GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Updates

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
My opinion? Is because they have better gas in Canada where they did all the work to define the timing curve.
Makes sense. I noticed I only get about 25 psi max. If I lower timing will it increase boost to compensate to try to hit the torque target?

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
This is stage 2 adjustable file with settings 93/28. Using 93 octane. The 2nd one actually has about 3gallons of e85 in the tank.

Without actually looking at the logs (since I'm on my phone and datazap hates me) I'm gunna go out on a limb and say part of the issue could be winter gas.

My car with the "stock" eurodyne timing maps couldn't run knock free on 93 octane with the slider set to 93 even on summer fuel. Forget about it on shitty winter gas. I usually ran 91 on the slider just for peace of mind.

Someone else more familiar with ignition tuning probably has more valuable input.

Edit: @Diggs24 beat me to it

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Makes sense. I noticed I only get about 25 psi max. If I lower timing will it increase boost to compensate to try to hit the torque target?

Boost is limited by a number of things, only one of which is the slider.
"Max turbo pressure ratio" table looks to be a factor based on the way the curve looks. Could be wrong though. Check that table and see what yours is set to.

It goes max clutch torque -> airflow setpoint -> airflow gets calculated internally to target boost. Then the limiters come into play. In general.

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
Boost is limited by a number of things, only one of which is the slider.
"Max turbo pressure ratio" table looks to be a factor based on the way the curve looks. Could be wrong though. Check that table and see what yours is set to.

It goes max clutch torque -> airflow setpoint -> airflow gets calculated internally to target boost. Then the limiters come into play. In general.
I have to check this in maestro, correct? Right now I'm on the base adjustable file and not the maestro file. Is there a way to pull the adjustable file down to look at it?
I tried the maestro map but it doesn't run as well as the adjustable file and I'm not nearly savvy enough to tweak it unfortunately.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
So, without getting too far in depth since you're not using the maestro file:

Boost targets are set based on an airflow target, which is set based on driver requested torque.

It doesn't look like you're hitting any limits, so you're probably hitting the airmass target at that boost level. It's tough to know for sure since the airmass value that ED logs is capped.

Since the slider only works as a ceiling, if there's something in the tune preventing you from hitting that ceiling, it won't have any effect.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Can y'all take a peek at these few logs for me? Getting some bad knock on one of them. The others have a max of -3.3.
This is stage 2 adjustable file with settings 93/28. Using 93 octane. The 2nd one actually has about 3gallons of e85 in the tank.
Do I just need to turn down the slider or do I need to take a look at my plugs? My plugs were last changed about 14k miles ago. I'm on stock plugs.

Bad knock. This is the first log I've seen that much knock retard: https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/log-1609250300?log=1&data=1-21
https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/log-1609250300?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/log-1609250300?log=2&data=1
What car is this on?
Also supporting mods?
Downpipe is a given on stage 2, what kind of intake do you use?

Can’t run 93 slider on 93 gas. Try 91.
I've been running 93/25 on my R for a couple months now with no issues, though I've never logged it to be 100% sure. Now I think I may need to after reading the above.

Mostly use Shell Vpower 93 octane...
Full bolt ons to include stock is38 DBV2 turbo intake pipe, r600 intake, turboback from milltek, wagner intercooler

Seemed to run well on the dyno about a month ago. Here's 3 consistent back to back runs:

Attachments

• PXL_20201206_175706801.jpg
    PXL_20201206_175706801.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 102

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
What car is this on?
Also supporting mods?
Downpipe is a given on stage 2, what kind of intake do you use?

I've been running 93/25 on my R for a couple months now with no issues, though I've never logged it to be 100% sure. Now I think I may need to after reading the above.

Mostly use Shell Vpower 93 octane...
Full bolt ons to include stock is38 DBV2 turbo intake pipe, r600 intake, turboback from milltek, wagner intercooler

Seemed to run well on the dyno about a month ago. Here's 3 consistent back to back runs:
2017 R w/ APR downpipe only. I have a high flow filter in the stock airbox and the snow grate delete as well. From what I understand that's perfectly fine for stage 2.
No intercooler yet.

I would log it. That is the worst knock I've gotten and it was soon after I filled up with Shell Vpower thinking I was getting better gas..The Shell station that I went too might not be the best though since it doesn't seem to get a lot of customers. That honestly might be the culprit. It could just be a bad tank of gas. I usually fill up at speedway with a little bit of e mixed in.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
2017 R w/ APR downpipe only. I have a high flow filter in the stock airbox and the snow grate delete as well. From what I understand that's perfectly fine for stage 2.
No intercooler yet.

I would log it. That is the worst knock I've gotten and it was soon after I filled up with Shell Vpower thinking I was getting better gas..The Shell station that I went too might not be the best though since it doesn't seem to get a lot of customers. That honestly might be the culprit. It could just be a bad tank of gas. I usually fill up at speedway with a little bit of e mixed in.
I was finally able to get some logs in... Looks like I have some knock, though not quite as bad as you had, it's still enough to make me question the octane level I currently have it set at.
https://datazap.me/u/atr/log-1609465084?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/atr/log-1609464898?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/atr/log-1609464721?log=0&data=1

Looks like most of my knock is in 4th gear and a bit in 3rd.

Also saw a tiny knock in lower RPM low load situations.
So yep, looks like I'm either experiencing bad gas and also need to kick the octane down a notch or two.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Doesn't look too bad. With Maestro you could just touch up the top end a bit so your aren't losing power all over by moving the slider.
Yeah, seems to get a bit knock happy when I stay in it for a good 3, 4, 5, 6 gear send. But it's not too horrible now that I've had some time to look over the logs. I'm thinking backing it down from 93 to 92 would probably be safe until I can get my big turbski on with extra fueling :D

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
Yeah, seems to get a bit knock happy when I stay in it for a good 3, 4, 5, 6 gear send. But it's not too horrible now that I've had some time to look over the logs. I'm thinking backing it down from 93 to 92 would probably be safe until I can get my big turbski on with extra fueling :D

Mine is the same way. Check out the logs below. I'm at a loss.

https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/log-1609962349?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/log-1609962600?log=0&data=1

First run is a 3rd gear pull and clean as can be. All of my 3rd and 4th gear pulls are very clean.
The 2nd is a 1/4 mile run with spark cut LC. I don't understand how it has so much KR and the run just before had absolutely none. Is this real knock??
I get these corrections on multiple gear pulls on 91 and even the 89 octane setting. Fuel is ~E30. 4 gallons of e85 and the rest 93.

These runs were back to back with same settings and fuel.

Also would like some thoughts on how boost and WG look.

• Wow
Reactions: ATR