GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everbody's second favorite topic...yet another WHICH CLUTCH???

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
No, it's not another "what oil is best" but damned close.

I've searched, I've looked, I've tried my best and hope not to get roasted.

2018 GTI, full bolt on EQT Vortex with MPI running corn juice blend. I was really trying to keep things simple. OEM plus daily, minimal chatter, maximum drive-ability. Brand new TOB, bleeder block, OEM DMF, TTRS pressure plate, and unsprung/full face organic SACHS SRE clutch disc. After 500 mile breakin and base tune from EQT I'm getting clutch slip as boost comes on.

https://datazap.me/u/jaystonewee/log-1619646322?log=0&data=8-13

Weak link is doing it's job, just sooner than I expected. Cobb said 375lb/ft torque at clutch (I'm not sure how accurate that # is.) According to the webernets this setup should have been good for 400-420ish. I really wanted to keep the DMF and an organic clutch disc. Next best thing from my research is a South Bend stage 3 daily with solid torque rating. It's an organic disc but SMF, albeit allegedly one of the quiter SMF setups. Toss in a Fluidampr and embrace the chatter???

Before I drop another couple G's on more parts, am I missing anything? Maybe just a different clutch disc? Is SB S3 still not enough clutch?

Let the schooling begin.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
What pressure plate and disc where you running exactly?

The TTRS pressure plate (07K-141-015) but not with the normal recommend replacement OEM disc (03G-141-031), instead with the unspring disc from the Sachs performance kit (881864.999502)?

Why didn't you run the full Sachs performance kit? Didn't even know it was a good idea to mix them.... Can the Sachs disc really hold that much more power....

At this point you might as well get something like that South Bend... or maybe try the 4 puck with the actual Sachs pressure plate if you want to keep the DM flywheel...

edit: Personally I would keep it.......

Last edited:

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Yes to both the PP and Sachs clutch disc instead of OEM 240mm disc. Parts collection for this build started a year ago, clutch was one of the first items to be purchased before scope creep snowballed out of control. I rolled the dice with the Sachs disc in hopes of buying just a little more headroom over OEM disc.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
SB Stg 3 or Sachs 4 puck. You can use the 4 puck with the stock flywheel but it is a puck clutch so potentially drivability issues. If I did it again I would go SB Stg 3.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yes to both the PP and Sachs clutch disc instead of OEM 240mm disc. Parts collection for this build started a year ago, clutch was one of the first items to be purchased before scope creep snowballed out of control. I rolled the dice with the Sachs disc in hopes of buying just a little more headroom over OEM disc.
You could also try getting the RSR Hybrid disc... that would match well with the TTRS PP you already have, but idk if they sell that separate.... maybe you already tired that? hence getting the Sachs instead?

https://hstuning.com/product/hs-tuning-gti-golf-r-mk7-rsr-hybrid-clutch-kit-hst-rsr-004/

Like others have said, with the Vortex and all, might as well get the south bend and not bother with it again....

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
I did reach out to HS Tuning after they came out with the hybrid RSR disc, but they only sell disc alone with proof of purchase of complete kit previously from them.

South Bend here I come. Anybody need a TTRS setup :)

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So... I’m hybrid also, and am now on my 3rd clutch in the last year. Lol.

was -fx500 ceramic puck with a new DMF first. Cliffs - great pedal, not noisy, very abrupt engagements for street and hated to be slipped for smooth take offs. I broke the flywheel launching the car and had to switch it out...

went dkm twin as the idea of organic plates intrigued me as it would be smooth with grabbing but still hold all the power.
Cliff - f**k that clutch. Lol.
it was smooth with take offs and held the power fine but it was noisy at low rpms, had issues with engagements and always had this pop grind sound when quick shifting... the TOB it came with broke 2 months ago and soaked the discs...

at that point I knew I wanted to go back to a DMF that’s the cars drivetrain was designed around for various reasons including comfort and that lead me to ringer racing’s kit... I decided to go with the stage 5 to be fully sure it would hold as the stage 4 used the same pressure plate that was on my fx500 so I wanted to worried about pedal pressure. So I went with the stage 5, it’s all broken in now and I can say it’s an absolute blast to drive that has fit my needs perfect since I wanted my cake and to eat it, it’s grabby since it’s sinistered metal/ceramic but it’s full faced so it still really easy to be smooth, it’s within 10% of the noise levels as factory and holds the power with ease, and quick shifts soo much better than the dkm ever could.

only thing is the pedal is very stiff and will kick your ass after and long city commute lol. But that’s expected as a stage 5.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
https://www.ringer-racing.com/category.sc?categoryId=1126

Owners very responsive with emails to...

you can do the kit with the dmf or the smf... but as someone who’s went for dmf to smf back to dmf.... for DD and a car powertrain that was designed for a dmf - I’d reccomend dmf all day.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I would recommend you go IS38 and sell your Vortex to avoid the hassle of choosing clutches. Then sell the Vortex to me (for cheap).

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Are you saying your TTRS setup started slipping IMMEDIATELY after your 500 mile break-in period? Like your first WOT after that 500 miles it was slipping?