GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust tone/power change at 3,000 RPM

Hatcher

Ready to race!
What about buying an AWE Switch Remote or other valve remotes to keep the exhaust valves closed after +3000rpm??

I have a switch path remote. keeping the EXHAUST valves open or closed has no effect on the boom around 3K. The closed exhaust valves might help tamp it down a bit, but it's still very much there

afive6troll

I used an OBDELEVEN and kept the valves open on the exhaust. OBDELEVEN are cheap and you can do other tweaks, check the forums on the site. Trunk open on remote, Open windows on remote, passenger side mirror lower when in reverse..

2017 VW GOLF R w/ APR Stage 2 HT / APR Downpipe / Southbend Daily Clutch / BFI Engine, Trans, Dogbone Mounts / APR Pendulum Mount

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
What about buying an AWE Switch Remote or other valve remotes to keep the exhaust valves closed after +3000rpm??

Thats what I did & removed the obnoxious drone past 3k. Also in the mornings too..cold start opens the valves up.

AWE is the only solution for noise on the demand.

Should of came from factory stock lol

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a switch path remote. keeping the EXHAUST valves open or closed has no effect on the boom around 3K. The closed exhaust valves might help tamp it down a bit, but it's still very much there

I disagree with you...on my valved milltek exhaust there is a notable difference with the valves open vs closed cruising 80+.

IF you are straight-piped, you knew what you were getting into especially if you swapped out the cat back. Youll need a vibrant resonator

To me the AWE is the right solution for my needs.

Also like to note that APR is not like AWE. AWE lets you have full control over it.

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
Also like to note that APR is not like AWE. AWE lets you have full control over it.

Sort of... AWE is either open or closed. APR is either open or OEM function.

What we really need is a mix of both... Open, OEM function, closed.

Am I getting too greedy here? :p

but serious. I can't justify buying either one, because I think there's a drawback to both. If there was one on the market that had all three functions, I'd likely splurge.

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
Sort of... AWE is either open or closed. APR is either open or OEM function.

What we really need is a mix of both... Open, OEM function, closed.

Am I getting too greedy here? :p

but serious. I can't justify buying either one, because I think there's a drawback to both. If there was one on the market that had all three functions, I'd likely splurge.

Thats why I did not get APR, I purposely got it to keep the valves closed while cruising long distances & not waking up the neighbors. I love the fact that I can open them up on the fly. Sounds amazing around town. Oem kept them closed till after 3k rpms.

Apr keeps them open but once off it behaves like oem which was a no go for me.

I get what you are saying, a more custom way of adjusting the valves like a map features from jb4.

Besides I got a deal on the AWE that I couldnt refuse lol
Works amazing with the Milltek I have :D

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
I get what you are saying, a more custom way of adjusting the valves like a map features from jb4.

Now that would just be a bit too cool.

I'd just want an AWE/APR type remote, just with three buttons instead of two. I don't mind the OEM function for most situations. But occasionally I want it loud. And occasionally I want it quiet. I've just been living with OEM function... but the 3K rpm increase in noise even in comfort mode is a bit more noticeable now that I did the resonator delete.

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
Now that would just be a bit too cool.

I'd just want an AWE/APR type remote, just with three buttons instead of two. I don't mind the OEM function for most situations. But occasionally I want it loud. And occasionally I want it quiet. I've just been living with OEM function... but the 3K rpm increase in noise even in comfort mode is a bit more noticeable now that I did the resonator delete.

I have a Milltek non res catback & had the secondary cat removed.
Have the stock dp bc of warranty till the car goes out lol.

But Yeah the mk7 oem valve system is odd, it opens up regardless in you are comfort or normal & in the mornings too with the cold start...
If I recall correct one of the previous gen Rs were controlled by how hard you press the pedal, wish we had that instead lol

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
If you guys want a really good explanation of just how this works check this out...

https://youtu.be/I5dy2Vnf95w

Yes sir, lol I know this all to well:D
Why do you think it correlates with the opening exhaust valve control from the cat back?

You see when you change out the oem exhaust, dp, etc; things become noisier bc the restriction is gone but some people like myself still kept the stock oem valve modules on.

So to recap of what Ive been saying (I did not want to go into details) but this time I will in that the variable exhaust valve lift system is understood to be based on the "Audi Valve Lift System" whereby the camshaft had two valve lift contours for each exhaust valve (small and large). In this system, change-over between the cam lobe contours was achieved by the longitudinal displacement of the cam elements via electromagnetic solenoid-type actuators. One actuator moved the cam element on the camshaft for large valve lift, while the other actuator reset the cam element for small valve lift.

SO...At low engine speeds (up to around ~3100 rpm), the small profile cam lobe contour was used to:
-Provide late exhaust valve opening;
-Prevent the back-flow of exhaust gas during the valve overlap phase; and,
Enable advanced intake valve timing.

Specifically, the positive cylinder pressure gradient allowed the combustion chamber to be effectively purged – this enhanced fuel/air mixture formation by reducing the residual gas content in the cylinder and enabled advanced intake valve timing since less intake air was expelled after BDC (bottom dead centre). As a result, greater torque was produced at low engine speeds and charge pressure could be accumulated faster.

So At high engine speeds, the large profile cam lobe contour was used which enables the stock oem valve modules of the catback to open up thus making it drone, noise whatever you want to call it which cruising above 77mph.

Note: The intake camshaft could be continuously adjusted over a range of 30 degrees relative to the crankshaft, while the exhaust camshaft could be adjusted over a range of 60 degrees.

Lastly here's a video I found of what the manual switch remote we are talking about.

To me it really works well & enjoy not waking up the neighbors in the morning lol and not having droning at highway cruising:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTw7A5NnhNA