GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everbody's second favorite topic...yet another WHICH CLUTCH???

Dave88LX

Car(s)
'16 GTI S 6MT
I'll piggy back my experience to @Desslok and @El_bigote_AJ

I too have a SB Stage 3 Daily with a EQT 93 Stage 2 tune, up until last night I drove around on the stock mounts and the chatter at idle imo although annoying I could forgive, BUT the desiel tractor gearbox sounds are irritating until I pass 3k rpms and despite this I've dealt with it for the past 10k+ miles cause DSD, Daily Spirited Driver lol
Last Night I installed Motor, Trans, Pendulum mounts from BFI Stage 2
I expected the NVH to increase particularly vibration, but I was surprised and imo I didn't feel bothered and could DD it BUT the noise.
Holy crap the Irritating noise, sounds like the tranny is dismantling itself from within and intensified by ALOT more than anticipated and dispitates as I go over 3k rpms, I hope but doubt it'll reduce by much after the break in period of the mounts cause otherwise this combo - SB S3 Daily and the BFI S2 mounts will not sit well for many DD

I currently don't have Fluidampr but I will definitely be looking into this to help reduce any noise if possible along with trans fluids...
Possible to get a video of what this sounds like?

This thread was a good read.

I'm currently sitting at 120K miles, bone stock on my '16 S-model. I'm ready to start doing a few things to it, but don't know 100% the direction I'm going to go in. It's a DD, I do about 140 miles/day, with some stop-and-go.

Thinking of EQT tune, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, intake, ex91 or 93 (no E/E-mix, keep it simple). Maybe turbo upgrade in the future? Not sure where power would land yet, but I know I'm going to need a clutch.

Guess I have a lot of reading to do.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I'll piggy back my experience to @Desslok and @El_bigote_AJ

I too have a SB Stage 3 Daily with a EQT 93 Stage 2 tune, up until last night I drove around on the stock mounts and the chatter at idle imo although annoying I could forgive, BUT the desiel tractor gearbox sounds are irritating until I pass 3k rpms and despite this I've dealt with it for the past 10k+ miles cause DSD, Daily Spirited Driver lol
Last Night I installed Motor, Trans, Pendulum mounts from BFI Stage 2
I expected the NVH to increase particularly vibration, but I was surprised and imo I didn't feel bothered and could DD it BUT the noise.
Holy crap the Irritating noise, sounds like the tranny is dismantling itself from within and intensified by ALOT more than anticipated and dispitates as I go over 3k rpms, I hope but doubt it'll reduce by much after the break in period of the mounts cause otherwise this combo - SB S3 Daily and the BFI S2 mounts will not sit well for many DD

I currently don't have Fluidampr but I will definitely be looking into this to help reduce any noise if possible along with trans fluids...
The transmission noise is why I feel the need to keep my loud exhaust. With a stock catback, it would be even more obvious.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My days of ruining a perfectly good daily are over. I've been going out of my way to make sure every mod I make is an improvement, without losing the stock civility. When I was younger, I didn't care, so I get why people do it, but my goal for this car was to build an OEM+ type of build with the performance of a CS.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Wow! This thread was very informative for a newbie such as myself...

I say that because I have recently purchased a '17 GTI 6spd, and I am currently doing some DD on the forums here on the best route to take when it comes to going for a OEM+ build. Stage 1 is all that I intend on going for. Now that I'm aware of the fact that upgrading your clutch is mandatory when tuning these cars and from what I've read, perhaps the Stage 4 Ringer Racing Kit w/ a DMF will be the best thing moving forward seeing that drivability will not be lost here.

No harm no foul here if I misunderstood any of this.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hypothetically, if you 100% had to choose something from Clutch Masters and had to stay DMF, what would you get stage 1+ to stage 2?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Hypothetically, if you 100% had to choose something from Clutch Masters and had to stay DMF, what would you get stage 1+ to stage 2?
Are you referring to the ringer kit that’s a private label CM? Cause the cm’s sets aren’t rated in stages.

Also - cm won’t sell the ringer kit direct you have to order though ringer and then it gets assembled and shipped direct from CM.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are you referring to the ringer kit that’s a private label CM? Cause the cm’s sets aren’t rated in stages.

Also - cm won’t sell the ringer kit direct you have to order though ringer and then it gets assembled and shipped direct from CM.

I'll have to see if the shop can get the ringer kit. The fx150, 250, 350, 400 all look like smf kits.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'll have to see if the shop can get the ringer kit. The fx150, 250, 350, 400 all look like smf kits.
They will make all the discs rigid for smf applications.

Those kits all use the same HD pressure plate so pedal pressure will all be the same just how they grab will be the variable with those I would think the 100/150 gonna be like stock holding, so skip when paying the labor.

250 probably feels nice and should hold for your uses fine, 350 should be grabbier but still smooth but could potentially hold less, just handles heat better like ceramic (but smoother) also wears less than organics.

The tracks you Auto x on are you shifting during the laps or just staying in the same gear? Lots of shifting and heat would be the only reason to jump to the 400/450 and 500/550

https://clutchmasters.com/ag-178165...wagen-gti-2015-2021-2-0l-mk7-tsi-6-speed.html

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
They will make all the discs rigid for smf applications.

Those kits all use the same HD pressure plate so pedal pressure will all be the same just how they grab will be the variable with those I would think the 100/150 gonna be like stock holding, so skip when paying the labor.

250 probably feels nice and should hold for your uses fine, 350 should be grabbier but still smooth but could potentially hold less, just handles heat better like ceramic (but smoother) also wears less than organics.

The tracks you Auto x on are you shifting during the laps or just staying in the same gear? Lots of shifting and heat would be the only reason to jump to the 400/450 and 500/550

https://clutchmasters.com/ag-178165...wagen-gti-2015-2021-2-0l-mk7-tsi-6-speed.html

I do 15 autocrosses a year, once since 2018 have I had to shift to 3rd.

I do 2 to 4 track days a year and plan on doing TT's regularly once I finish the car.

I'm required to keep the DMF. Can't go past stg 2 without ending up in uncompetitive classes in both autocross and TT.

I'm not looking for super heavy clutch either, I still drive this thing and don't want to end up with another car I leave in the garage because it sucks to drive on the street.

I've been able to strike that balance with the suspension and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's handling so well now, it feels like it can handle more power. Clutch is fine at stg 1 now, but I newer launch and never go WOT in 5th and 6th, but I know it won't hold stg 2.

Last edited: