GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Problems

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Hello All,

2019 Golf R here. Want an exhaust system mostly for sound, not expecting gains.

Ordered an XForce system - Waited a month and a half. Kept getting delayed, cancelled order.

Ordered the Magnaflow system - Didn't fit the car. Was obviously for a MK7... didn't fit the facelift.

Decided to spring for a Milltek system - Order arrives and just about every outlet / end is out of round. Bracket for the driver side exhaust valve is bent so bad I can't get even get the valve motor on. Decided to send the system back.

WTF?!?! I just want a decent exhaust system that sounds good. My only remaining option is to have my local custom exhaust shop fabricate something for the car. Not sure what it will sound like, and I'll have to eliminate the valves which I honestly wanted to keep.

Has anyone here done a custom exhaust on the R? Is this option worth it, or will the sound be crap? Do I need one of these if I decide to eliminate the valves?

https://www.urotuning.com/products/...HKEVkkZvIBSVuQb_tBlYrqW4eLTkKRuxoC7rUQAvD_BwE

Thanks

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

Yep... That's the one. Not only does the Magnaflow website show this fitting, various other websites show this fitting the facelift, specifically. I had to reach out to Summit Racing directly to let them know, and of course, they still have it on the website as fitting the 2018+.

I also informed ECS when ordering the Milltek. They also still have this system advertised as fitting a 2018+

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
AWE was my next bet if I didn't go the custom route. Honestly, just don't really like the look of the Switchpath with the muffler on one side. Otherwise, AWE was my favorite sound next to Milltek.

I'm kinda scared of the aftermarket at this point. I'm leaning toward the custom setup since I know the shop personally, but want to keep the valves. I like the idea of a tuned exhaust that has history rather than fully custom for obvious reasons. Not sure what to do.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I've had a bunch of different exhaust configurations on my car. If you have a stock downpipe the APR exhaust sounds nice. If you have an aftermarket downpipe the stock exhaust with the center resonator removed sounds nice.

Given that all a cat back exhaust does is make noise and empty your wallet and all the issues you've had, maybe just spend the money on a downpipe and center resonator removal. You keep money in your pocket, make more power and end up with a nice sounding exhaust.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I've had a bunch of different exhaust configurations on my car. If you have a stock downpipe the APR exhaust sounds nice. If you have an aftermarket downpipe the stock exhaust with the center resonator removed sounds nice.

Given that all a cat back exhaust does is make noise and empty your wallet and all the issues you've had, maybe just spend the money on a downpipe and center resonator removal. You keep money in your pocket, make more power and end up with a nice sounding exhaust.

The car is still fairly new and I don't want to tune yet, so naturally that means no DP yet either. Many miles of warranty left etc. This is also my DD for the most part, so cranking out power isn't necessarily the right move for this car. Plenty fast the way it sits.

I'm going to the custom shop to chat with the guys tomorrow. I'll have them remove the stock exhaust where it bolts up to the U bracket and build a custom setup with a cylindrical muffler. I'll keep the stock exhaust in the event I want to put it back on down the line.

Thanks for the advice either way.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Did you consider an electric cutout?

Honestly, I didn't know these kits existed till I just looked it up. The local exhaust shop said they could achieve the same thing by cutting off the original tip arms. I personally just don't like the idea of hacking up the stock system as I may reuse in the future.