GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Mine was loosing coolant, saw the dried coolant down the side of the engine etc. I topped it off a few months ago to decided I wouldn't touch it for a while to see how long it took to reach the min line or light come on in dash etc., For some data to give to dealer for taking it in on warranty claim.

Fluid level dropped down to halfway between min and Max and has been there for months now, static. Not sure what to think lol.

Either way I will probably go ahead and replace it all if I ever take off the intake mani for MPI, valve cleaning etc.

rojiee

Well thats some what good news that it doesn't drop to crazy. I'd say just stress more about the light going off when you decide to take to the deal.
I filled mine to max and drove it a bit now at the half way point but it was 3 days. Definitely a leak somewhere.

rojiee

VideoCapture_20200414-092300.jpg
VideoCapture_20200414-092430.jpg

pricej636

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I think I posted earlier in this thread, but 2017 GTI SE with just over 30k on it. Was losing fluid regularly and yesterday there was a small puddle of coolant under the car when I backed out of the garage. VW replaced both thermostat housing and water pump today after pressure test showed both were leaking.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
water pumps and leaks in tubing fixed at around 30k
thermostat housing and more tubing leaks fixed around 59k

now i have a fault in the secondary waterpump, so needs to be replaced , which of course is leaking, and more tubing leaking coolant at 67k

Leonardp

Go Kart Newbie
  1. Model year and model 2015 VW GTI
  2. Mileage. 52,000
  3. Have you tested your coolant system? YES
  4. Have you had multiple failures and replacements of the housing? NO.
  5. Took to dealer today as I just started noticing lower fluid level in tank. Dealer will replace housing and thermostat under warranty, no questions asked.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
  1. Model year and model 2015 VW GTI
  2. Mileage. 52,000
  3. Have you tested your coolant system? YES
  4. Have you had multiple failures and replacements of the housing? NO.
  5. Took to dealer today as I just started noticing lower fluid level in tank. Dealer will replace housing and thermostat under warranty, no questions asked.

AFTER your repairs are done, please file a report/complaint with NHSTA. We need to build a big enough case file with them so the repairs hopefully will become a recall item and finally VW will put enough engineering & production resources into this issue that it finally gets fixed. See the first page/item on this issue.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
  1. Model year and model: 2015 VW GTI S
  2. Mileage: 65,000 miles
  3. Have you tested your coolant system? Yes, on multiple occasions
  4. Have you had multiple failures and replacements of the housing? No
  5. Took it to the dealer 3 times over the last ~5,000 miles.
    1. Low coolant light - first time no leak was found and they simply topped it off.
    2. Drop in coolant (no light) - They found corrosion at the coolant sensor and said there was a "coolant migration" issue that has been observed and it is out for recall on Tiguans. Replaced coolant expansion tank and sensor wires under warranty, no questions asked.
    3. I actually brought it in for a small EVAP leak code and during visual inspection they found a coolant leak, pressure tested and failed. They replaced the pump and thermostat housing under warranty, no questions asked. EVAP canister and purge valve also all replaced under warranty, no questions asked)
Basically since I had documented coolant loss just as my power train warranty came to a close they honored everything 5k miles later.

Leonardp

Go Kart Newbie
AFTER your repairs are done, please file a report/complaint with NHSTA. We need to build a big enough case file with them so the repairs hopefully will become a recall item and finally VW will put enough engineering & production resources into this issue that it finally gets fixed. See the first page/item on this issue.
Ok will do

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Worth a try but I don't think anything will cause VW to fix it. Thousands of warranty repairs haven't caused them fix it.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I think I'm affected. I topped it off twice now since I owned the car. Last December, I took it to Pfaff VW and 5 months + 7,000km later, my coolant is barely above the low mark.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just had mine replaced at 97k miles. In that time had to refill coolant 3 times at 81k, 85k and 89k. Hopefully get another 100k out of it.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion