GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust suggestions? CSS vs. Borla?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I spent 3 months of my time trying to figure out the exhaust situation for this car. I wanted it to be loud when on the gas, quiet (but still sound aftermarket) when cruising around, and no drone whatsoever. I also only wanted it to be loud outside the car, keeping the inside a nice resonable level. Here are my findings:

- Downpipe with stock catback: had a bit more volume, but the quality of the sound was poor. There was also a small amount of drone, and I wanted more volume and a deeper note. This just sounded kinda raspy and tractory.

- Downpipe with res replacment (vibrant) and stock catback: sound was deepened slightly, but the volume wasnt there. It was louder than stock, but not as loud as I wanted it to be when really getting on it.

- Downpipe with Rev9 Catback ($350): sound was extremely deep and bassy, would have been perfect except for the insane drone. Literally shake the car apart levels of drone. Even with a vibrant resonator, it droned to hell and back. Pretty much undrivable. My theory is the mufflers in that system lower the exhaust note and absorb so much sound that the resulting tone is just a shit ton of drone frequencies.

- Downpipe with Borla S Type: Extremely ungodly loud and sounds like absolute trash. It sounded like an echoey broken tractor with a shit ton of rasp, and when on the gas it sounded like some freshman highschool band full of kids blowing their lungs out into a bunch of untuned trombones. Do not do this. The weird thing is there was no drone whatsoever, so I persued this system more to see how to clean up the sound.

- Final setup: Downpipe with Vibrant resonator (not ultra quiet) leading to Borla S Type catback: This is the holy trinity of exhausts for my personal taste. When cruising, its quiet (in the cabin you would never know theres an exhaust system installed) and there is no drone at all. Zero. When getting on the gas, it wakes up and sounds extremely good. The tone is deep, grumbly, and aggressive sounding. In the car it never gets LOUD, it just sounds very sporty and you can definitely hear your exhaust coming from the rear of the car. On the outside, its loud enough when punching the gas that tunnels and overpasses will echo with your exhaust note and any DSG farts you have. When taking off from a light or drag racing, it sounds like a wet dream.

This general setup of downpipe -> vibrant res -> straightpiped catback with a single muffler chamber pre-rear axle seems to be the best setup for a drone free aggressive exhaust. GTI Jake, APR, AWE, Borla, and Magnaflow all follow this general design and I have heard great things about all of them when the vibrant res is incorporated.

A few notes: I would start with just a downpipe and work your way up from there. When I did just the downpipe i was happy for 2 years till I decided I wanted more volume. Then when I got the catback, it was like christmas morning all over again. I also am not tuned (yet, its in the mail) but I did run a downpipe untuned for 2 years. I didn't have the desire to jump straight into tuning as I just bought the car and I wanted to enjoy the stock power for as long as possible so when I do tune it really makes me feel like I am in a whole new car.

I will be posting in-cabin, driveby, tunnel, and takeoff audio clips of my current exhaust setup in the coming weeks.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
This is my daily driver too (44,000 miles in two years) and I've been Stage 2 for 31,000 miles now :)

I don't have any sound clips - I simply have the APR DP paired with the stock exhaust, tons of videos of it if you search.

Damn, you didn't even wait for warranty to expire! You're braver than I am! I know a lot of people run tunes and are good, but I have the type of luck that would get a tune and something breaks :ROFLMAO: wait...:cry:...not funny actually. I was literally mind @#$@!#$ getting the cat-back cause i thought something would get jacked up.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I spent 3 months of my time trying to figure out the exhaust situation for this car. I wanted it to be loud when on the gas, quiet (but still sound aftermarket) when cruising around, and no drone whatsoever. I also only wanted it to be loud outside the car, keeping the inside a nice resonable level. Here are my findings:

- Downpipe with stock catback: had a bit more volume, but the quality of the sound was poor. There was also a small amount of drone, and I wanted more volume and a deeper note. This just sounded kinda raspy and tractory.

- Downpipe with res replacment (vibrant) and stock catback: sound was deepened slightly, but the volume wasnt there. It was louder than stock, but not as loud as I wanted it to be when really getting on it.

- Downpipe with Rev9 Catback ($350): sound was extremely deep and bassy, would have been perfect except for the insane drone. Literally shake the car apart levels of drone. Even with a vibrant resonator, it droned to hell and back. Pretty much undrivable. My theory is the mufflers in that system lower the exhaust note and absorb so much sound that the resulting tone is just a shit ton of drone frequencies.

- Downpipe with Borla S Type: Extremely ungodly loud and sounds like absolute trash. It sounded like an echoey broken tractor with a shit ton of rasp, and when on the gas it sounded like some freshman highschool band full of kids blowing their lungs out into a bunch of untuned trombones. Do not do this. The weird thing is there was no drone whatsoever, so I persued this system more to see how to clean up the sound.

- Final setup: Downpipe with Vibrant resonator (not ultra quiet) leading to Borla S Type catback: This is the holy trinity of exhausts for my personal taste. When cruising, its quiet (in the cabin you would never know theres an exhaust system installed) and there is no drone at all. Zero. When getting on the gas, it wakes up and sounds extremely good. The tone is deep, grumbly, and aggressive sounding. In the car it never gets LOUD, it just sounds very sporty and you can definitely hear your exhaust coming from the rear of the car. On the outside, its loud enough when punching the gas that tunnels and overpasses will echo with your exhaust note and any DSG farts you have. When taking off from a light or drag racing, it sounds like a wet dream.

