GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extended Warranty Questions

Demoic

Car(s)
2020 GTI
So does anyone have anyone to recommend a cheap price from? Best i got was 1620 on the platinum 84 month 85k miles with 0 deductible. Not sure I'm interested at this point. Just coming from cheap Japanese cars to fix.

Last edited:

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
I'm just throwing this out there that I think the only major problem anyone I know has ever had on a vehicle that would have been covered by an extended warranty was rusted and leaking fuel lines, which was only around $500 to fix. This was in a Pontiac G5 with 110k kms, so typical GM in a snowy area. Other than that everything has been normal wear items; brakes, old spark plugs causing a CEL, etc. and likely not covered.

Are suspension items typically covered? I could see that being useful if a strut decides to leak after a large impact or something.

I think the problem with extended warranties, to me, is that the coverage doesn't stretch long enough. You're most likely never going to use it in 84 months or by 85k miles. It's after 100k miles where age starts to get to everything that's plastic or rubber.

Last edited:

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I'm just throwing this out there that I think the only major problem anyone I know has ever had on a vehicle that would have been covered by an extended warranty was rusted and leaking fuel lines, which was only around $500 to fix. This was in a Pontiac G5 with 110k kms, so typical GM in a snowy area. Other than that everything has been normal wear items; brakes, old spark plugs causing a CEL, etc. and likely not covered.

Are suspension items typically covered? I could see that being useful if a strut decides to leak after a large impact or something.

I think the problem with extended warranties, to me, is that the coverage doesn't stretch long enough. You're most likely never going to use it in 84 months or by 85k miles. It's after 100k miles where age starts to get to everything that's plastic or rubber.
This is the problem with most extended warranties. If you don't read the fine line, you'll not realize that the only things they usually cover are things that rarely break. Make sure you read the fine print of what it covers.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
Why buy the extension now? Wait until your existing warranty is close to ending then shop around. You might find that your car has been rock solid and/or you want to tune it and/or you're in a better place financially.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Why buy the extension now? Wait until your existing warranty is close to ending then shop around. You might find that your car has been rock solid and/or you want to tune it and/or you're in a better place financially.

The catch is that it may cost more at that point rather than at time of purchase. It's not a bad idea in the slightest for sure, though.