GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

European Alpine 9" Infotainment...Will it work?

bdownes

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Hi I just installed a Alpine i902D-G7 and I was wondering if the video in motion bypass worked?
Anyone try with success to install the "Alpine X903D‐G7 9” Touch Screen Navigation for Volkswagen Golf 7 with TomTom map" ?
I have just ordered the Alpine X903D-G7 and the other two items mentioned in this thread for install on MK7 with Fender speakers:

- Alpine KCE‐G7Qi Wireless Charging Console for Volkswagen Golf 7
- Alpine APF-H100DY Interface for MOST amplifier in VW Golf 7 and Skoda Octavia 3
- Alpine X903D‐G7 9” Touch Screen Navigation for Volkswagen Golf 7 with TomTom map

Going to attempt install. Our original head unit that came with the GTI doesn't even power on any more. Have had problems with it since the day we drove it new off the VW lot. VW was never helpful in fixing the issues. The head unit should be a recall based on what I hear and see others experiencing with them.

Where do you find the install tools shown in the Alpine video?

I communicated via eBay with Marco from Italy who sells this equipment. He is making sure I receive the left hand steering version of the Alpine to go on my US 2015 MK7 GTI Autobahn.

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Your links don't work for me.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Your link shows the RHD bezel, don't you need the LHD?

FirmBreastedVDub

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I know, I know! Anyway all is well:

Final update (I hope):

More or less everything works! I don't know why to be honest. I drove up to my installer, and they've been great. Told them I'm only getting sound in front. We get in the car, turn it on, and everything works. I don't know what to make of it.

I had been playing around with settings. Since Alpine told me the adapter uses only the front signal, I turned the subwoofer setting on and off (didn't seem to matter, but also, turned off/flattened the crossover. I think I may have been cutting off the bass signal to the amp. The fader will not work, as only the front audio signal is sent. This is fine, I mean, I'd rather have the ability, but it's not bad. You'd have to go aftermarket amps to get full control, I don't think I'll go that route, but who knows, might get the bug!

Carplay works well, and that was the primary driving force of doing this, worth it in the end, and a bit of an adventure!

So if anyone is considering this, I'd say it's worthwhile if you want carplay/nav/etc. If I were starting over, I might skip the fender adapter and just go aftermarket amp from the get-go, should be a noticably better end result.
I know, I know! Anyway all is well:

Final update (I hope):

More or less everything works! I don't know why to be honest. I drove up to my installer, and they've been great. Told them I'm only getting sound in front. We get in the car, turn it on, and everything works. I don't know what to make of it.

I had been playing around with settings. Since Alpine told me the adapter uses only the front signal, I turned the subwoofer setting on and off (didn't seem to matter, but also, turned off/flattened the crossover. I think I may have been cutting off the bass signal to the amp. The fader will not work, as only the front audio signal is sent. This is fine, I mean, I'd rather have the ability, but it's not bad. You'd have to go aftermarket amps to get full control, I don't think I'll go that route, but who knows, might get the bug!

Carplay works well, and that was the primary driving force of doing this, worth it in the end, and a bit of an adventure!

So if anyone is considering this, I'd say it's worthwhile if you want carplay/nav/etc. If I were starting over, I might skip the fender adapter and just go aftermarket amp from the get-go, should be a noticably better end result.

I've been running this Infotainment system for over a year now pretty realiably. Now I am digging back in to work out some bugs that are driving me a little bonkers.

Couple of questions;
1. Does your MFD receive song info from HU? In carplay mode MFD reads "Alpine" , sometimes nothing. When in BT mode info does appear in MFD
2. Does your telephone information display on MFD in carplay mode? (Mine does but only when hooked up via Bluetooth.
3. Are you using factory SAT antenna? (Sorry if I missed this earlier in this post)
4. Does your Compass/Nav info appear on MFD? In carplay compass is intermittent, in BT mode same thing but more consistent.

My current setup
i902D
Alpine APF-X310MIB Came with my i902D kit
Alpine EXT mic- Trying to work out the bugs and run OEM
Alpine Pre out to Alpine amp (removed fender amp)
Alpine Aftermarket SAT antenna- Trying to work out bugs to run OEM
Alpine DVE-500
Aftermarket USB- Could never get the one that came with the i902 to work?

Replaced
MIB 1 SAT/Nav
Fender Premium Audio AMP
7" Screen

iNvisible9611

Car(s)
GTI MK7 2015
@bdownes

Recently my GTI infotainment system has been acting up - primarily intermittently shutting down mid-drive or not turning on when car is first turned on. I'm looking to purchase Alpine X903D‐G7 9 as the price delta between it and the radio control unit for MIB 1 is not too far off.

I'm curious as to what your experience has been and any issues you ran into when integrating this system into your GTI?

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTi S DSG
Where did everyone purchase their Alpine unit?
Seems like ordering from Europe is the only way:unsure:.

Looking closer at the center dash area on both the MK7 & MK7.5, they appear basically the same, save for trim color/finish. I've got the basic system w/o Nav. so I'm thinking this unit will work in my ride. Yes?

My base IU in my 2020 GTi S started acting up a couple weeks ago & now it's totally screwed. Removed it from the dash due to my concerns that it might cause problems in other car systems. Going to the dealership Wednesday.

Removed all my aftermarket Kicker components and returned the LC2i. The Alpine supposedly puts out a dedicated, true 4V subwoofer signal, so the Audiocontrol would be unnecessary.

Last edited:

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTi S DSG
Well, order placed🤞

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTi S DSG
Finished up my install yesterday. The only items/features I've yet to either use or figure out are the vehicle's dynamic settings like TC, drive modes and such.

I had Alpine's GPS antenna installed behind the gauges, somewhat following the instructions, but couldn't mount it in the exact spot illustrated. There's an electrical component mounted on the specified metal shelf. I had to mount it just below and to the left where there was just enough space. The end result was a Bad signal. I pulled everything out, re-routed the GPS cable behind the passenger dash and mounted it onto the dash surface near the A pillar. My USB type-C cable arrived yesterday, so I'll give Android Auto a shot soon enough to see if there's an improvement, but as of now, there's no compass showing on either the MFD or the 9".

Everything else seems good. Steering wheel volume & track buttons, along with the voice command button all function perfectly. The backup camera, bluetooth connectivity and hands free calling with the oem mic all good to go. I had to pull the unit again to double check I had plugged my RCA cable into the subwoofer pre-out, seeing as I couldn't get good sound from my sub/amp, even with the IU and amp settings maxed out:unsure:. I ordered and received a PAC LD10 to boost my sub pre-amp signal. I know, I know, it's a cheap part, but based on reviews, I calculate ~88% chance it'll work.

Another perplexing thought deals with the "CAN" that came as part of the Alpine wiring harness/adaptor. I only had one larger connector that snapped into one end of the CAN. The other end has a 6-pin socket. I've gone over all the physical wires, connectors and such, but currently found nothing to plug into that 6-pin socket. I'm hoping someone will tell me this is for adding a DVD player or something😁.

In the end, I'm pretty sure certain driver/passenger safety features are always ON by default, even if not tied into the IU. 99.9% of the time I'm paddling in Normal with TC ON, so I don't really need to see or play with every option.
I'll mess with the shifter console buttons on the way home tonight to see if I at least have something to read on the MFD.

IMG_20210219_121758765.jpg

Last edited:

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTi S DSG
Great news! The PAC LD10 worked awesomely! Set the head unit to the "flat" EQ preset, maxed out the adjustment screws for Left/right on the PAC and set the amp gain to minimum. Turned up the head unit to a volume juuust above my usual listening level and brought up the amp gain to about 1/3. Totally happy now, and with blurred vision:love:

Next up is trying to fab up some type of strain relief for the usb cable plugged into the cubby so it doesn't jiggle around, potentially impacting android auto connectivity. Got a ProClip mount bracket on the way too. The one that goes alongside the climate controls(y).
I'll just attach a rubberized magnet from a generic cell phone mount kit I bought a while back, using a thin metal plate that sticks to the back of your cell phone case. The old "KISS" method;)

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTi S DSG
No such thing as a stupid question, right?

Well, I know there are 4 generic startup/splash screen options somewhere, but I can't figure out where. I'd very much like to change it from Golf to GTi. Hoping it's staring me in the face & I'm just out of it🤪

Anyone?

random11

Visiting mk7 forums after a long time. I wanted to update this thread - as others have noticed, the subwoofer signal is very weak. The Alpine to Fender signal only carries teh front channels, so the sound you’re getting from rears and sub is just the spillover (I have no idea what the right term is) so it’s very low. I don’t get any sound to the rear tweeters, but it’s not that big a deal. I just swapped the sub out for a JBL Basspro Hub, a self-contained amplified subwoofer that can take speaker level inputs. So I tapped the front main/woofer speaker lines to run to the JBL, and this worked quite well. I wish I’d seen the PAC LD10 version above, waaaay cheaper, and I imagine close to as good. The JBL is probably a better sub, but I’d rather have my $400 back. In any case, this works, taking speaker level inputs into a sub, if anyone is so inclined. I thought about getting a line converter and amplifier and leaving the fender sub, but that seemed more complicated, if cheaper. Anyway, my $.02, if it helps.