GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Expanding Strut Tower Hole for Camber Adjustment

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Hey guys,

I want to expand the top of the strut tower to access my camber plates on my coilovers - do I have to fully remove the front coilovers to do that? Or is it possible to drop them by removing the bolts and then jacking my car up? Would appreciate any knowledge. Thanks!

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I opened my strut towers to 2.5” using a conduit punch when I installed my coil overs. Unfortunately, I still can’t access the camber plate adjustment bolts. Right now I’m working in a jig to align a hole saw to open it up further. I’m hoping to do this with the struts in the car, but not sure how well that will work out. Work is crazy so it may take me some time to complete this. I’ll follow up with any results.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Yeah I’ve seen that. There’s another jig available too. I’m building something similar but won’t commit unless I’m sure all the bolts can be accessed.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
So I'm going to see if I can lower the strut enough to get the CJM industries jig in there to drill them out to 2.5". Will update.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I’m opened to 2.5” and its enough to allow the strut nut to move inward for more camber but not enough to gain access to the adjustment bolts. At least that’s the case for my IE camber plates.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah I used a punch on both my GTI and Tiguan, on camber plates from the fortune,raceland,bagrider plates - I can access the hardware with a ball head Allen but you cannot max them out as a couple bolts get hidden at that point. I think the 3” cuts will be perfect for full access.

90D8C79B-1E9C-41D9-87D5-DA557D8F70A2.jpeg
7934D72F-DD96-46AB-A970-F6CA3AA942FE.jpeg
C1D94607-D6BF-4526-9A10-AA9B36226E18.jpeg

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I cobbled together a rudimentary drill jig made from 3” ABS pipe fitting and a PVC sheet. Hole saw fits decently. Not sure when I can open it up more but will share the results.

Attachments

• 1923584A-29FC-4F2E-9CD5-5D9A9E3D69E8.jpeg
    1923584A-29FC-4F2E-9CD5-5D9A9E3D69E8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
  • 920256F4-968F-41FB-B553-0B2082BD032A.jpeg
    920256F4-968F-41FB-B553-0B2082BD032A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82

Jmitchell4873

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Anyone that’s opened their strut towers to the three inch mark have any issues after a couple years of use?

I'll be installing my coilovers this weekend and would really like to have access to the camber plates so I can make adjustments quickly.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Didn't have any problems before I sold the car, about a year later.

RS_MacD

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone that’s opened their strut towers to the three inch mark have any issues after a couple years of use?

I'll be installing my coilovers this weekend and would really like to have access to the camber plates so I can make adjustments quickly.

I just cut mine to 3" and I'm terrified of having an issue!
Bought a strut brace just in case...

Jmitchell4873

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
I just cut mine to 3" and I'm terrified of having an issue!
Bought a strut brace just in case...
I cut mine and added a strut brace too. If I ever do it again, I’ll buy a 3 inch knockout instead of cutting it with a hole saw.