GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory Brake fluid question. Is the VW stuff low viscosity?

mud4

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI GFG
About to do brakes on my GTI and I keep reading that VW recommends DOT 4 LV fluid.

I'm looking at online sites and see the OEM VW fluid (Part Number B0007501LDSP) and it doesn't state LV like other products. It's factory VW/Audi so I'm assuming it's the safe bet to use in our cars, and probably what's in the car, but just curious if I'm missing something. Or should I go with something like a Pentosin 4 LV? The latter is almost twice the price of the OEM though.

Also noted that the system is aprox 1.2 liters. I plan on doing the clutch as well. Is it correct to assume that the clutch also uses the fluid from the same master and the 1.2L includes clutch service as well?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I always used the ATE sl6 as linked above, no problems at all. But ATE has more recently released it's 'Super DOT 5.1' which is also LV with slightly better wet and dry boiling points. Using this as of my last bleed, again no problems.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Also noted that the system is aprox 1.2 liters. I plan on doing the clutch as well. Is it correct to assume that the clutch also uses the fluid from the same master and the 1.2L includes clutch service as well?
You can just about get away with 1 liter for bleeding all four brake calipers if you keep a close eye on fluid level, so I'd say yes for the 1.2 liters to include the clutch as well. Being as you will have to crack open an extra can anyway to account for the clutch, I'd probably run about 1.5 through to be sure if I had a manual.

mud4

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI GFG
Thanks guys!

I guess my main question was, is the factory fluid LV? I'm assuming if I go to the dealer they're going to use the product I posted above?

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
B0007501LDSP is the 1L size.
B0007501MDSP is the 500ml size.
This part number is labeled DOT 4 Class 6 which is another name for DOT 4 LV. (Came in a black plastic bottle.)
The local dealer to me sold the 1L size for $10 which was the cheapest i could find for DOT 4 LV.
If you're using a pressure bleeder and doing a clutch along with it, i would really recommend just getting 2L.
The Erwin manual says to run 200ml through each front caliper, 300ml through each rear caliper, then 100ml through the clutch, pump the clutch a bunch, then run another 50ml through the clutch. After that, the opening the bleed on the clutch still looked murky (you're getting fluid out of the secondary cylinder). i ended up running 200 to 300ml through the clutch i think, doing the cycling of closing the valve, vigorous pumping, opening the valve thing.
i say 2L because the pressure bleeder was getting mighty low at that point and the positioning of the pickup is such that you can't really run the tank empty. i felt safer having a bit in there. And then you're going to want some to get your reservoiur back up to Max.

mud4

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI GFG
B0007501LDSP is the 1L size.
B0007501MDSP is the 500ml size.
This part number is labeled DOT 4 Class 6 which is another name for DOT 4 LV. (Came in a black plastic bottle.)
The local dealer to me sold the 1L size for $10 which was the cheapest i could find for DOT 4 LV.
If you're using a pressure bleeder and doing a clutch along with it, i would really recommend just getting 2L.
The Erwin manual says to run 200ml through each front caliper, 300ml through each rear caliper, then 100ml through the clutch, pump the clutch a bunch, then run another 50ml through the clutch. After that, the opening the bleed on the clutch still looked murky (you're getting fluid out of the secondary cylinder). i ended up running 200 to 300ml through the clutch i think, doing the cycling of closing the valve, vigorous pumping, opening the valve thing.
i say 2L because the pressure bleeder was getting mighty low at that point and the positioning of the pickup is such that you can't really run the tank empty. i felt safer having a bit in there. And then you're going to want some to get your reservoiur back up to Max.
I'll go with 2 liters just to be safe. Thanks for the thorough information!
Yes it is
Thank you!

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Hey uh, I bought a several bottles of B0007501MDSP from FCP euro and the label doesn’t match the label on the website

The product label in my hands is attached below. It just says dot 4 on it and it doesn’t say class 6. And it doesn’t say conforms to VW 501 14, which it’s supposed to say based on what’s shown on the site. My user manual says it has to say that it conforms to that.

The bottle I have does say part # B0007501MDSP on it

Did fcp euro send me the correct item?

Attachments

• 1720478062366.jpeg
    1720478062366.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Hey uh, I bought a several bottles of B0007501MDSP from FCP euro and the label doesn’t match the label on the website

The product label in my hands is attached below. It just says dot 4 on it and it doesn’t say class 6. And it doesn’t say conforms to VW 501 14, which it’s supposed to say based on what’s shown on the site. My user manual says it has to say that it conforms to that.

The bottle I have does say part # B0007501MDSP on it

Did fcp euro send me the correct item?
If unsure call or email them and ask. When looking at their website the bottle they show does indicate Class on it, so I would inquire. Personally, I have used the Pentosin DOT4 LV brake fluid. I can get this from Autozone and I have no problems.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7 Alltrack
You can run the regular dot 4, supposedly ABS will engage more slowly with it compared to the LV but I don’t know if I’ve ever seen proof of that statement. I ran RBF600 in my 2018 GTI for autocross, and now have ATE typ 200 in my Alltrack. No issues with either fluid.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I inquired and they said that the most important thing is the part number on the bottle. The rep said put me on hold and he checked with the parts people and a long time VW member on their team confirmed this information.

So if you buy from FCP, expect the label on your actual bottle may not include class 6 on there even though the part number will be correct.