GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne vs APR

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Eurodyne is a better value and convenience proposition.

Unitronic has great customer service.

APR has the major forums paid off so they will delete your post if you say something they don't like or make reference to someone else's specific bad experience

Fixed even better. ;)

...this message may self destruct.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Eurodyne has made it clear that the flash counter is reset to 1 when returning to stock, which I believe is the same way it is addressed by APR.

Coming from the Subaru world, where pretty much everyone is tuned either with Cobb or with open source, both of which are tune-at-home products, I think having to go into a dealer and pay a labor charge on top of overpaying for the tune is pretty ridiculous. The technology is there. APR could make theirs user-installable as well, but they choose not to.

Kudos to them. Don't get me wrong competition is good, and we all have brand we recommend based off experience.

Like I said this is a never ending debate, and I'd like to not derail the thread further. I think everyone should make their decision based off their needs. :cool:

drsiddiqui1

Passed Driver's Ed
OP: What are your intentions for the car in the long run? What do you usually use the car for (ie commutes to work, weekend fun, mix, etc)

Seeing as you came from BMW. Burger Motorsports just release a PNP module that seems to be getting good reviews.
I noticed the JB1 however it seemed to get quite a bit less gain than the flashes. The JB4 was just as good as some flashes with the 335 and I know there is a JB4 in the works for the Golf R but don't have the patience to wait till end of the year. I use my car as a daily driver.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Yes, I see the only selling point being that they have dealers that will flash for you.
Not just the flashing, but the troubleshooting when your car is throwing codes. If you flash at home and you get a CEL or have driveability issues, are you going to take it to VW?

carterruss

Ready to race!
Eurodyne: Lower cost, tune at home, free upgrades between stages, flexibility with other (company) hardware. And eventually should you go Big Turbo (stage 3), Maestro should be out eventually which will provide custom tunes.

Unitronic: Eventually they should get tune at home with UniConnect, complete package tuning (SW and HW) and they should have a complete Stage 3 kit out eventually should you go that route.

APR: Complete package tuning (SW and HW), will have a Stage 3 kit should you go that route.

I believe all are similar gains. See below (info pulled from company websites 6/30/15):

Stage 1 91 Octane:
APR: 57 HP, 83 TQ
Unitronic: 63 HP, 58 TQ
Eurodyne: 45 HP, 70 TQ

Stage 1 93 Octane:
APR: 74 HP, 98 TQ
Unitronic: n/a
Eurodyne: n/a

Stage 1.5 91 Octane:
APR: n/a
Eurodyne: 60 HP, 88 TQ

Stage 1.5 93 Octane:
APR: n/a
Unitronic: 83 HP, 70 TQ
Eurodyne: 71 HP, 100 TQ

Stage 2 91 Octane:
APR: 89 HP, 99 TQ
Eurodyne: In development

Stage 2 93 Octane:
APR: 106 HP, 100 TQ
Unitronic: 105 HP, 88 TQ
Eurodyne: In development

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
We also correctly update the flash counter.

Are you really posting this on an open forum? :eek: I hope Mr VW does not see it.

You are basically admitting you can fool VW to pay out on any warranty failures.

I have heard about reseting the ecu counter, but this would need to be done via a laptop not handheld.

Also, I'm sure Mr VW could see the date & time it was flashed if they decided to look deep enough.

The so called un detectable is not 100% true.

Rappy :cool:

carterruss

Ready to race!
Not just the flashing, but the troubleshooting when your car is throwing codes. If you flash at home and you get a CEL or have driveability issues, are you going to take it to VW?

In the event you throw a code, the Eurodyne PowerTap can do some diagnostics from my understanding (haven't needed to). Eurodyne support seems to be pretty responsive to people with tune issues.

What happens when an APR dealer is 2 hours away? Are they going to drive to you when you have driveability issues? Is the shop going to diagnose it for free (I don't know so maybe they will)? From what I have seen some dealers don't have labor charges, some do. Some are quality, some seem not to be.

sean@apr1

Passed Driver's Ed
You are basically admitting you can fool VW to pay out on any warranty failures.
No, I'm saying that we reset the flash counter.
I have heard about reseting the ecu counter, but this would need to be done via a laptop not handheld.
Yes, our flashes are installed by dealers using a PC connected back to a server at our office. We record all the settings on the ECU the first time it's flashed and put them back on subsequent flashes back to stock.

Also, I'm sure Mr VW could see the date & time it was flashed if they decided to look deep enough.
ECUs don't work like that.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
In the event you throw a code, the Eurodyne PowerTap can do some diagnostics from my understanding (haven't needed to). Eurodyne support seems to be pretty responsive to people with tune issues.
There is usually a bit more involved in diagnosing (and subsequently fixing) problems than reading the DTCs stored in the ECU.

Scottmk7

Ready to race!
There is usually a bit more involved in diagnosing (and subsequently fixing) problems than reading the DTCs stored in the ECU.
Eurodyne does do more than just pull codes. It will log data that can be looked at and can be sent to eurodyne for review. You can also do some coding such as defeating the ESC.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Understood. But unless the fault lies with the ECU program and the problem is solved with a flash of a newer version, you'll likely need to pop the hood and start looking at some greasy bits. That's where having an experienced tuner who knows the hardware and software is nice.

davo441

Ready to race!
I been looking for this type of conversation. I have had my gti for about 3 month and after reading this thread I'm kindna leaning towards Eurodyne. But most people here that chose Eurodyne, apr was about 1-2 hours away and I understand that I would of gone Eurodyne already. However I have a apr dealer 15min away, I can just drive there flash and be done. But I like Eurodyne ability to flash to any stage free, so I still don't know which one to go with. Also I know if you are a apr customer when stage 3 comes out I won't pay as much as a first timer. I don't know can't make my mind up too much good and bad for both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk