GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
A slow leak is a problem waiting to happen.
I've unknowingly had this problem for quite sometime. Thought it was "normal" to top up. No disaster, yet. Are there any all aluminium options available for the housing and pump assembly? I'm at 67k miles and out of warranty so this will be self funded. 😔

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
At what point should you bring it to the dealer? As soon as you first notice it leaking coolant?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Oh damn so it can blow at any time? I thought it took more of a buildup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is there an aftermarket upgrade for this yet or are we stuck with factory parts?

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Is there an aftermarket upgrade for this yet or are we stuck with factory parts?
I haven't seen anything. Maybe someone else can chime in. I ended up purchasing through FCPEuro, for the warranty aspect. 🤷‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Someone does make an aluminum housing but I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the company. I saw it in the forum not too long ago but a search didn't help.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
For my own online documentation lol. This happened a couple weeks ago. Car is 4 years old now, and this happened at 32,753 miles.

No signs of coolant issues. Suddenly got stranded at Costco when I saw steam when parking and later coolant on the ground. Diagnostic shows "defective pump and thermostat housing." Replaced under warranty.

Just filled out that NHTSA form.