GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

Boltsfan17

Checked my coolant level after a week of driving and noticed a loss close to midway between full and minimum. To top it off, today I noticed a small pinkish puddle in my garage.

I know for sure there’s a leak. I guess the next question is from where. I’ve heard about the faulty water pumps. Regardless, I’m due for service in 700 miles and thankfully this is part of the powertrain warranty as I’ve just eclipsed the 39k mark.

jimlloyd40

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
2018 SE DSG
Checked my coolant level after a week of driving and noticed a loss close to midway between full and minimum. To top it off, today I noticed a small pinkish puddle in my garage.

I know for sure there’s a leak. I guess the next question is from where. I’ve heard about the faulty water pumps. Regardless, I’m due for service in 700 miles and thankfully this is part of the powertrain warranty as I’ve just eclipsed the 39k mark.
Almost surely the thermostat housing.

Judas

not on reddit

2015 vw gti s dsg non pp
bought new

replaced waterpump around 25k under warranty
replaced thermostat and housing at 59k (just before warranty ran out, wouldve cost me 1100)
also had to replace top timing belt cover at the same time as thermostat for 450 not under warranty
when replacing the thermostat and housting they found 3 leaks i think as well

long story short

bought this car brand new

every single day i can smell a faint bit of coolant after driving it
and coolant was always getting lower and lower
had two dealers check multiple time kept saying they couldnt find anything
until my car shit on me with a dashboard full of error codes, turned out to be waterpump
after the waterpump it kept smelling like hot coolant
both dealers said it was normal for vw to smell that way
iv drivien cars a long time and never had any smell of coolant unless it was leaking
i had them check probly 5 times over four years and could never find a leak apparently
after replacing thermostat housing i hoped thatd fix me smelling it, but no its still there
of course dealer cant smell it,

has me very worried especially having to fix an oil leak from the top cover of the timing chain,
cars too young to have leaks,

theDoktor

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like I get to join this party. No sign of any coolant leakage in early Sept. when I had an oil change & 30K service at the dealer. Shortly after that service I noticed that the perpetually wet spot in my driveway where the nose of the car sits when parked had a reddish tint to it. Then a week or so ago I noticed a puff of steam from under the hood about 15-20 seconds after I shut the car off. This has happened several times since the first observation. Looked under the hood- no obvious signs of a coolant leak except for an overflow tank with coolant at the Min mark when hot. I now have an appointment at the dealership for next week to look at, & hopefully fix this problem.
Thank you all for all the helpful information on this issue. If suspicions are confirmed, I plan on filing an NHSTA complaint. Hopefully enough of these complaints to NHSTA will turn our complaints into a recall.

jimlloyd40

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
2018 SE DSG
Looks like I get to join this party. No sign of any coolant leakage in early Sept. when I had an oil change & 30K service at the dealer. Shortly after that service I noticed that the perpetually wet spot in my driveway where the nose of the car sits when parked had a reddish tint to it. Then a week or so ago I noticed a puff of steam from under the hood about 15-20 seconds after I shut the car off. This has happened several times since the first observation. Looked under the hood- no obvious signs of a coolant leak except for an overflow tank with coolant at the Min mark when hot. I now have an appointment at the dealership for next week to look at, & hopefully fix this problem.
Thank you all for all the helpful information on this issue. If suspicions are confirmed, I plan on filing an NHSTA complaint. Hopefully enough of these complaints to NHSTA will turn our complaints into a recall.
That could be the biggest recall in history. 😂

jimlloyd40

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
2018 SE DSG
As long as VW has to pay less for the warranty $ than re-engineering the water pump thermostat housing
it will be warranty repair. That is the way I see it.
That obviously is the way VW sees it also which is really stupid on VW's part. Warranty repairs have cost them far more than finding a permanent fix. Maybe VW should ask another car manufacturer how it can be done. Nobody else has this problem. 😂