GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extended Warranty Questions

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Some cars are fun/cool, but not reliable. Like a $40k Aston Martin out of warranty or a cool out of warranty AMG.

We all bought VW's and they aren't exactly known for their reliability.
Well it's not like you're reaping a benefit by paying co-pays for repairs and having to find a way to get around when your car is broken down.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
OP,

if you can afford a repair skip the wtty, if it will hurt get it.

Mud

3 1/2 yrs 36K miles rock solid

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
No but you can get Porches, AMG's, M's, Range Rovers, S's and RS's, cars that are notorious for having high repair costs and then tack on a 6 year b2b warranty for like another $3k wrapped into the loan.
It was like a flat rate. They didn't care what car it was. But then they actually started taking a look into things like this and now it depends on the car...
Warranty prices more than doubled in most cases.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well it's not like you're reaping a benefit by paying co-pays for repairs and having to find a way to get around when your car is broken down.

Depends on how expensive those repairs are.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Salesman: "Can I interest you in an extended warranty?"

Me: "Well I plan on tuning this thing, putting it on air ride, painting it a new col-"

Salesman: "Okay never mind."

Usually how the conversation goes.

I did, however, get the extended wheel and tire protection plan. They told me that it covers any wheels and tires that are on the vehicle, not just OEM ones.

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Salesman: "Can I interest you in an extended warranty?"

Me: "Well I plan on tuning this thing, putting it on air ride, painting it a new col-"

Salesman: "Okay never mind."

Usually how the conversation goes.

I did, however, get the extended wheel and tire protection plan. They told me that it covers any wheels and tires that are on the vehicle, not just OEM ones.

So I wonder what happens exactly when they think they are going to replace a $300 Austin with stock all seasons, but you have some BBS LM's with some flavor of Pilot Sports...
I'd be careful with that...

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
So I wonder what happens exactly when they think they are going to replace a $300 Austin with stock all seasons, but you have a BBS LM's with some flavor of Pilot Sports...
I'd be careful with that...

I asked that specific thing actually. I said “So when I have $5000 BBS wheels on here, they’ll be replaced with $5000 BBS wheels?” and they assured me they would be. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I asked that specific thing actually. I said “So when I have $5000 BBS wheels on here, they’ll be replaced with $5000 BBS wheels?” and they assured me they would be. 🤷🏼‍♂️

They'll assure you anything to get you to sign the warranty.

"Anytime I pick my car up from a warranty service, it'll have a hot big titty blonde in the passenger seat, right?"

"Oh, absolutely! That's standard for all the warranty repair work!"

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn

"Anytime I pick my car up from a warranty service, it'll have a hot big titty blonde in the passenger seat, right?"

Like I said, I'm not really worried about them replacing $5k BBS wheels. My buddy has the same wheel and tire warranty on his GTI and has used it a couple times. Once he ran over a nail and they replaced both front tires for the $50 deductible. Another time he crushed a pot hole and bent the front passenger wheel and they replaced it and both front tires for the same $50 deductible. Seems worth it especially since I'll be running the stock wheels during winter which is when pothole damage occurs most.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I could see something like that potentially being worthwhile if you live in a place with shit roads.
When I lived in NYC, man did I feel bad for my work car (I did not own a car while there).
Luckily in Florida, at least where I'm at, the roads are good. It's just the drivers that are shit lol.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I get that from my dealer already. Except it's a dirty tech with back hair, so pretty close.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I hate warranty conversations. I remember when dealing to purchase my mk6 GTI new, I first dealt with the loan rep. and we went back and forth for like 45 minutes to get the payment down to what I wanted. So I'm like, cool, we're all set and locked in. THEN they sent me to go into the office of the warranty reps. that push down the warranty hard on you. I remember sitting down and the guy is showing me all these plans that would increase my payment like 60+. I told the guy, listen, I just dealt with the last guy for 45 minutes to get my payment down to what I wanted and now you want to increase it? Put me down as declined for everything, thanks. Obviously he wasn't happy but dropped the pen down for me to sign that I waivered everything, lol.

Sure it was risky but I never had one issue that the warranty would of helped while I owned the car for 7 years.