GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Facelifting MK7

Bakili

Ready to race!
Hey guys, just wondering if headlights, front bumper from MK7.5 will directly bolt on MK7. Also wanting replacing tail lights from SE mk7.5 estate to SE mk7 estate?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Why?

Hey guys, just wondering if headlights, front bumper from MK7.5 will directly bolt on MK7. Also wanting replacing tail lights from SE mk7.5 estate to SE mk7 estate?

Why?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
VW marketing material for the launch of the facelift mk7 stated that the car has new front wings (towards the bottom of the article at the link below). They look the same as the mk7 wings but if the recesses for the headlamps - and the headlamps themselves - happen to be a slightly different shape (don't know if they are), then the facelift headlamps wouldn't fit.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/2017/02/updated-golf-more-for-less-from

Don't know about the bumper or tail lights.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for replies. Doesn't look easy but possible.

And if it is possible, expensive if you do have to replace the front wings as well to accommodate the headlamps, plus the cost of painting new body parts.

May also be more difficult to sell on when the time comes as it's likely to be viewed as neither a mk7 nor a mk7.5.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Just a thought, but they've re-positioned the ACC radar on the facelift model to the grill, so using the front bumper from a facelift on an older Mk7 could be rather expensive with mods to it or re-positioning the radar!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
That's a very good point Hobby55.

IMO just too much potential hassle and expense to try and make a mk7 look like a mk7.5.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
That's a very good point Hobby55.

IMO just too much potential hassle and expense to try and make a mk7 look like a mk7.5.

Exactly unless you are in the fortunate position of having money to burn!
I'd put the money towards a Mk8.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
People keep saying it is possible but yet to produce any evidence of it being done. Personally I think even if possible it will be the biggest waste of money ever, trying to make the car look like something it isn't and de valuing it at the same time.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Couldn't agree more Finglonga. If anyone with a mk7 wants their car to look like a mk7.5 facelift, then they should buy a mk7.5 facelift.

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
There are some merits to trying to update the look of the mk7 to the mk7.5 if you have a lot of time and money invested into the car (VIN linked engine tune & lots of tuner parts), or have a version of the car no longer available (2 Door for instance).

I really like the 7.5 front bumper and own a heavily modified 2 Door... so I would consider the swap ??

D'oh! Didn't realize it was a U.K. Regional forum when I posted lol

I'm not familiar with the model limitations of the U.K. But here in the US the 2 door was only available for a couple of years and won't be manufactured at all in the 7.5

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Thing is it isn't just the lights, bumper and wings (Fenders) as the new Radar is incorporated into the VW badge. It will be a big parts list plus coding and aligning the radar.

In the UK a car with that much modification screams it has had a front end impact and selling it on will be a problem.

jimmyq

i have mine done from a company in west yorkshire facelift front and rear lights,cockpit clock and new facelift mib2/screen all retrofitted and working getting my car back in a few days will post some pics:) cant wait........