GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extended warranty deal?

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Howdy, I just picked up my new Autobahn yesterday. I am stoked.

So, they offered me an extension. They offered the Protection Plus which is the best available here in Canada for $1500 US. This is for 10 years with a maximum mileage of 50,000 miles. I don't drive that much so my mileage will be about this.

Deal?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
There is nothing on these cars that scare me financially.

I’d pass.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Have you gone through the terms and conditions to understand who provides this policy, how different is it from OEM warranty and what are the exclusions. One cannot judge the deal without getting all this info.

The Tortoise

That doesn't sound right. The regular warranty is 4 years 80k km (50k miles). When I was looking the extended warranty took you to 10 years and 160k km (or close to that).

I turned it down because a) they were asking a lot more and b) I was buying a new TDI that came with the emissions warranty.

For $1500 it might be worth it if it's 10 years 160k km. As written in the OP, hell no.

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
I would wait until close to the end of your mfg warranty to buy an extended warranty
No point in paying for an extended warranty that won't be in effect

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
That doesn't sound right. The regular warranty is 4 years 80k km (50k miles). When I was looking the extended warranty took you to 10 years and 160k km (or close to that).

I turned it down because a) they were asking a lot more and b) I was buying a new TDI that came with the emissions warranty.

For $1500 it might be worth it if it's 10 years 160k km. As written in the OP, hell no.

As I understand it, it is 80K (50000 miles) or ten years whichever is earlier, above the new car warranty.

Much is covered. DSG clutch plates not included. LSD not included either. Not sure if OEM, but this is Volkswagens plan here in Canada.

adam1991

Banned
I'd bet a dollar that NONE of the infotainment electronics are covered.

And if anything, those are what will die on you.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
I'd bet a dollar that NONE of the infotainment electronics are covered.

And if anything, those are what will die on you.

Yes, it appears you are correct. Although, in the small print it appears you can get an option to cover what they call a Multi media software package.

Thanks.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
+1. You also don't have to buy the extended warranty from your dealership. Many will work with you online for a much lower rate.

Keep in mind, even if you don't utilize it, it starts bleeding money from day one. (If you buy a 100k warranty, and cancel it after 10k, they'll take out a chunk of the money.).

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
+1. You also don't have to buy the extended warranty from your dealership. Many will work with you online for a much lower rate.

Keep in mind, even if you don't utilize it, it starts bleeding money from day one. (If you buy a 100k warranty, and cancel it after 10k, they'll take out a chunk of the money.).

Also most credit unions sell warranties.

The dealer where I bought my used N54 335i had a 4/48k mile warranty for $4,200. I went to my CU and picked up a 4/48 with better coverage and no deductible for $2,200.

Ended up with $5,500 in repairs that the warranty paid for.

Again, as I stated before a warranty IMO is unnecessary on these cars.

You have a 2.0T corporate motor (100k+ units) with a simple FWD architecture.

These cars are really simple and cheap to fix if you’re smart and use a good indie shop.

Nothing on this car will bankrupt me, that’s what insurance is for.

Stick the $1,500 in AAPL stock and in 10 years you will probably have $6k.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
There is nothing on these cars that scare me financially.

I’d pass.

^^^This^^^

Additionally, there are way too many things for them to deny a warranty claim on my vehicle. Heck, if I could save money by not having a warranty upfront I would have.

Now for those who are not mechanically inclined and do not modify their vehicle then I could see an extended warranty being helpful.

adam1991

Banned
Heck, if I could save money by not having a warranty upfront I would have.

Look at many things you buy, especially when they scream about their warranty. Take a good look, and realize the warranty isn't worth a bucket of spit.

Then ask them if they'll sell whatever it is to you without any warranty, at a discount.

Usually in consumer goods (but not always), the new product factory warranty is used as a selling incentive to people who don't know any better and who think it actually means something.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Extended warranty deal is a double negative

I had similar impressions before coming across extended warranties from other OEMs. Some of those (not VW) are fully backed by OEMs and it does make a lot of sense in the long run.