GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust without DSG Farts

iamonthatloud

Picking up a new 2019 R and going to be modding right away, but really hate the DSG farts most exhausts on youtube seem to present. Is there anyway to avoid that all together with any cat backs out there? The stock exhaust is too quiet, but it seems like most aftermarkets are too loud, any middle ground?

Thanks everyone :) Appreciate taking your time to read!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
You cannot stop DSG farts because of the way and reason they happen! Not an expert by any means with exhaust setups, but most aftermarket ones for the R you hear online will be non resonated and will be running with the flaps always open, not sure of your location but the new R’s in europe at least have a particulate filter which makes them quieter anyway.

iamonthatloud

You cannot stop DSG farts because of the way and reason they happen! Not an expert by any means with exhaust setups, but most aftermarket ones for the R you hear online will be non resonated and will be running with the flaps always open, not sure of your location but the new R’s in europe at least have a particulate filter which makes them quieter anyway.

Thanks so much! I am in the US, but will probably leave the stock exhaust as i really cannot stand those farts lol

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
The DSG farts aren't really a function of the exhaust, an aftermarket exhaust just amplifies them. Its due to engine management during gear changes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The DSG farts aren't really a function of the exhaust, an aftermarket exhaust just amplifies them. Its due to engine management during gear changes.

I guess you could call it engine management. It's unburned gasoline igniting when it hits the hot exhaust.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I guess you could call it engine management. It's unburned gasoline igniting when it hits the hot exhaust.
DSG farts are from the ECU cutting ignition during a shift, which does shoot unburnt out of the engine. It is a function of the ECU.

DAP just did a video on it:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
If really that big of a deal I'd reach out to EQT and see if they can tune the farts out as I'd be surprised if some good tuner like Ed at EQT can't just eliminate that with some tuning

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The quietest exhaust (probably just stock) is the best you're going to do. I don't think you or any tuner would want to tune out the method our cars use to shift correctly just so you can avoid a bit of noise.

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you want a touch more sound but not fully aftermarket, do a res delete. It improves sound just enough but the DSG pops aren't obnoxious. I also did a custom e-tune and specified that I wanted performance over pops/bangs. Loving it!!!