GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extracting FEC codes

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Hi all,

If I wanted to get the FEC codes from my Composition Media system in prep for my MIB2 upgrade, how would I go about doing it?

If I long-press the menu button, I get the orange menu where I can check S/W versions etc but the green maintenance menu doesn't come up.

I've seen chatter around enabling that menu for the next 10 boots or so - I won't lie, I've absorbed a lot of information in a short space of time and some of it I'm still trying to make sense of. Is that only something you do with new units which have been hacked? Or is that something that you can/have to enable via VCDS, in which case can my OBD11 Pro do it, also?

While researching the parts for the upgrade, one of the retrofitters down south put the fear into me about getting my car back sans features. While I could probably do it the long way around, by using the 3-digit codes from the sticker in the manual, I'd rather just get the FECs and have them, ready to give to whoever does my CP removal after my new HU arrives this week...

Thanks!
Lewis

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
You need to enable developer mode to enter FEC/SWaP codes menu.

You can not extract codes from there (i mean full codes with signature). you can just check code number, date it was generated, VIN and VCRN for which its valid, and see if it’s valid.

Even if extracted, these codes will not work with new main unit. Codes are valid only on the unit with the right VCRN (Let’s call it main unit ID). New unit will have list of all supported codes (10 or 15 codes that can be installed) and whoever is going to install the device should also generate FECs for the new unit and its VCRN.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
You need to enable developer mode to enter FEC/SWaP codes menu.

You can not extract codes from there (i mean full codes with signature). you can just check code number, date it was generated, VIN and VCRN for which its valid, and see if it’s valid.

Even if extracted, these codes will not work with new main unit. Codes are valid only on the unit with the right VCRN (Let’s call it main unit ID). New unit will have list of all supported codes (10 or 15 codes that can be installed) and whoever is going to install the device should also generate FECs for the new unit and its VCRN.
Gotcha.

I just mean the codes for the features themselves. When it goes to have CP removed, I want to make sure it comes back with all the same features it had before it had the old unit removed - which was why I wanted them out of the car tonight.

I got the engineering menu up so I’ll take a look through that again tomorrow before I fit the new unit to it. Didn’t quite have time to dig into it, I did get the FeC menu though and there were only two listed - 003000 and 002000 - I was expecting at least one or two more, I won’t lie!