GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everbody's second favorite topic...yet another WHICH CLUTCH???

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Is the stock flywheel Okay on this car where alls I would need is a drop-in disc similar to mk6? Just asking as I get mentally prepared for this purchase/install as Stg1 high torque continues to fry my stock clutch daily, lol.

On mk6 GTI, you could upgrade to K04 and literally all they recommend is installing the SB Stage 3 Drop-in Disc. Nothing else required. That's around 150+ more hp over stock and only need a drop-in disc...

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
No refund warranted, I'm exceeding the recommended torque rating. Parts and labor is my own. Besides, the parts aren't destroyed so somebody will get a killer deal once I get it removed and up for sale.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
No refund warranted, I'm exceeding the recommended torque rating. Parts and labor is my own. Besides, the parts aren't destroyed so somebody will get a killer deal once I get it removed and up for sale.

Ah okay. Thought you meant it should have been holding with your power but wasn't.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think you've got some other issues going on if that clutch is slipping at stage 1 power levels.
Oh yea, i've got some other issues going on... I obviously can't do math or keep myself from getting excited and ordering stuff on a whim. I thought it was rated at 450. Looks like it's rated for 400, which is what the tune requests. Another $2,000 lesson, I'm sure the clutch is fine if you aren't pushing such an aggressive tune.

However, not sure why anyone would bother with Southbend when Ringer Racing is offering 575 ft/lbs on the DMF for the same price and no helicopter take off noise.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Oh yea, i've got some other issues going on... I obviously can't do math or keep myself from getting excited and ordering stuff on a whim. I thought it was rated at 450. Looks like it's rated for 400, which is what the tune requests. Another $2,000 lesson, I'm sure the clutch is fine if you aren't pushing such an aggressive tune.

However, not sure why anyone would bother with Southbend when Ringer Racing is offering 575 ft/lbs on the DMF for the same price and no helicopter take off noise.
Southbend has been proven across many VW/Audi high horsepower applications for years; Ringer, not so much. At the end of the day, it's all a choice.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
And the ringer clutches are either hybrid or full kevlar, not organic. I would like something forgiving and longer lasting, hence my preference for an organic friction material.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
And the ringer clutches are either hybrid or full kevlar, not organic. I would like something forgiving and longer lasting, hence my preference for an organic friction material.
That’s not accurate, southbend uses Kevlar on the endurance.

ringers 4 and up uses feramic and I can tell you that’s it’s much smoother than regular ceramic, and a negligible difference from twin disc organic.

stage 3+ will get you a firmer pedal but with a hybrid disc as you mentioned so only one face will be feramic.

the reality is you decided to take your 6 speed car to the max and you really are stuck with having to give up some of that easy drivability because of it.

I’ve said it before with clutch ratings and assumed “xxx” holding. That’s not a set in stone number… the manufactures didn’t have a way to specifically pinpoint what xxxx weight PP + xx friction coefficient rated disc can hold exactly hold as driving conditions play a bigger role in this. A stage 3 clutch that’s said to hold say 475 is rated at the flywheel and it’s not accounting for how each car hits that assumed 475… a hybrid car in corn hits max TQ very abrupt and rapid.

if you are set in SMF and soundbend at least get the endurance as the headroom is important on these cars when build with such and strong power band.

F96EB23F-D9D6-4CB8-B7B0-538929B43428.jpeg
00C28234-9024-45D5-84B3-683731627B3A.jpeg

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The stage 3 ringer is rated to 575 lb ft... even with the hybrid disk, the pedal will still be stiffer than the Sachs SRE with it's matching organic disk, right ?

edit: That one is rated for a lot less, <405 lb ft.... Do we know if all the ringer disks come sprung? that's a nice touch, I might get it over the SRE just for that...

Last edited: