GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust suggestions? CSS vs. Borla?

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
Tossed between exhaust options. New to the GTI scene, one of the first mods I’d like is to do an exhaust. This is my DD, and I have about a 25 mile highway stretch so I’m not looking at anything that drones too much. Might keep the stock DP for now.

Looking for some crackles/pops between shifts, and downshifts and adding a little deeper and louder tone.

From what I’ve seen, CSS muffler is a good option as well as the Borla type S (140597). Also want some bigger tips for the look.

Any suggestions/tips? Thanks

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
There's a huge exhaust thread in here somewhere. But if it's bang for your buck you're looking for, you need a tune. Id go tune and have a shop cut out the suitcase bit of the stock exhaust.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Tossed between exhaust options. New to the GTI scene, one of the first mods I’d like is to do an exhaust. This is my DD, and I have about a 25 mile highway stretch so I’m not looking at anything that drones too much. Might keep the stock DP for now.

Looking for some crackles/pops between shifts, and downshifts and adding a little deeper and louder tone.

From what I’ve seen, CSS muffler is a good option as well as the Borla type S (140597). Also want some bigger tips for the look.

Any suggestions/tips? Thanks

I have under 3000 miles on my GTI. Didn't want to get a tune yet but wanted a better tone, so I went with the Borla S Type. Installed it right before the holiday weekend. Sounds deeper, sportier and you get burbles when letting off the gas.

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
I have under 3000 miles on my GTI. Didn't want to get a tune yet but wanted a better tone, so I went with the Borla S Type. Installed it right before the holiday weekend. Sounds deeper, sportier and you get burbles when letting off the gas.

Did you go with the 2.5” or 3”?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
I have the TCR muffler which is essentially the same as the CSS. I do wish it was just a little bit louder as Im not planning on doing a downpipe any time soon.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Is that part number 140750 from Borla? Think this is going to be what I go with
The part number I have is 140751 since I have a 2020. But judging from your info, the 140750 will be the right part for you. They are both S Type so basically the same, just fitted to our models. I also opted out of getting a resonator for more sound.
Added a sound clip from my set up. Full stock, replaced air filter with afe dry filter and removed snow guard.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The part number I have is 140751 since I have a 2020. But judging from your info, the 140750 will be the right part for you. They are both S Type so basically the same, just fitted to our models. I also opted out of getting a resonator for more sound.
Added a sound clip from my set up. Full stock, replaced air filter with afe dry filter and removed snow guard.

Must have been pretty cold outside when you recorded that it took a long time for the idle to drop to normal.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Must have been pretty cold outside when you recorded that it took a long time for the idle to drop to normal.
It wasn't cold at all. I thought the same thing, that it took a really long time to warm up. I just had installed it the day prior to recording the clip, but haven't driven the car for a few days. Seems to be ok now.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Is there any drone with the setup? Like you, I have a highway commute so haven't pulled the trigger on anything as I worry about being annoyed by something like that...

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Is there any drone with the setup? Like you, I have a highway commute so haven't pulled the trigger on anything as I worry about being annoyed by something like that...

I've driven on the highway once since the install (working from home), but I drove an hour out to my brother in law's this past weekend. To me, there is a little drone, but nothing more than you would hear with Soundaktor on. It's not constant and it didn't bother me at all. My 7 yr old was in the car with me and not once did he complain.

I will try to capture some in car audio soon and share it with you guys.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Just a word of caution... If you plan on going Stage 2 with your car, an upgraded downpipe will alter the way your exhaust (stock or aftermarket) sounds pretty drastically. If I ended up installing the exhaust I initially wanted to get prior to having my APR downpipe installed, I'd be ripping it out and trying to sell it because of how awful the drone is with the two paired together.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Just a word of caution... If you plan on going Stage 2 with your car, an upgraded downpipe will alter the way your exhaust (stock or aftermarket) sounds pretty drastically. If I ended up installing the exhaust I initially wanted to get prior to having my APR downpipe installed, I'd be ripping it out and trying to sell it because of how awful the drone is with the two paired together.

I've read on these forums about that and is probably why I may just stick with the cat-back and go Stage 1 93 octane. This is my daily driver and going Stage 2 might not be something I want down the road. I would get a catted DP and install a resonator to the mix, "if" I go down that rabbit hole. Either way, I'd expect drone with a DP. I still have my stock exhaust mounted to my garage wall just in case.

Do you have any sound clips of your set up?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I've read on these forums about that and is probably why I may just stick with the cat-back and go Stage 1 93 octane. This is my daily driver and going Stage 2 might not be something I want down the road. I would get a catted DP and install a resonator to the mix, "if" I go down that rabbit hole. Either way, I'd expect drone with a DP. I still have my stock exhaust mounted to my garage wall just in case.

Do you have any sound clips of your set up?

This is my daily driver too (44,000 miles in two years) and I've been Stage 2 for 31,000 miles now :)

I don't have any sound clips - I simply have the APR DP paired with the stock exhaust, tons of videos of it if you search.