GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust question help needed

Vadermk7

I actully researched this pretty well and I could not find much. Long story short I had and exhaust shop do a muffler and resonator delete last week. It sounds great but not loud enough. I know that getting a down pipe will change everything drastically, but the question is has anyone here deleted there muffler resonator and 2nd cat? If so how did it sound? Thanks again!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Probably should just unhook the exhaust all together - then it'll be super loud!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I actully researched this pretty well and I could not find much. Long story short I had and exhaust shop do a muffler and resonator delete last week. It sounds great but not loud enough. I know that getting a down pipe will change everything drastically, but the question is has anyone here deleted there muffler resonator and 2nd cat? If so how did it sound? Thanks again!

what.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Good lord, I think your definition of loud and mine have to be pretty different....ahhahahaha...you are v. close to just being straight-piped.

Vadermk7

My apologies I do have a vibrant resonator ( very small “ bottle” style ) i mean it’s not even close as loud as I thought it was going to be....

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you remove the second cat you will be removing part of the emissions system and the car will think something is wrong with it. It will throw a code and as a result and you will have a CEL on your dash just how it would if you put an aftermarket DP in. So if I were you I would save the hassle of cutting up your OEM one and just go aftermarket. It will then be too loud and you can start researching other exhaust options as most everyone on here modifies their exhaust with an aftermarket DP so there will be plenty of sound clips and setups.

This is a great place to start.

Vadermk7

I’m not sure removing the second cat would cause a cel it’s after the O2 sensor but thank you for the input. your right going after market dp with this setup I think would be way to loud !

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Removing the second cat wouldn't cause any CEL's since it's downstream of the secondary O2 sensor. There's really no reason to hack up the factory downpipe when there are plenty of aftermarket ones out there.

Vadermk7

Understood, but now if I go with a downpipe with no muffler and res it’s going to be extremely loud....well then again I can always re weld them if need be !

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
so you wont pass inspections but, buy a catless downpipe, remove the vibrant resonator, then you will get it as loud as you can. There is also an ecs cutout which you press a button and it bypasses all restrictions i.e. muffler ect