GOLFMKV

F**K ECS & Maxton Design!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Mines like that on both sides and I've only had it for 4-5 months, lol...but i knew the exact times it happened exiting steep driveway and steel parking lot. i knew of the possibility of it happening but also see it as extra protection to the factory bumper as id much rather scrape a 200 par than the factory bumper and paint. yes there are other brands that are MUCH stronger but for me aesthetically its the only splitter that doesn't look like an after thought MOD... its an easy fix btw, I've fixed mine from a curb hit and its the textured plastic. tape the backside to maintain the shape and they use plastic bondo to fill it in once its hardened sand it smooth and then paint it I'm sure a gloss black spray paint will blend easy with the smooth gloss you have. i used an eastwood black trim paint and it worked great for my textured finish.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
what does the wtty say? That does NOT look like a manufacturing defect which is a common wtty

^^props to AJ for hints on how to fix it!

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I had their v1 splitter on my gti. I liked it a lot. Handled all sorts of scraping and still looked mint.

I'm not sure what the op is complaining to ECS or maxton about. You wanted to get a free replacement to a part that got damaged after you installed it? Dude. It's a lip that sits max 5" off the fucking ground. It's not a matter of if it'll get damaged, but when and how it will get damaged. Did you really expect them to give you a free lip because you fucked up yours? Whether you damaged it or someone kicked it, that's not their issue at all. If anything you should commend them for even giving you a discount for another one.

It's always someone else's fault but yours = the age we live in. Holy fuck.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
The fact that ECS offered a discount is going above and beyond considering this has nothing due to a manufacturing defect typically covered under limited warranty. No need to make a big stink over it, it’s not the fault of either companies.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
what discount did they offer? ill show them pics of mine so i can order and second one for on hand, lol, when i ordered mine direct from Maxton they had an Instagram promotion and i paid 189 shipped from eu. (Ecs was on back order at the time)

to second what - Impulsive.CA - said, since im lowered too its always been a when and how for me, lol

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
And no one ever gives the Dutch Parts Spliiter any love.

I drove into a puddle that was deep and the lower half of the trim, part of the fender liner and splitter tore off.

To make matters worse I drove over the splitter and the part of the fender liner that was pulled out along with it.

Drove over it as in drove over it and it came out the back under the car... all 4 wheels.

I got a new mounting hardware kit from Dutch and a new OEM fender liner and it all bolted back up.

Its crazy durable.

That's...legit. Really legit. And from that picture the actual splitter doesn't look that bad, unless I'm blind.

You got me thinking actually.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^
It scarred up the front pretty noticeably.

Doesn't necessarily seem like the best feature that the splitter is so strong the bumper becomes the point of failure.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I've not used anything from Maxton, but I have a strict NO ECS policy. They won't even stand behind their own make products. I had issues with their dogbone insert and their hatch pop kit and they offered zero help on either. I was one of the first orders of their MK7 hatch pop kit when it came out and it was absolute shit. Rocketed the hatch open on my wife's 2015 and would bounce it 4-5 times violently, not at all smooth and soft like some of the videos of the same product on their website for any VW platform they've made it for. They wouldn't stand behind it at all and I had to fight with them for a month to get them to accept a return and get my money back.

I do have an ECS Schwaben oil extractor I got 3--4 years ago on eBay because they were having a $35 sale though.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Lol front lip + lowered and you're surprised it got damaged? That's not really Maxton's fault...my Maxton spoiler doesn't have chunks suddenly falling off because it's not getting scraped on driveways and dips

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
That's...legit. Really legit. And from that picture the actual splitter doesn't look that bad, unless I'm blind.

You got me thinking actually.

When new.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
^
It scarred up the front pretty noticeably.

Doesn't necessarily seem like the best feature that the splitter is so strong the bumper becomes the point of failure.

The front end dipped and the passenger side scraped and the lip of the concrete caught the splitter.

The splitter didn’t make things worse.

Its a solid piece, a flimsy splitter would have cracked.

Good thing is most normal hits below the splitter doesn’t cause damage, I have lots of scrapes on the bottom in normal use.

That deal with the water covered chug hole was a weird one.

I’ve never done anything like that in the 26 years Ive been driving.. no accidents.

Im about to fill and paint that area, that oopsie only cost me:

$55 for the fender liner
$19 for the splitter hardware package
~$75 for filler and touch-up paint

If I had a flimsy splitter it would be the above + $200-$250 for a new splitter. ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.