GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne vs APR

drsiddiqui1

Passed Driver's Ed
It seems like Eurodyne and APR flashes have roughly the same gains. I was cross shopping these two and was looking for user experience/reviews regarding the two. I know one big plus is the ability to flash back to stock with Eurodyne at home for those who still have warranty. However I have heard much more about APR and have only recently heard of Eurodyne (coming from BMW community). Any advice would be awesome!

carterruss

Ready to race!
Personal opinion: Go with Eurodyne.

From my observation it seems they send out more updates to their tunes than APR does.

You have the ability to flash at home.

Free upgrades between stages.

I am new also but I have gathered they will have Maestro eventually (which seems like the ability to custom tune)

I think APR is vastly overpriced across the board. I'd rather someone spend my money on R&D than fancy marketing.

(I could be wrong but that's what I see)

Hwcn

Ready to race!
It seems like Eurodyne and APR flashes have roughly the same gains. I was cross shopping these two and was looking for user experience/reviews regarding the two. I know one big plus is the ability to flash back to stock with Eurodyne at home for those who still have warranty. However I have heard much more about APR and have only recently heard of Eurodyne (coming from BMW community). Any advice would be awesome!

Eurodyne is a better value and convenience proposition.

Unitronic has great customer service.

APR has ????

drsiddiqui1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys, I believe Unitronic has lower gains than Eurodyne and APR. Anyone here with Eurodyne currently? I'm wondering if any codes are thrown and how the reliability is. I had a BMW 335 with JB4. It was pretty solid as long as you replaced the spark plugs more frequently than OEM recommendations. Would that be the same case for these tunes?

sean@apr1

Passed Driver's Ed
We don't need to update ours, it was good from the beginning. :) We also correctly update the flash counter.

I don't think anybody has done a proper side-by-side dyno, but we do currently hold the stock turbo 1/4 mile records.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
APR has ????
A great tune and the largest dealer network.

Some people enjoy working on their cars and doing things for themselves, others want a turn-key solution with support that comes from having an authorized reseller network. To each his own.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Personal opinion: Go with Eurodyne.

From my observation it seems they send out more updates to their tunes than APR does.

You have the ability to flash at home.

Free upgrades between stages.

I am new also but I have gathered they will have Maestro eventually (which seems like the ability to custom tune)

I think APR is vastly overpriced across the board. I'd rather someone spend my money on R&D than fancy marketing.

(I could be wrong but that's what I see)

Frequent updates means they didnt take the time they should have taken to develop the tune before they released it. That's just the way I see it. I don't believe eurodyne has figured out how to reset the flash counter either, so the flash at home deal wouldn't really be saving you anything. Maestro would be the only advantage, but who knows if/when. When APR's turbo kits are released there will be no need for it anyways. :cool: But this debate can go on forever, not every product suits every owner.

carterruss

Ready to race!
Frequent updates means they didnt take the time they should have taken to develop the tune before they released it. That's just the way I see it. I don't believe eurodyne has figured out how to reset the flash counter either, so the flash at home deal wouldn't really be saving you anything. Maestro would be the only advantage, but who knows if/when. When APR's turbo kits are released there will be no need for it anyways. :cool: But this debate can go on forever, not every product suits every owner.

APR updates their software. APR updated their boost tap. Companies will continue to update products as they see improvements, fact across the board.

APR "says" they have figured out how to reset the flash counter but there has been numerous other sources that say regardless of them resetting that counter a dealer can identity flashed software.

Eurodyne doesn't cost $174 to upgrade to Stage 2.

When APR releases Stage 3, I am sure there will be other solutions to go Big Turbo that doesn't cost overpriced parts.

To each their own. I merely choose to support companies that provide a good balance of quality and cost.

Scottmk7

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, I believe Unitronic has lower gains than Eurodyne and APR. Anyone here with Eurodyne currently? I'm wondering if any codes are thrown and how the reliability is. I had a BMW 335 with JB4. It was pretty solid as long as you replaced the spark plugs more frequently than OEM recommendations. Would that be the same case for these tunes?
I like the flash at home for Eurodyne you can also fully defeat ESC, read and clear codes and perform performance logs with the flash tool. I Have been running stage 2 for around 3 months and have had zero issues. And I ran stage 1 for about a month before that with zero issues. If you plan to go BT everything could change based on what you want.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hwcn

Ready to race!
A great tune and the largest dealer network.

Some people enjoy working on their cars and doing things for themselves, others want a turn-key solution with support that comes from having an authorized reseller network. To each his own.

Can not comment on the tune, but I am sure it is great.

However, while they have the largest dealer network, it does not mean it is the best.

If we ever get a local tuner in State College, PA, I will probably use whatever they offer. Driving two hours for a tune is not convenient and the two different tuners that I used for my MK6 platform (both APR dealers) have lead me to question the quality of their dealer network.

This is why I tried Eurodyne. I have no problem with updates and tweaking of tunes. My car runs great with the tune and I did not have to drive two hours to have it done.

Just my experience.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie

Eurodyne has made it clear that the flash counter is reset to 1 when returning to stock, which I believe is the same way it is addressed by APR.

Coming from the Subaru world, where pretty much everyone is tuned either with Cobb or with open source, both of which are tune-at-home products, I think having to go into a dealer and pay a labor charge on top of overpaying for the tune is pretty ridiculous. The technology is there. APR could make theirs user-installable as well, but they choose not to.

carterruss

Ready to race!
I was under the impression that both tunes reset the flash counter?

See Below:

George Smooth said:
From the information I have gathered any original flash update on the new ECU’s comes with a specific location identifier like a IP Address. Its specific enough that the dealer can be identified globally and the date (this is known as the date stamp and I was told by tool developers this is the first hurdle). So any tampering with the software even when the codes are flashed back to standard tune later with a flash counter reset will not have the correct location identifier even if the flash counter is in agreement with what is in the VW database. When the new BMW’s came out they could be flashed using factory tools that where pirated i.e. Same IP address across all tools and even though factory software was used to make the changes the IP created a flag. The moral of the story is if they dig deep enough they can find that its been flashed. Issues will start to crop up if for whatever reason there are factory updates required on the cars.

ZrC

Ready to race!
Eurodyne is a better value and convenience proposition.

Unitronic has great customer service.

APR has race teams and a private jet.

Fixed for you.

Joking aside, being able to flash at home is a big plus. It saves on travel to the dealer (closest APR dealer is 1 hour away since all the local shops dropped them) and potential APR dealer fees for the flash. Also good luck flashing back to stock when your car is having issues and you can't make it to your APR dealer. Just ask the tow truck driver to swing by the on the way.

This is coming from a person who had 3 cars with APR.