GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Winter Performance of Ferodo DS2500

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
With track season coming to an end soon, I have to make the decision on whether to switch back to the EBC YellowStuff or keep the Ferodo DS2500 on my front brakes. Anyone know how they perform in the extreme cold? It can get down to -30C in Toronto after wind chill on extreme cold days and I don't want to rear end anyone or anything.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I live in the Berkhsires and we had a very cold winter last year. While not quite -30 C we did have a number of days below -23C. Ferodo's were fine. I used to swap back to stock pads after track season, but tried the Ferodo's a few years ago and noticed very little difference. Now I use them year round.

Note: Ferodo's website states "Average friction coefficient of 0.42 over working temperature range of 20°-500°C" That is pad temps and I am guessing (zero hard data) that the pads very quickly get to at least 20 degrees in almost any weather. Still, YMMV.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Lol so dramatic. It's a performance semi-metallic pad, it'll do fine. The Ferodo's cost significantly more than regular street pads so I don't know why you wouldn't swap them after events.

Start wrenching on your car if you haven't already, will save $ towards more track days. Shouldn't take more than an hour to swap out the pads with basic tools.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
The Ferodo's cost significantly more than regular street pads so I don't know why you wouldn't swap them after events.

This. Might as use up $50 brake pads over the winter and not $200 pads. Also, if you get ceramic pads, your wheels won’t be full of dust when it’s too cold to clean your car if you care about that kind of thing.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Good points regarding price. The OP tracks his car. I also track my car (~10 days per non-Covid year) and my pad wear is purely a function of # of track days. I put on about 12K miles per year and winter pad wear is negligible compared to track usage. Makes no financial sense for me to change pads, especially if you add in the time of changing them.

So I guess it depends on # of track days vs. DD mileage.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I mean the Ferodo's are on the cheaper side being a trackable street pad. If I didn't do my own labor - probably wouldn't bother. But in any case it gives you a chance to inspect the brakes.

A quality track pad you probably wouldn't want to daily because of cost, noise and more heat required to be effective.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Good points regarding price. The OP tracks his car. I also track my car (~10 days per non-Covid year) and my pad wear is purely a function of # of track days. I put on about 12K miles per year and winter pad wear is negligible compared to track usage. Makes no financial sense for me to change pads, especially if you add in the time of changing them.

This. Might as use up $50 brake pads over the winter and not $200 pads. Also, if you get ceramic pads, your wheels won’t be full of dust when it’s too cold to clean your car if you care about that kind of thing.

Lol so dramatic. It's a performance semi-metallic pad, it'll do fine. The Ferodo's cost significantly more than regular street pads so I don't know why you wouldn't swap them after events.

Start wrenching on your car if you haven't already, will save $ towards more track days. Shouldn't take more than an hour to swap out the pads with basic tools.

They don't cost that me that much to run compared to EBC YellowStuff. I get replacements from FCP Euro after all since I make a trip to Buffalo annually pre-COVID. All I gotta pay is shipping and the annual price increase. Some might say the gas money and time isn't worth it but I just treat it as a day or weekend getaway.

I could downgrade to cheaper, OE alternative pads from FCP Euro for winter. The problem is that I don't have the time and skills (yet) to do so. And I gotta use up my EBC YellowStuff that still has tons of life left.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I live north of Toronto, track my car just like you, and have run semi-aggressive pads in the winter. I attempted to run my Endless MX72 in early winter a few years ago (just got lazy and didn't switch them out after my last day at TMP). By December I couldn't wait to get them off. Not because they didn't stop the car, but the rotor wear and noise. Not 100% sure about the DS2500's, but the MX72 is noisy as heck when they're not driven hard regularly, and consistently leave pad deposits on the rotors which causes vibration in the pedal (this is not an issue if you beat on them now and then and make sure there's a nice material transfer on the rotor). I ended up ordering a set of Endless Premium Compound for winter/daily duties and switch in the MX72 for track days. I give the rotors and pad surface a quick rub down with garnet paper each time I switch them, and drive for 2-300kms nice and easy so they settle in.

In short, you can drive on pads like the DS2500 in winter, but there might be annoying drawbacks.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
The DS2500 are my street pads, i will use the DS1.11 for the track
where u get those for the PP? The ds2500 are an amazing pad but always wanted to try the ds1.

The DTC 70 i run now are amazing

Navi

Autocross Champion
I've used DS2500 during multiple New York winters. They are fine. They don't even squeal that badly. They ARE cold when you pull out the driveway, though. Goes away quickly and it's not an issue if you know what you're doing.

Last edited:

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
I've used them in the winter too, they're fine. If you're worried...hit the brakes a few times for shits and giggles to warm the pads up...