GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everything Rattles?!

Jared

Ready to race!
So this is my first new car and I expected it to be flawless... I live in the midwest where the roads are crappy and there are a decent amount of pot holes. Is it just me or does the car rattle a lot? I tend to block it out but just wanted some opinions...

JayGo

Mine started rattling from multiple locations within hours of picking it up and apparently we are not alone.

I was told they could well disappear once things had settled in.
A few weeks later they have basically stopped, although some have suggested that the weather warming up, at least in this part of the world, may be why.
No doubt I will find out come winter. This is my first VW and if they re-appear it will probably be my last.
The rattles have certainly encouraged me to leave the radio on virtually all the time.

Whilst I didn't expect perfection, it is disappointing in a relatively expensive car.
Like perhaps others, I think the car has so much going for it, but it is spoilt by some issues which I have not experienced in the many new cars I have owned, going back over more years than I care to remember.
To my mind they should certainly not be present to the extent that they are.

You'll find a number of threads relating to this issue, including the use of Sailkote and similar to spray on here and there.

I suspect you will agree that we shouldn't have to resort to such tactics on a new, and far from inexpensive car, in this day and age.

Good luck.

Last edited:

thelister

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine started rattling from multiple locations within hours of picking it up and apparently we are not alone.

A few weeks later they have basically stopped, although some have suggested that the weather warming up, at least in this part of the world, may be why.
No doubt I will find out come winter. This is my first VW and if they re-appear it will probably be my last.
The rattles have certainly encouraged me to leave the radio on virtually all the time.

Whilst I didn't expect perfection, it is disappointing in a relatively expensive car.
Like perhaps others, I think the car has so much going for it, but it is spoilt by some issues which I have not experienced in the many new cars I have owned, going back over more years than I care to remember.

You'll find a number of threads relating to this issue, including the use of Sailkote and similar to spray on here and there.

I suspect you will agree that we shouldn't have to resort to such tactics on a new, and far from inexpensive car, in this day and age.

Good luck.

Don't mean to hijack this thread at all, but you mentioned that there were a number of issues you never experienced in other cars. Could you perhaps elaborate? (Currently on the verge of buying a GTI over a Gen Coupe). Much appreciated!

F12

Ready to race!
I've had a few pop up but mostly due to temperature fluctuations. I can say though that they have mostly subsided now that it's a bit warmer

Jared

Ready to race!

Good luck.

Appreciate the feedback and I'm glad I am not the only one that has noticed these issues... It's a shame considering how much we paid for the vehicle although there are a couple rattles I'm not questioning the purchase of the vehicle considering besides this small issues it's flawless.

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
So this is my first new car and I expected it to be flawless... I live in the midwest where the roads are crappy and there are a decent amount of pot holes. Is it just me or does the car rattle a lot? I tend to block it out but just wanted some opinions...

I bought my car brand new and like you it is my first brand new car and my car rattles too. The worst rattling is from the rear, I'm convinced it is the rear suspension but vw tell me this is normal (read vw can't fix it), though over eleven months and 13000 miles there are more and more noises appearing from the drivers door and dash area of the car and a creaking drivers seat:confused:. It's certainly better in the warmer weather but is far from refined.

After the car having spent 19 days at various dealers over the first 8 months of it's life with no improvement they now tell me these noise's are a characteristic of the car:mad: and I gave up on vw ever fixing anything. I wish they'd mentioned these 'characteristics' before I handed over close on £30k for what was supposed to be a premium product. I certainly won't make the mistake of buying Vw next time:p

kidbs

Passed Driver's Ed
So far I've been lucky don't don't have any rattles at all. I even have a torque arm insert and the engine vibrations from that don't rattle anything.

As with their turbos it seems that build quality can be inconsistent.

Josh64

Ready to race!
Don't mean to hijack this thread at all, but you mentioned that there were a number of issues you never experienced in other cars. Could you perhaps elaborate? (Currently on the verge of buying a GTI over a Gen Coupe). Much appreciated!

Do you want a car that is refined, sophisticated and has practical passenger/cargo area? Get the GTI. Do you want a cheaply made car that says, "Look at me!" and makes loud noises with no practicality whatsoever? Get the Genesis. I don't notice any noises in my Golf, the interior is serene.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Mine is also very quiet but I know of some other expensive cars that rattle as well when new, nothing crazy but they do. Also if don't like rattles DO NOT buy a MINI lol they are super fun cars but the rattles on those cars are insane.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion

First off i'm not biased on VW's(my sig appears that way), but I can tell you hyundai are worse. My friends 2009 Genesis coupe rattled worse than my mk6 did in cold weather. So far i have no rattles to report on the mk7 with 10,200 miles.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Maybe one of the Mexican workers left some maracas in there? ;)

As someone else said, things rattle a bit when new and then tighten up.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
TBH the 15 year old Peugeot we replaced with the Golf rattled and creaked less.
I am disappointed, to say the least.
Mind you, I also own a 20 year old VW. Damn, every bloody thing in there rattles, it's a bloody nightmare. Goes well though ..

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Every car rattles. They're made by humans.

Every Ford, BMW, Honda, VW I've ridden has a rattle somewhere.

A small rattle here or there yes. But not obnoxious loud rattles, whirs, buzzes. Some people's cars sound like a scene from the exorcist.