GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory Intercooler Delete Kit?

sandman1979

Mk7 GTI owner here. I had a FMIC installed on my car and it is a bypass system. That means that my OEM intercooler is no longer used whatsoever. I hate seeing the openings in the bottom of the IC just sitting there with nothing to plug it and the fact that it is there in the first place (unneeded weight/cramps front end when not needed anymore)...

So, the only thing I have found as far as a means to fix what bothers me is a delete kit.
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Neus...xzFmG-k86HMbsZDp5H85Mf7t_y2XqYmxoCwNgQAvD_BwE

It is for the MK5/6 and the local mechanic (He was a district service manager at VW and now has his own shop) said it 'should' fit the mk7. Anyone have any experience with trying to do a OEM IC delete on a MK7? What did you do to it and what were the results?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts that anyone can give.
Brian

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If mk6 intercoolers fit mk7 I’m sure someone upgrading from 6 to 7 would’ve caught that by now almost 5 years into production in the US.

If you’re loosing sleep over it take the 5 hours of labor to pull it apart and then pay a fabrication shop to whip one up.

$800~$1000 well spent lol

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
They do not fit, the mounting of the radiator and condenser rely solely on the intercooler and the intercooler mounts to the core support. There has not been any product out yet that can delete the intercooler. Also the way the cores are stacked allows air to be less turbulent in between them

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
What previous poster said, you need the IC there as a spacer,maps far is weight goes it is unbelievable how skimpy and featherweight the factory IC is. My I.E. Inter cooler is a solid heavy piece of engineering! That kind of added heft is good weight!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
What previous poster said, you need the IC there as a spacer,maps far is weight goes it is unbelievable how skimpy and featherweight the factory IC is. My I.E. Inter cooler is a solid heavy piece of engineering! That kind of added heft is good weight!
Agreed. When I picked my car up after the intercooler was upgraded, the stock I/C in the IE intercooler box felt empty, lol.

In case of a part out, just cap the two holes, and you're set. Just leave the old one in place.

AaronC1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 White SE DSG

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
The easiest option for a factory intercooler delete is to just use the endtanks from the factory IC. The end tanks literally just pull off after releasing some tabs, and then you've got a factory spacer without inter cooler in between.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Yeah so harsh. I guess I’m the resident mean guy because I didn’t sugar coat that most people don’t care.

The easiest option for a factory intercooler delete is to just use the endtanks from the factory IC. The end tanks literally just pull off after releasing some tabs, and then you've got a factory spacer without inter cooler in between.

Easiest yes, but five hours of labor to remove the OEM unit and re install the end tanks isn’t exactly easy when one of the major selling points of a FMIC is reduced install labor.

The thin little OEM unit isn’t restrictive and definitely isn’t adding any heat to the AC/IC/Rad package without any charge air traveling through it.

I’d rather spend five hours doing something noticeable like detail the car or attend a track day.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Yeah so harsh. I guess I’m the resident mean guy because I didn’t sugar coat that most people don’t care.

Easiest yes, but five hours of labor to remove the OEM unit and re install the end tanks isn’t exactly easy when one of the major selling points of a FMIC is reduced install labor.

The thin little OEM unit isn’t restrictive and definitely isn’t adding any heat to the AC/IC/Rad package without any charge air traveling through it.

I’d rather spend five hours doing something noticeable like detail the car or attend a track day.

At my age, 71, that could be one helluva nap!