This general setup of downpipe -> vibrant res -> straightpiped catback with a single muffler chamber pre-rear axle seems to be the best setup for a drone free aggressive exhaust. GTI Jake, APR, AWE, Borla, and Magnaflow all follow this general design and I have heard great things about all of them when the vibrant res is incorporated.

A few notes: I would start with just a downpipe and work your way up from there. When I did just the downpipe i was happy for 2 years till I decided I wanted more volume. Then when I got the catback, it was like christmas morning all over again. I also am not tuned (yet, its in the mail) but I did run a downpipe untuned for 2 years. I didn't have the desire to jump straight into tuning as I just bought the car and I wanted to enjoy the stock power for as long as possible so when I do tune it really makes me feel like I am in a whole new car.

I will be posting in-cabin, driveby, tunnel, and takeoff audio clips of my current exhaust setup in the coming weeks.

I'm really interested to hear how it sounds! Not doing a downpipe anytime soon, but it's always good to see how all these mods make this car my best decision this year! :D

Question about the the vibrant resonator...did you have to weld it or did you clamp it to the rest of the your system? Also, what DP do you have?

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I have the stock DP and started with the CSS muffler. It was a very minor upgrade in tone and volume. I changed to a resonated Remus catback and the tone was good but it was as quiet as stock. I deleted the Remus resonator and got more volume but also minor drone. I resolved most of the drone by adding sound deadening in the spare tire area. I want to try a Vibrant resonator someday to see if it will give me the volume I want without the drone.

TLDR even with stock DP I would look into a resonated catback. Decide if you want a Vibrant resonator or one that comes with the catback.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Supermoto - what DP do you have?

Thanks!
I am running a $90 Rev9 downpipe from ebay, however for anyone looking for a downpipe I would highly recommend getting the Megan Racing downpipe. Quality and fitment is great, larger flex section to prevent cracking and fatigue, and the price is unbeatable for a 3 inch downpipe.

I'm really interested to hear how it sounds! Not doing a downpipe anytime soon, but it's always good to see how all these mods make this car my best decision this year! :D

Question about the the vibrant resonator...did you have to weld it or did you clamp it to the rest of the your system? Also, what DP do you have?
Any reason for avoiding the downpipe? It will net you 10-20hp without tuning, is easier to install, and long term you will probably go with one anyway ;)

I have the entire system clamped together right now, including the Vibrant res. I do have some small exhaust leaks though and will be having the entire system welded in the future.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Any reason for avoiding the downpipe? It will net you 10-20hp without tuning, is easier to install, and long term you will probably go with one anyway ;)

I have the entire system clamped together right now, including the Vibrant res. I do have some small exhaust leaks though and will be having the entire system welded in the future.

Well, worried about throwing errors and possibly screwing something up. I'm not educated enough when it comes to getting the right downpipe, o2 spacer if needed without a tune, etc. Worried if something gets jacked and I have to take it in and needs warranty work, they'll give me $h1t for it.

In my research, I found this:
https://tmwperformance.com/blogs/news/stage-2-downpipes-and-nys-inspection-explained

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've read on these forums about that and is probably why I may just stick with the cat-back and go Stage 1 93 octane. This is my daily driver and going Stage 2 might not be something I want down the road. I would get a catted DP and install a resonator to the mix, "if" I go down that rabbit hole. Either way, I'd expect drone with a DP. I still have my stock exhaust mounted to my garage wall just in case.

Do you have any sound clips of your set up?

Does your garage wall drone? 😂

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Well, worried about throwing errors and possibly screwing something up. I'm not educated enough when it comes to getting the right downpipe, o2 spacer if needed without a tune, etc. Worried if something gets jacked and I have to take it in and needs warranty work, they'll give me $h1t for it.

In my research, I found this:
https://tmwperformance.com/blogs/news/stage-2-downpipes-and-nys-inspection-explained
it would be hard to screw anything up installing a downpipe. If you get a downpipe with a Vibrant J spacer, middle insert, it wont throw a CEL. Id go with the megan racing downpipe + vibrant J spacer. None of my local dealers care about having a downpipe installed, however being tuned is another story. Plus, if you ever need to take it in and are paranoid you can easily throw the stock downpipe back on. A downpipe is easily the best bang for your buck mod I have done as far as sound and performance go.

However if you still are certain you do not want to throw in a downpipe, the Borla system I am running sounds great even with the stock downpipe. The stock downpipe muffles a huge portion of the exhaust note though.

D-GTI

If you're taking suggestions, I love my Neuspeed. It has just the right volume/tone I was looking for; it's reserved off throttle but a good increase from stock on throttle. Sounds great through the whole rev range and no drone on the highway. Also, fit and finish was spectacular and everything bolted on with no adjustment needed.

This sound clip is pretty on point:
Neuspeed

Good luck on your search! Hope you find the sound you're looking for!