GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
As long as VW has to pay less for the warranty $ than re-engineering the water pump thermostat housing
it will be warranty repair. That is the way I see it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
As long as VW has to pay less for the warranty $ than re-engineering the water pump thermostat housing
it will be warranty repair. That is the way I see it.

That obviously is the way VW sees it also which is really stupid on VW's part. Warranty repairs have cost them far more than finding a permanent fix. Maybe VW should ask another car manufacturer how it can be done. Nobody else has this problem. ?

1fastmk7

Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
2017 GTI SE, have started to lose coolant on a regular basis. Slight coolant smell sometimes. Reservoir going from max to min every 5-6k or so.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just got my 40K mile, 2017 Sport back from the dealer to check for a leak. Naturally the system held pressure- I was told by the Service Writer that the coolant "just evaporated" from the system. And can anyone explain to me just how evaporation occurs in a sealed, pressurized cooling system? Who wants to be the first to volunteer to use just their hands to remove the overflow tank cap for me the next time the car gets warmed-up? Those warning stickers on the cap are just B.S., right?
So the dealership "topped off" (in writing, too!) the overflow bottle by overfilling it to the seam, not the Max line. It took less than 10k miles for the level to drop below the Min line prior to the coolant loss to start happening. I wonder how long it will take this time? At least I now have dated photos to document the various coolant levels. Looks like I need to get it up on a lift, take the splash pan off & take some photos from below as recommended by a previous poster. (Thanks for the heads-up!)

Johaan

Ready to race!
2018 GTI S, 18k miles, dealer replaced my oil cooler a few weeks ago. I was leaking oil and smelling coolant.

Wager I have to go back, I'm still smelling coolant, but its less than before. Levels are holding pretty steady as far as I can tell. 150 miles should have been long enough to burn off any residuals.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
2018 GTI S, 18k miles, dealer replaced my oil cooler a few weeks ago. I was leaking oil and smelling coolant.

Wager I have to go back, I'm still smelling coolant, but its less than before. Levels are holding pretty steady as far as I can tell. 150 miles should have been long enough to burn off any residuals.
Leaking from oil cooler down onto the thermostat housing/seal is the second failure mode I personally experienced with my thermostat housing...

2016manualgolf

just got my oil changed today, 134,000km/83,000miles, the car is 3 years and 9 months old.

the thermostat housing assembly is leaking, my garage called the local VW dealer, they recommend changing the seals, hoses, and water pump. Over $1,000cdn in parts and approximately that again in labour. the dealer said this part has been changed 3 times since the mark7's came out, and that they have done 5 golfs already this month with the same problem.
ummmm this is a pretty major $$ repair, like 25% of the value of this car.
the dealer says its only covered till 100,000km
called VW Canada, they want me to take it to the dealer, then the dealer and VW Canada will have a conversation about it and decide how much, if any, they will cover.

this is my second new golf (1st 2012), and I've noticed a big change in VW that since the diesel scandal, not the sweet 'we love our customers' company, now its all very adversarial. so disappointing: the car (multiple warranty repairs), the dealer, and VW.
thanks for letting me vent, cheers

p.s. oh anyone had their rear callipers fail yet? they will, and VW doesn't have replacements in stock... had to rent a car for three days to have mine rebuild.
should have bought a dull but reliable Toyota

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
That obviously is the way VW sees it also which is really stupid on VW's part. Warranty repairs have cost them far more than finding a permanent fix. Maybe VW should ask another car manufacturer how it can be done. Nobody else has this problem. ?

Lol, yes, they do. Google the Ford Powershift transmission debacle. Instead of redesigning the transmission, they chose to continue on with the problematic design, and it's cost them billions in warranty repairs. They knew even before the transmission made it into production that it was a piece of trash and they ignored it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27438193/ford-powershift-transmission-problems/