swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I saw in my USPS Informed Delivery email this morning that I have a VW letter with "Important Warranty Extension Notice" on the envelope. Assuming it will be this.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What MY’s does it cover?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
But what the crap does this mysterious pump do?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
pumps fuel from the driver side of the saddle tank to the passenger side
Thanks! Love to learn….I take it’s not imperative to run out and do

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I got one for my MY17
My 2017 is not eligible, I just checked the vin.

EDIT: Psych! My letter is in the mail according to USPS delivery digest. I guess VW's site isn't up to date with this new recall.

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I recently experienced suction pump failure, which led to fuel backing up into the charcoal canister and leaking out from the rear passenger wheel well. I also could not add gas.

Dealer wanted to replace my entire tank at my expense until I called corporate and discovered this warranty extension last month. I documented my issue and experience in a different thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...oline-leak-problem.367363/page-6#post-7890355

I got the suction pump, charcoal canister, and N80 valve replaced at no charge thanks to the warranty extension - saved me about $1400! My car is a 2015 and has 137k miles for reference.

Last edited:

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Got my letter, too, for my 2019 GSW. Seems like this should be a recall instead of an "extended warranty" to replace a cheap failure-prone part that can leave the car unusable, or worse yet, with gas pouring out of it. But anyway.

Has the part been redesigned, or are the failures purported to be from a manufacturing defect?

Is there a way to temporarily work around the failure when it prevents filling the tank, or is the only recourse to replace the part? It's cheap enough that I'd consider preemptive replacement, though spelunking in the gas tank isn't fun.