the dealer. You take the car to any repair shop and the shop sends the claim in. You can get a $50 discount on your deductible if you take it to an "approved" shop, but i'd rather just let an actual VW tech do it.