GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ever wondered what's inside a KW/Öhlins DCC canceller? Wonder no more.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Two cancellers from KW were harmed (irreparably) for this. iSweep should be similar as well.

To sum up, a mere $20 or so per canceller.

Could I make it myself? Possibly, if I can get ahold of some aluminum enclosures for cheap, or have them CNC'd for me (the crimping and soldering is trivial). Would I? No, I don't even have coils. Merry Christmas.

CONTENTS (per canceller)

1) Intertechnik HQR32/5.6/50 Iron Core Inductor*

1608937695265.png 1608937804963.png 1608937821333.png 20201204_151408.jpg

2) Vishay / Dale 1/2W 0.5ohm 2% Resistor (the resistor code doesn't make much sense, and the measurement is iffy, so the resistance may be higher, but for sure 1/2W)

20201204_151451.jpg

3a) Connector (Pigtail / Bare Connector 1-1703498-1/ Male Contacts 1718760-3 / Wire Seal for 20AWG to 18AWG 967067-1 / Strain Relief Boot E-ACCA 1J0906102 / Strain Relief Boot AliExpress 1J0906102)

20201126_171248.jpg 20201126_171243.jpg

3b) LEONI Adascar® Sensor 211 (truth be told, any 2 conductor in the 20AWG to 18AWG range, high stranding [64 strands per conductor in this case] unshielded cable will work, as long as the temp range matches)

1608941056230.png

4) A snazzy aluminum open-bottom enclosure

CONSTRUCTION

Everything was potted into the the snazzy aluminum enclosure using typical potting compound, epoxy would work just as well.

Pin 1 of the connector was soldered to one end of the resistor, whereas Pin 2 was connected to the inductor itself (the other terminal is soldered to the unused end of the resistor).

*I believe the Intertechnik inductor comes with an iron core already, but cannot confirm. If air core, then KW (or whoever made it) added a custom machined steel core that filled up the ID of the inductor, and acted as a protective surface for the bottom of the enclosure.

CODING THE DAMN LIGHTS OUT

Alternatively, if you feel adventurous, you can also opt to code out the lights and have traction control/ABS functional again:

1608947491682.png

Last edited:

timbdotus

Just an FYI: Off the shelf plastic epoxy is not potting compound. Epoxy is hydroscopic and will expand and contract with temperature. This movement can break solder connections and pop components off circuit boards.

Actual electronics potting compound doesn’t have these issues and is available in various quantities on eBay or electronics retailers like Digi-Key, Mouser or Element 14.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Just an FYI: Off the shelf plastic epoxy is not potting compound. Epoxy is hydroscopic and will expand and contract with temperature. This movement can break solder connections and pop components off circuit boards.

Actual electronics potting compound doesn’t have these issues and is available in various quantities on eBay or electronics retailers like Digi-Key, Mouser or Element 14.

Normally I'd argue for potting compound, but this is literally a 1/2W resistor soldered an an inductor. On a vibrating part. I'd wager the potting compound/encapsulating media in this case was used mainly to keep people out and black box the part. It can't hurt, but it's not ultra crucial either.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Inductors are more powerful when an iron core is added & therefore can be smaller for the same mH value...

I'd also try to keep the same DCR as the original inductor as with it being a high value you don't know if they built that into the calcs to then use a smaller resistor...

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Inductors are more powerful when an iron core is added & therefore can be smaller for the same mH value...

I'd also try to keep the same DCR as the original inductor as with it being a high value you don't know if they built that into the calcs to then use a smaller resistor...

I don't know why you shouldn't keep the original, you can't get much cheaper than the OE German supplier haha, their price is super reasonable even with shipping.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
There's no reason those cans need to be aluminum if that stuff is potted... Not like you're getting any cooling from it.

timbdotus

Normally I'd argue for potting compound, but this is literally a 1/2W resistor soldered an an inductor. On a vibrating part. I'd wager the potting compound/encapsulating media in this case was used mainly to keep people out and black box the part. It can't hurt, but it's not ultra crucial either.

Yeah, that’s fair. Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be that guy, this is just something I’ve seen a lot on an electronics forum, where people try potting with everything but potting compound and are then surprised when their circuit stops working down the line.

For something simple like this, you’re right, epoxy will probably work fine. The only weak spot might be that solder joint, due to physical stresses from the epoxy. If it’s possible to swap in a crimp connection there I would.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion