GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

European Alpine 9" Infotainment...Will it work?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

The reason your airbag light is on is because the battery was still connected when he disconnected the hazards/airbag light module between the vents. I think the only way to clear that is to get the dealership to clear it.

The airbag light will come on if the hazard/airbag module is disconnected AND the ignition is turned on, perhaps to test the stereo. The appropriate control module does a test of the system and then triggers a fault when it cannot see the light.

OBD11 or VCDS can clear this fault. :cool:

Scott

random11

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm not terribly concerned about the airbag light. Been using a friend's VCDS when I need it, I should really just buy one soon.

Going to have a real audio shop do this(unit is fine, powers up connected to a battery) - I've watched that video, and told them to check it out. Any obvious, or not-so-obvious stumbling blocks that I can help them out with?

random11

Update.

So yeah, clearly I should've tried myself, not sure I'd have managed, I'm no expert. Current status: BestBuy guy tried his best to ruin the unit - stripped a couple of screws, and returned the unit missing a couple of other screws. Created some problems for the new installer - they said initially they had trouble powering up the unit, but opened it to fins some metal shavings and the like. I picked up the car after the actual installer left, so I didn't quite follow this part, seems odd. Anyway, unit is installed, lots of things I really like about it, and way better than stock radio. But, in my haste, I didn't check it out before leaving and I have sound in front speakers only. Sigh. Anyway, not too concerned, I'll sort it out.

Likes: the unit can tweak some car settings that you cannot do otherwise without VCDS. Cool, nice add.
CarPlay works very well, no convoluted pairing, just plug 'n play.
Screen is more responsive, and of course way better looking, than stock.

Cons - not a lot so far, aside from the install saga! I'd like to remove DAB from the list of sources, haven't figured that out yet.

Quick questions if you guys know. When I store FM presets, is there a way to have it display frequency? Right now, it displays RDS data, which isn't all that helpful in general, but not that big a deal.
Also, in the car info/settings, I don't get climate/heated seat info. Not something I care about at all, but wondering if it *should* work.

random11

Rear speakers/sub

So, I've been in contact with Alpine Italy, and they say that Apf-h100dy is for Dynaudio integration, and does not work properly with Fender audio. Really annoying if true, as I'll have to add, at least, an aftermarket amp. I hope I can return the adapter if so, offset the cost...

Otterlyclueless - do you have full front/rear/sub using the Apf-h100dy with your unit?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Going to have a real audio shop do this

Update.

So yeah, clearly I should've tried myself, not sure I'd have managed, I'm no expert. Current status: BestBuy guy tried his best to ruin the unit - stripped a couple of screws, and returned the unit missing a couple of other screws.

"Going to have a real audio installer do it"
*takes it to the minimum wage best buy high school dropouts*

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
So, I've been in contact with Alpine Italy, and they say that Apf-h100dy is for Dynaudio integration, and does not work properly with Fender audio. Really annoying if true, as I'll have to add, at least, an aftermarket amp. I hope I can return the adapter if so, offset the cost...

Otterlyclueless - do you have full front/rear/sub using the Apf-h100dy with your unit?

I see that you are in NY but not sure where in NY, constancy Enfig car stereo and see if they can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

random11

"Going to have a real audio installer do it"
*takes it to the minimum wage best buy high school dropouts*

I know, I know! Anyway all is well:

Final update (I hope):

More or less everything works! I don't know why to be honest. I drove up to my installer, and they've been great. Told them I'm only getting sound in front. We get in the car, turn it on, and everything works. I don't know what to make of it.

I had been playing around with settings. Since Alpine told me the adapter uses only the front signal, I turned the subwoofer setting on and off (didn't seem to matter, but also, turned off/flattened the crossover. I think I may have been cutting off the bass signal to the amp. The fader will not work, as only the front audio signal is sent. This is fine, I mean, I'd rather have the ability, but it's not bad. You'd have to go aftermarket amps to get full control, I don't think I'll go that route, but who knows, might get the bug!

Carplay works well, and that was the primary driving force of doing this, worth it in the end, and a bit of an adventure!

So if anyone is considering this, I'd say it's worthwhile if you want carplay/nav/etc. If I were starting over, I might skip the fender adapter and just go aftermarket amp from the get-go, should be a noticably better end result.

Devin1

So if anyone is considering this, I'd say it's worthwhile if you want carplay/nav/etc. If I were starting over, I might skip the fender adapter and just go aftermarket amp from the get-go, should be a noticably better end result.

I am also looking to jump in and do this. Just a few more questions. Just to clarify, did you use the Apf-h100dy adaptor or switch to an aftermarket amp? If I do not get the "X" unit, will the "i" unit default to Android auto when you select navigation? Lastly, how much did the profession shop charge you for the install? Thanks for blazing this path for us.

Projektmkv

Ready to race!
I am also looking to jump in and do this. Just a few more questions. Just to clarify, did you use the Apf-h100dy adaptor or switch to an aftermarket amp? If I do not get the "X" unit, will the "i" unit default to Android auto when you select navigation? Lastly, how much did the profession shop charge you for the install? Thanks for blazing this path for us.
It's your choice, get the interface or get an aftermarket amplifier.The Nav will default to whatever phone is plugged in via the USB. Android Auto or Carplay.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JWTS

Ready to race!
To any owners of this system, is there an optical out on this unit? I've seen come conflicting information on it. Thanks!

JWTS

Ready to race!
No optical out on the unit. Can be had using the add on CD player, that has optical out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OK, thanks. A bit of a bummer since I wanted to run optical to the DSP. At this point I'm ready to bite the bullet and get the Most150 converter for the stock Fender system head unit.

pojieps

I ended up installing the X902 in mine a few months back. I also did the camera switcher to add front camera, DVD player in glove box, accessories control module and the HDMI switcher to add an extra HDMI port. Awesome unit welcome to the club!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What camera switcher are you taking about? I'd love to have a front camera for parking...

oreozzy

Are you not worried about being able to change any car settings that would normally be found in the stock infotainment?
As in:
  • resetting tyre pressure indicator
  • interior lights dimming
  • reverse mirror tilt
  • etc
I mean, sure you could set these first and forget about them, but what happens if you get a dead battery and the change over resets some of these settings?

Makkish

Car(s)
16VW Golf Mk7 GT TDI
Well let me begin by saying, "YES". The Alpine X902D-G7 (incl. variants i902D-G7, X901D-G7, i901D-G7) high-end audio and navigation system with 9" touch screen and Alpine Style trim that makes for seamless integration does indeed function properly if installed in the US version of the Mk7 GTI. If your Golf has the Fender audio system then the Alpine system will require an additional little black box to process the signal coming through the MOST cable.

I had been weighing my options on stereo upgrades for my 2015 GTI SE for some time. The best option kept coming up as the Alpine X901D-G7. Ebay has lots of units that seem similar, but I refuse to purchase electronics that are not made by a well known brand. The other systems also had no support for the wealth of standard car functions that are managed through the stock stereo.

There were quite a few forum posts on people speculating if the system would work when installed into the US spec Golf MK7, but not one was able to give concrete answers.

Unfortunately Alpine only sells this unit in European countries with no plans to bring it to the US. The unit is also quite expensive ranging from $1,000 to $1,600+ depending on the exact model and where it is purchased. In my case the Alpine i902D-G7 I purchased from a seller in Milan, Italy required an
extra $300 interface to function with my car's Fender branded audio.

I decided to take a leap of faith, typed in my cred card information, and waited.

I guess I can just make a list of some observations that people may be interested in.

• The official YouTube install video is rediculously fast and cuts out all of the cursing and bloodied knuckles
  • The install manual is rather vague and written for a European spec Mk7 which, come to find out, has a completely different center console that is worlds easier to work with than the US counterpart
  • The available wiring diagrams are also quite vague, but they'll get you there with the help of some general knowledge about electronics
  • The glove box quickly became the bane of my existence
  • The space that the wiring should pass through can't be accessed without removing the glove box completely, which requires the almost complete disassembly of the center console
  • Steering wheel buttons and gauge cluster aux screen both function without having to give it any thought
  • Best Buy will do a proper install (re-install in my case) for a very fair price
  • If a point comes that you consider cutting wire or plastic to install the system...DON'T!
  • SiriusXM radio is not supported in this system
  • Of course, European DAB radio is not supported
  • The factory GPS antenna will not connect without an adapter
  • If you have a Fender sound system it will require the APF-H100DY adapter which can process the fiber optic signal and power coming from the amp
  • If you have a 2015 or earlier model, you will have to purchase a new USB input terminal located inside the center console cubby hole/little garage door
  • The hardware will not accept a USB hub if you've thought about increasing your number of sources
  • The menu system needs some help. It is usable just not very intuitive which is a huge sin during an age that puts so much importance on user interface design
  • The official Alpine phone apps are garbage
  • Strangely, you can't set the time without the GPS antenna being plugged in

Thus far the only thing I have noticed just not working is the SiriusXM and subsequently the European DAB system. The two technologies are not compatible.
The adapter for the stock GPS antenna is on its way to me from China, but Alpine does include an external GPS antenna if you just can't wait that long.
I just spliced in a MicroBypass to get video in motion, but I haven't had a chance to test it out.

I will try to post some photos soon and will attempt to respond if anyone has a question I could help with.

Hi I just installed a Alpine i902D-G7 and I was wondering if the video in motion bypass worked?